LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate when meat candy is off the menu!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually, I don't think I will eat bacon and egg breakfast tacos again for a while....bacon coming back up through your nose is not real comfy... should have chewed my food better. lol
What kid wouldn't like "bacon boogers" ???

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When you throw your favorite concoction in the barrel, throw in a few dozen porous rocks that are too big to come out thru the holes - broken chunks of cinder blocks that fit thru the hole work well.
After a while, the rocks will soak up whatever you have in the barrel with them and smell for a few days after all the corn mixture is gone.
They will also block the holes a little when they roll by and help conserve the corn.
Pigs will continue to roll it around long after it's empty thinking the rocks are food they want to get out.

My super secret mixture is a gallon and a half of corn placed in an empty large mouth 2 gallon plastic "kitty litter" jug and add a cup of diesel, a can of stale beer and sometimes a little strawberry koolaid.
I mix it up in the jug and let it steep in the sun for a few days, turning the jug to remix the stuff a couple of times a day - just don't get this on you....LOL!!!
I try to keep a couple of jugs brewing and can dump the mixture directly from the jug into the pipe easily.
I do this for Feral Crack Pipes that are 4" x 5'....I couldn't afford to do it this way for a barrel....LOL!!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah you, I guess, can do that in a pig pipe, but in a barrel keep it dry. Any dry product is good, as large or small because it will break down w them beating the barrel to death. I have all mine down to 1 9/16 hole now to conserve the bait, still has them coming in. Also i use Kreso-Dip or old cooking oil and no petroleum products, I really don't want that in the food chain or ground pollution.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use pipes because I have them.
I only add diesel when there are squirrel and coon problems.
The beer and koolaid work fine with the corn and the beer sours after a while so you gotta vent the container as it swells up quite a bit sometimes.
Granted, if squirrels and coons ain't there now, they will be after the feeder goes off a few dozen times and they find the pig pipe....

Personally, I've never used a barrel like this but have seen plenty of feeders that were knocked over and rolled all over the place by piggies - one 30 gallon feeder travelled a couple of hundred yards and thru a fence....
As I have seen this quite a few times, maybe I should switch to barrels and the pigs will think someone knocked over another feeder for them to plunder.....things that make you go hummm...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine have cow bells on them so when I am in a stand and noting is there I can ring another cow bell and they think friends are hitting the barrel. I have 1 55 gallon barrel but prefer the 15 gallon(like a giant pig pipe) and only put 25lbs of corn and 2 lbs dry dog food in each...but like I said there is only 1 hole in each now...LOL

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I can't find those pickle barrels anywhere in my area.

I guess I'm going to have to cut an opening out of the top of a regular barrel and bolt it all back together?

Kind of sounds like a hassle to have to remember to carry a wrench around and have to bolt everything down every time I need to fill it.

Anyone know a better way to use the barrels when you have to cut your opening to fill with corn? I've seen the schematics where you use the angle iron to bolt everything down securely.

Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My 15 gallon are soap barrels from a car wash they usually toss them. Our feed stores, ace hardware and others carry the large barrels here. I had a 15 gallon stolen the other night, saw the footage and at least I now know the direction it went, something broke at the barrel end after 12 hrs of them flipping it.
PICT0163.JPG

Swine Slayers

LSB Member
I have actually been thing about doing this... Thanks for the pics... Just need to find a barrel...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I get the 55 gallon pickle barrels at feed stores and the 15 gallon barrels are from car washes, they held soap

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
has anyone tried chaining a pig pipe or bucket from a tree/branch so that its hanging suspended several inches off the ground, and still low enough that the pigs could hit it and get the right amount of the bait? Maybe the pipes/buckets and chains would last longer that way??? Or maybe it would at least be interesting to see how they go about reaching it if u started hanging it higher and higher over time until it was almost too high for them. hah jk....... no but seriously

I might try hanging one next time I go to my family's property, unless someone talks me out of it. Id like to use soured corn or something wet with a strong smell, so when it drips and spatters on the rocks below, wind will carry the scent farther away for a hog to detect?

Then again maybe, i'm thinking too much into it and a pig pipe on the ground is easier and works just as well

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well your holes would have to be in a different place, your hardware would need to be the same to last. I have hung a 5 gallon bucket but it never got the action as something on the ground. I have some baits hanging from trees all winter that they cannot reach and does not seem to have attracted anything.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I put four of the 15 gallon barrels out this weekend. I'm eagerly awaiting the results! Frank about how long do you barrels take before they run out? I only put a 50 pound bag in each of mine. I used two holes instead of one.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It all depends on how active the hogs are on the barrels. I only put about 25 lbs in mine. Sometimes they last a week others last a month. Be sure they are not on low spots to take on water and get the corn wet...if it does get wet take the bung holes out till they get all the wet corn out and then replace when empty and add the dry corn

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I also have long distance cow bells on mine, covers any noise I might make and some time I can call them in to the barrel area my ringing another cow bell from the blind or behind a tree. If they are not getting hit toss some bait around them so they figure out what it is, I also add a pound of dry dog food to the barrel for the smell.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Save the vomit for me to use in my pig pipes. I'm a bit strapped for cash right now.... Jkimage.jpg image.jpg
But on a serious note, this is how I set up my soon to be pig pipes. My dad has about 30 feet of 4 inch PVC (woulda preferred 6 inch but he's got it free). I'll bolt a ring into the top of one end cap to attach it to the wire rope and use PVC cement to keep that cap on permanently. I won't cement the other cap on the other end shut since the pipe isn't threaded. I'll drill screws into the sides of the end cap and PVC so the hogs can't get the end cap off but I'll be able to remove it when I need to refill it.

This is my first attempt at a pig pipe so criticism is welcome.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I started using the wire rope but after breaking and twisting up moved to chain and my clip swivels like that all eventually broke at the swivel portion. Good start though. The reason I use the barrels is they hold more corn, last longer w bait in them and when targeting give me a better idea of a hogs size.

raider

I have a bunch of 55 gallon drums. All of them are the closed head drums with the 2" bungs on the top. How are you guys filling these drums, or are they the open top style drums?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I like the smaller drums and plastic, they only have bung hole so I pour the corn in that way. I think metal drums are too heavy, not sure what you have.

raider

I have a lot of the 55 gal. poly/plastic drums around. They are all food grade drums that we use for our business. So you just use the 2" bung and a big funnel to fill the drums?