Hog Roll Barrel

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The purpose is to get hog to hang longer at certain areas on the lease and keep occupied. I know alot use the pig pipe but I prefer the barrels. The barrels give you an idea the size of the hog, are sturdier and can hold more bait for those that don't get to the lease as often.

I have a slinger/timed feeder at each plot or area I have a stand, then associate a roll barrel and a rubbing post close by all targetable from the shooting tower. Just make sure it is far enough away not to get tangled on the legs.

I use heavy chain or wire rope to connect the barrels to a ground anchor (long ones w the plate at the bottom)or 2 cinder blocks. I have 2 size barrels I like the free ones are from a car wash (held soap) and are 15 gallon and refillable through a bunghole, the others are 55 gallon plastic barrels with screw on tops $22. Only dry corn, corn on the cob dry or dry dog food or all 3 are the bait. 40-50-75 pounds of bait, what ever you can afford.

OK, everything is extra heavy duty, they will break things and your barrel will be 100yds or more away from where you put it. Get your barrel and install a hard point, on the large barrels I do this on the opposite end from the top, use a eyebolt with a washer on the outside and inside and double nut and use loctite. I start with 2 or 3 9/16 holes(cause I am cheap) drilled into the barrel high low and middle opposite sides.

Hardware: Heavy duty, hogs break things! Every time you transition from the eyebolt to the chain to the cinder block install swivels. I use 7-10' lengths of chain or wire rope, the area needs to be flat and clear of things that can tangle it, so you can play w how long you want this. Oh my small barrels the have a handle I knock out then use a clevis bolt to replace for the hard point. If you sue snaps or clips use the kind that pull out not push in, typically I wrap w duck tape and the hog can and will open these.

I have cam pics of hogs beating these to death for hours, the laying down beside them to rest and going after it again. If the holes are too many or too large they will empty a barrel overnight so experiment with them, the 9/16 and 2 holes is good, 3 gives a little more corn. 2 holes and they are good for a week or 2 and if you put dry cob corn it lasts even longer. The dog food should be the large kibbles and as stinky as possible. When you are first starting toss some corn around the barrel to get them started, they learn quickly.

Attachments

• PICT0380.JPG
    PICT0380.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 223
  • PICT0381.JPG
    PICT0381.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 202
  • PICT0382.JPG
    PICT0382.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 188
  • PICT0383.JPG
    PICT0383.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 195
  • PICT0384.JPG
    PICT0384.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 194

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
more pics of examples

Attachments

• PICT0385.JPG
    PICT0385.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 167
  • PICT0386.JPG
    PICT0386.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 144

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
More and more, sounding like baitin' for bears.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOOK^ LOOK^ I am a Sticky!!

Yes it is alot like baiting for bears. I also have troughs out for spoiled produce, scraps or peanut butter and jelly. Cut a 24" culvert in half 4-5' long, only use these the night of the hunt.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Buddy, you ARE sticky. LOL. Makes sense though... I've heard folk argue both sides of the fence as to whether or not bears/pigs are kin.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Definatly sticky worthy and good wright up. Good job frank

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
SERIOUSLY.....!..... you cannot make this setup too sturdy. The weak point are the swivels and if you do not use Loc-Tite on the bolts THEY WILL come loose.

As Frank stated...start with the smaller holes and widen them out as needed...OR....how much money you have to spend on corn. I had a bbl that some tape come off of the "extra" holes and the hogs emptied it (probably 60lbs of corn)in one night.

Throw in the bbl anything that is stinky....wet cat food,dry dog food,a can of Sardines,etc. I even use catfish bait....BUT....don't get any on you or on your boots. However if you use anything but dry corn,expect coyotes which IMO will not hurt the hog hunting except for keeping the sows away when they have piglets. After they become shoats they will have nothing to fear from a coyote....especially if they stay with the sow.

Then.....there is KRESO-D ------>> But that's a different story. --- pruhdlr

shootinstuff1018

The purpose is to get hog to hang longer at certain areas on the lease and keep occupied. I know alot use the pig pipe but I prefer the barrels. The barrels give you an idea the size of the hog, are sturdier and can hold more bait for those that don't get to the lease as often.

