Hog Roll Barrel

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Let's all sing along as we drink our beer —

Rooolllll out the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun …

Richard Teague

LSB Member
I build my hog toys out of blue syrup barrels for soft drinks like Dr. Pepper, 15 gallon I think and they look like FrankT's white barrels. He is good on the barrel end but I use T posts and put a ring, removable link, swivel, removable link on that end of the chain. The ring really keeps down tangles. I usually change the empty hog barrels out with full ones and just dropping the ring over the end of the Tpost makes that easy. I also remove the handles but run a quick link, swivel and then a removable link attached to the chain. I wire the quick link closed with bailing wire. My favorite bait is corn, pour a package of strawberry jello mix , 2 ounces, then I will pour a quart or so of used cooking oil on top of the jello into the 40-50 pounds of corn. I let the pigs mix it by rolling it around. If you have problems getting them to fool with the barrels build a 5 gallon bucket hog toy and use 3/4 inch holes which should be made near the top of the bucket or barrel to make it easy to handle without spilling bait all over. My barrel hog toys get 5/8 inch holes, three evenly around the end the chain is attached to and one the hogs start hitting them I will put good duct tape over one or two of the holes. It is important to have swivels at both ends and Tposts weigh less than cinder blocks!

Bass Cat

I put out two barrels at my ranch and have had very little (basically no) hog activity near the barrels. It has been about 2 weeks. At what point should I look at moving them to a different location. One is a near a well traveled game path, near water that was loaded with hog tracks. The other one I took a chance and put in the middle of a field without tall grass. They'd need to run 50-60 yards to get to cover.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
did you put some bait around them? As a starter I want smelly food where they have to move the barrel to get to it or coat the outside with peanut butter(jar is $1 at the dollar store) and not make the barrels too heavy. Also try some sow in heat,boar urine or whatever

Bass Cat

did you put some bait around them? As a starter I want smelly food where they have to move the barrel to get to it or coat the outside with peanut butter(jar is $1 at the dollar store) and not make the barrels too heavy. Also try some sow in heat,boar urine or whatever
Yes, i bought some Hog Wild and also poured about 20 lbs of corn around each barrel. I do have some sow in heat. I will try some of that this weekend and see if they start checking out the barrels. I appreciate it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I generally put mine where they come anyway like at a timed feeder. Then no matter where I put them they know what to do.

LSB Active Member
I put out two barrels at my ranch and have had very little (basically no) hog activity near the barrels. It has been about 2 weeks. At what point should I look at moving them to a different location. One is a near a well traveled game path, near water that was loaded with hog tracks. The other one I took a chance and put in the middle of a field without tall grass. They'd need to run 50-60 yards to get to cover.

We tried that too moving them out in a field along with holes. No activity at all even our stink soured corn holes are untouched nearly a month later. Our pigs will not leave the cover of woods more than maybe 20 yards. Not sure where you are located we are in central Gulf Coast FL, but 99% of our pigs come up from a state preserve or state park which are scrub oak swamp habitat. To our east, north and west are housing developments. When we redeploy our barrels after spring turkey they will be in our fenced off food plots which unfortunately sit right on the edge of the woods, but it is what it is they are not dumb plus it will keep the cows off them. When our feeders shut down for spring turkey they simply left the property it's been 5 weeks since a pig has been seen. This time last year I had a green light and was killing at least 1 pig every other trip, but we also left 2 swamp feeders on last season....this year the big gobblers were going to bed right at those locations so we had to shut them down since we can't hunt turkeys within 100 yards of baited areas be it feeders or on the ground in any capacity. We will still keep one barrel out in a field just to see if we ever get lucky, but given our layout of fence line and habitat I'm not placing any bets!

Good luck and let me know if you find any magic to get them out in the open.

Last edited:

Gabe

I currently have a pig pipe at a property and I’m going to replace it with a 30 gallon barrel. I’m looking to refill less( pig pipe is lasting a couple days tops)

Can I put 50lbs of feed in a 30gal and Not be too heavy for pigs to roll?

How many holes, size and where On barrel? ( want corn to last at least a week maybe 2)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use a 15 gallon barrel with 25-40 lbs so you will be OK, I put 1 9/16 hole in the barrel, 2 if you wish on opposite sides to get it to last longer. Persistent hogs will roll all night though so you will just have to see what happens with a camera on the barrel. Bait around and under the barrel to get it started. I have also put dried corn cobs in them and a 1/2 brick to knock the corn off the cob to last even longer. Add a couple of cups of cheap dry dog food mixed in the corn and a handful of pebbles that will not fit through the holes.

LSB Active Member
Yes, i bought some Hog Wild and also poured about 20 lbs of corn around each barrel. I do have some sow in heat. I will try some of that this weekend and see if they start checking out the barrels. I appreciate it.

We have had 3 barrels out since end of April. All are about 50-200 yards out from places we shoot hogs routinely. Shot a single sow near the 200 barrel the first week looked like she was headed to it, but not so much as a fart on the others since then we have cell cams on them.. All full of corn hogs simply won't come out of the woods on that property. Pretty amazing to me, but oh well my time is done on that lease sans invites out from members so I'm not too concerned over it. Have found tons of property to hunt in the county the last month or so! Hope you were able to get them to your barrels.

