Hog Roll Barrel

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah they will last at least a year, it depends on the amount of UV protection is in the plastic.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought the car wash white barrels would not last but I have some out 2 years now and I keep my spares in the shade.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those have held up well for a lot of people from what I hear

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just got 3 new barrels from a car wash. 1 is 55 gallon, the other 2 are somewhere between the 15 and 55 gallon size. The ones I had before had 4 holes, each hole about an inch drilled into em. Hogs empty them too fast though. I'll probably keep one of those for when im setting up a barrel in a new spot and then switch the barrel with a new one with less and smaller holes so it lasts longer. I also spray painted them camo bc my stepmom doesn't like how they stick out like a sore thumb on the property. Hopefully the paint job helps. Not sure if I want 1 or two 9/16 holes in these yet...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 21

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Blake my holes are 1/2" and 1 or 2 in a barrel, not trying to feed them but make them play and work for it.

I use washers and those bolts for dry wall with the spring barbs to cover holes, cover the 1" and drill new ones smaller

Last edited:

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is a great thread!! I've enjoyed seeing all the different setups and perspectives about hog barrels/tubes. We too used the PVC pipes but found them frequently broken and moved. So we switched to a plastic 55gal drum which has worked very well.

We keep some rocks in it to maintain the noise factor and make them exert a little more effort.

Attachments

• DSC09516.JPG
    DSC09516.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 28

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Took and old can feeder apart and used the motor, holds 1oo lbs. You attach the motor after cutting a hole in the bottom, then take the handles off and use the molded ears to put an S hook through w some chain. If these ears don't hold up I will drill holes, put eye bolts and washers in and silicone to hang them with. not bad for a $5 barrel. I put another feeder and a roll barrel out using these, will let you know if I have any problems.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, I would worry that the little plastic ears would degrade in the sunlight to the point that they could no longer hold that much weight. Upon their failure, your expensive feeder mechanism would be destroyed.

Consider putting a couple of welded eyebolts with really wide washers on the flats that serve as the molded in handles.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah they are $25 feeders, This is a TEST, I am hoping 1 will hold if 1 breaks?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think it is a great test. But if one breaks with half the load, then the other must surely fail with the entire load.

I just don't want to see you trash a mechanism, the are expensive to replace needlessly

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well judging from ears on my 15 gallon white roll barrels, I have never had one fail so we shall see.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok update...The square even though they are rounded are not workable as roll barrels.

However I have now converted my 3 feeders to the Blue 100lb barrels. Corn stays dry, no mold or condensation issues and with short feed times they sling for 2 weeks or more. We have had some bears on the property and so far 6 feeders have been hit. The 255lb barrels half or more full of corn are a loss to the hunters. I feel the blue barrels I am using limit my loss of bait. Next year I intend to replace my tripods that are holding the barrels with bear poles to keep the bait out of reach.

So far the ears I am using to hang the barrels are holding with no stress shown. lids are easy on and off. easy to fill with the large mouth opening. I tend to only fill with 75 lbs and it is lasting 3 weeks. I am out every week so top them off every 2 weeks or so.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got a roll barrel out that hasn't been touched me hogs all over the place. Shot one a month ago 25 yards from it but they won't touch the barrel

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got a roll barrel out that hasn't been touched me hogs all over the place. Shot one a month ago 25 yards from it but they won't touch the barrel
Blakester, I had one out for months in an area full of hogs also and they never would touch the thing either. Never figured out why except that there are a lot of crops and the hogs were feeding on the cattle pellets I heard from the local ranchers. Spoiled I guess.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well mine have trained every new batch to use the barrels but when I started using them in an area, I add dry dog food to the corn in the barrel. You can also put something they rally like on and around the barrel, koolaide/jello dry, bread/honey buns, whatever it take to get them on top of it, after that they smell the corn inside. AND each of mine are placed next to a timed feeder

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Blakester, I had one out for months in an area full of hogs also and they never would touch the thing either. Never figured out why except that there are a lot of crops and the hogs were feeding on the cattle pellets I heard from the local ranchers. Spoiled I guess.
Hogs are coming to the feeder but not the barrel. And I made the holes bigger so they could get the corn easier which worked on a nother property in he past. But not over here

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well try the koolaide/jello, i pour it in the barrel over the corn and shake it up, then sprinkle on the ground around the barrel.

png

Hi, there.

Great info. I followed the instruction and made 2 hog bait barrels with 1" holes drilled, spread soured corns next to the barrels when I checked on the barrels.

First barrel has been left in field for 2 months and the 2nd barrel for 4 weeks. No sign of hog moving the barrels. Like the previous post, I have just opened up the holes in hope of some activity.

The 2nd barrel is next to a feeder where I saw a hog 4 weeks ago. What did I do wrong, please?

Thanks.