I have a slinger/timed feeder at each plot or area I have a stand, then associate a roll barrel and a rubbing post close by all targetable from the shooting tower. Just make sure it is far enough away not to get tangled on the legs.

I use heavy chain or wire rope to connect the barrels to a ground anchor (long ones w the plate at the bottom)or 2 cinder blocks. I have 2 size barrels I like the free ones are from a car wash (held soap) and are 15 gallon and refillable through a bunghole, the others are 55 gallon plastic barrels with screw on tops $22. Only dry corn, corn on the cob dry or dry dog food or all 3 are the bait. 40-50-75 pounds of bait, what ever you can afford.

OK, everything is extra heavy duty, they will break things and your barrel will be 100yds or more away from where you put it. Get your barrel and install a hard point, on the large barrels I do this on the opposite end from the top, use a eyebolt with a washer on the outside and inside and double nut and use loctite. I start with 2 or 3 9/16 holes(cause I am cheap) drilled into the barrel high low and middle opposite sides.

Hardware: Heavy duty, hogs break things! Every time you transition from the eyebolt to the chain to the cinder block install swivels. I use 7-10' lengths of chain or wire rope, the area needs to be flat and clear of things that can tangle it, so you can play w how long you want this. Oh my small barrels the have a handle I knock out then use a clevis bolt to replace for the hard point. If you sue snaps or clips use the kind that pull out not push in, typically I wrap w duck tape and the hog can and will open these.

I have cam pics of hogs beating these to death for hours, the laying down beside them to rest and going after it again. If the holes are too many or too large they will empty a barrel overnight so experiment with them, the 9/16 and 2 holes is good, 3 gives a little more corn. 2 holes and they are good for a week or 2 and if you put dry cob corn it lasts even longer. The dog food should be the large kibbles and as stinky as possible. When you are first starting toss some corn around the barrel to get them started, they learn quickly.
Thanks for the insight. Like the idea alot

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When the hogs come to a feeder they eat the corn and leave what 15min? With the roll barrels they beat them up and can stay hours and keep coming back all night, it certainly creates much more activity than if you don't have them baited.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And to think, I had no use for my big 55 gallon drum. I was about to toss it or cut it in half to let a friend use part for running his boat motor. No I have a better idea lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now I have never used a metal barrel but no reason is will not work. My favorite bait to put in them is dried corn on the cob, the hogs knock it off the ears when tumbling the barrel and it lasts longer. I use either the plastic big pickle barrels w screw on tops or my 15 gallon old soap barrels for the size.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine is a plastic 55 gallon

Rat-30

D/FW Texas
I've used 4" PVC pipes, swivels, on chain with swivels, around a tree. Hogs broke the glued on caps off, twice. This looks like a great idea.

Question: Do they hogs not roll/drag the drum away, with the cinderblocks loose on the ground?

Thanks!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do use the 24" anchors at times but the cinder blocks work very well. It is tough to drag a rectangle block thru the dirt/sand/mud/brush, I do have 2 blocks on each barrel, very hard to drag(cost, anchor $15, 2 blocks $2.50). The most I have had them moved is 10yrds and that was after an all night beating...LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bait, all dry Loose Corn, cob corn, dog food, catfish pellets, anything that is dry and smells.
A few more examples

Attachments

• PICT0384.JPG
    PICT0384.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 62
  • PICT0387.JPG
    PICT0387.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 72

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is that a large screw on cap on the pink barrel? If so what kind of barrel is that and how large is it?

Thanks

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes those are screw tops, pickle/pepper barrels 59gallon about $20 ea. We found it is better to put the hard point on the bottom because the hogs will unscrew the top sometimes if it is there.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Where can you get a barrel like that? I know a person who runs two restaurants locally but they don't use supplies like that?

Are we talking a place like Wendy's and pickles for their hamburgers at an individual restaurant?

Thanks