Hog Roll Barrel

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting Tactics & Tips' started by FrankT, Jul 8, 2013.

1. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Let's all sing along as we drink our beer —

Rooolllll out the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun …

FrankT likes this.
  2. Wildfowler

Wildfowler Mis'sippi SUS VENATOR CLUB

Looks like he was trying to Pork it?

FrankT likes this.
  3. Richard Teague

Richard Teague LSB Member

I build my hog toys out of blue syrup barrels for soft drinks like Dr. Pepper, 15 gallon I think and they look like FrankT's white barrels. He is good on the barrel end but I use T posts and put a ring, removable link, swivel, removable link on that end of the chain. The ring really keeps down tangles. I usually change the empty hog barrels out with full ones and just dropping the ring over the end of the Tpost makes that easy. I also remove the handles but run a quick link, swivel and then a removable link attached to the chain. I wire the quick link closed with bailing wire. My favorite bait is corn, pour a package of strawberry jello mix , 2 ounces, then I will pour a quart or so of used cooking oil on top of the jello into the 40-50 pounds of corn. I let the pigs mix it by rolling it around. If you have problems getting them to fool with the barrels build a 5 gallon bucket hog toy and use 3/4 inch holes which should be made near the top of the bucket or barrel to make it easy to handle without spilling bait all over. My barrel hog toys get 5/8 inch holes, three evenly around the end the chain is attached to and one the hogs start hitting them I will put good duct tape over one or two of the holes. It is important to have swivels at both ends and Tposts weigh less than cinder blocks!

fubar1217 likes this.
  4. Bass Cat

Bass Cat New Member

I put out two barrels at my ranch and have had very little (basically no) hog activity near the barrels. It has been about 2 weeks. At what point should I look at moving them to a different location. One is a near a well traveled game path, near water that was loaded with hog tracks. The other one I took a chance and put in the middle of a field without tall grass. They'd need to run 50-60 yards to get to cover.

5. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

did you put some bait around them? As a starter I want smelly food where they have to move the barrel to get to it or coat the outside with peanut butter(jar is $1 at the dollar store) and not make the barrels too heavy. Also try some sow in heat,boar urine or whatever

6. Bass Cat

Bass Cat New Member

Yes, i bought some Hog Wild and also poured about 20 lbs of corn around each barrel. I do have some sow in heat. I will try some of that this weekend and see if they start checking out the barrels. I appreciate it.

FrankT likes this.
  7. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

I generally put mine where they come anyway like at a timed feeder. Then no matter where I put them they know what to do.

8. 437

437 LSB Active Member

We tried that too moving them out in a field along with holes. No activity at all even our stink soured corn holes are untouched nearly a month later. Our pigs will not leave the cover of woods more than maybe 20 yards. Not sure where you are located we are in central Gulf Coast FL, but 99% of our pigs come up from a state preserve or state park which are scrub oak swamp habitat. To our east, north and west are housing developments. When we redeploy our barrels after spring turkey they will be in our fenced off food plots which unfortunately sit right on the edge of the woods, but it is what it is they are not dumb plus it will keep the cows off them. When our feeders shut down for spring turkey they simply left the property it's been 5 weeks since a pig has been seen. This time last year I had a green light and was killing at least 1 pig every other trip, but we also left 2 swamp feeders on last season....this year the big gobblers were going to bed right at those locations so we had to shut them down since we can't hunt turkeys within 100 yards of baited areas be it feeders or on the ground in any capacity. We will still keep one barrel out in a field just to see if we ever get lucky, but given our layout of fence line and habitat I'm not placing any bets!

Good luck and let me know if you find any magic to get them out in the open.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  9. Gabe

Gabe New Member

I currently have a pig pipe at a property and I’m going to replace it with a 30 gallon barrel. I’m looking to refill less( pig pipe is lasting a couple days tops)

Can I put 50lbs of feed in a 30gal and Not be too heavy for pigs to roll?

How many holes, size and where On barrel? ( want corn to last at least a week maybe 2)

10. FrankT

I use a 15 gallon barrel with 25-40 lbs so you will be OK, I put 1 9/16 hole in the barrel, 2 if you wish on opposite sides to get it to last longer. Persistent hogs will roll all night though so you will just have to see what happens with a camera on the barrel. Bait around and under the barrel to get it started. I have also put dried corn cobs in them and a 1/2 brick to knock the corn off the cob to last even longer. Add a couple of cups of cheap dry dog food mixed in the corn and a handful of pebbles that will not fit through the holes.