Frank Bradley

We have had 3 barrels out since end of April. All are about 50-200 yards out from places we shoot hogs routinely. Shot a single sow near the 200 barrel the first week looked like she was headed to it, but not so much as a fart on the others since then we have cell cams on them.. All full of corn hogs simply won't come out of the woods on that property. Pretty amazing to me, but oh well my time is done on that lease sans invites out from members so I'm not too concerned over it. Have found tons of property to hunt in the county the last month or so! Hope you were able to get them to your barrels.
I just made a set up today to try the barrel out on hogs. I put about 45 lbs in the barrel with two 9/16" holes then 5 lbs on the ground. I mixed in a can of grape Koolaid for an added attractant. Now I wait to see if it takes.
See photo of my setup plus the boar I took July 1st that was playing with my feeders knocking them down:

20190819_152436.jpg

20190701_103539.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Big ol' bruiser!! He got his just reward for his presence. Congrats.

Frank Bradley

Big ol' bruiser!! He got his just reward for his presence. Congrats.
Thanks! Ratdog! If you look at all the extra feeder hardware I added just because of him you can realize how relentless he was. There was hogs before him but he was the one that taught be a few lessons on feeders. Since I took him out things have been much better. I was so relieved and happy to get him on the first night hunt I tried.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks! Ratdog! If you look at all the extra feeder hardware I added just because of him you can realize how relentless he was. There was hogs before him but he was the one that taught be a few lessons on feeders. Since I took him out things have been much better. I was so relieved and happy to get him on the first night hunt I tried.
Nuttin' a few chopsticks and some duct tape won't make "more gooder". LOL

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hog. I had one of those. He got really annoying and expensive. I finally gave up and hung my feeder from a tree where he couldn't get to any legs. I think I got him, but I still have a big bruiser coming around, so I'm not ready to put it back on legs in case the original hog taught his tricks to others in the area. Good luck with the roll barrel. Mine are stupid and can't figure out what the barrel is for.

Frank Bradley

Thanks Chopper!
He was a bad butt boar. Relentless is a good word for him. Once he found out banging on the feeder legs caused the corn to fall he wouldn't give up. He spent 15 hours working on that feeder to get it down over 4 nights (saw in on game camera). That is why I braced the legs and put large boulders around the them. On a different feeder that had round pipe legs I attached u-bolts to the legs about the height he would band into it. Then I cut the threaded ends on the bolts at 45 degree angle to make them sharp. That was the last time he beat on that feeder.

Another thing I did for the squirrels and coons climbing on the feeders I mixed some cyan pepper thick into vasoline to smear it on the legs. That has suit them down almost. They hardly come to the feeders. I wonder if the hogs got a taste because they have not been around either.

Frank Bradley

Nice hog. I had one of those. He got really annoying and expensive. I finally gave up and hung my feeder from a tree where he couldn't get to any legs. I think I got him, but I still have a big bruiser coming around, so I'm not ready to put it back on legs in case the original hog taught his tricks to others in the area. Good luck with the roll barrel. Mine are stupid and can't figure out what the barrel is for.
Hey Copper,
I noticed your hog count kill. That is far more than I have killed in my short span of opportunity. Congrats to you!
You might have heard of others having high kill counts. I know of one. I ask my cousin who has a farm near St. Antonio the most he has killed in one day. He said 175 from a chopper using a M16 with red dot scope. Amazing!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Those guys doing the heli-hog hunts have a blast. I have looked into it a few times, but just can’t swing the price. I just met an individual who said he would love to take me out to some of the properties he has access to after hunting season. He claims to be able to kill up to 50 a night with simple night vision equipment. All of my kills have been 1 or 2 at a time in thick woods except for one great night of 7. I could have a much higher count by now but I have a hard time getting motivated by myself and when it’s so dang hot. Getting a lot of pictures at my feeder so I’m letting them get over confident. lol

Frank Bradley

I just made a set up today to try the barrel out on hogs. I put about 45 lbs in the barrel with two 9/16" holes then 5 lbs on the ground. I mixed in a can of grape Koolaid for an added attractant. Now I wait to see if it takes.
See photo of my setup plus the boar I took July 1st that was playing with my feeders knocking them down:

View attachment 7504

View attachment 7505
Today I am updating for the results of the hog roll barrel I put in the pasture about 2 weeks ago. There has been no hog activity at the hog roll barrel aside for cows.

I also have the regular game feeder about 60 yards for the hog roll barrel and another about 250 yards away. There has been no hog activity at either any of three potential spots. I wonder what happen after consistent hog activity in the feeder spots all summer?

I have an ideal it was something I did but can't prove it. I mixed a lot of cyan pepper with Vasoline then applied it to the feeder legs to deter racoons and squirrels form climbing, etc,. That was done right before the hogs stopped coming to feeders.

In summary the hot Vasoline was very effective in getting the critters off the feeders legs. During the hog weather some of the hot Vasoline dripped and ran off to the ground. Maybe some hogs got some corn with it and it didn't agree with their taste. Oh well! If they don't come back it will not make my mad.

I can always move the hog roll barrel to a different spot as needed.