Hog Roll Barrel

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting Tactics & Tips' started by FrankT, Jul 8, 2013.

1. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

just use a couple of cinder blocks, that is what I use

2. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

video of 1 of my setups

3. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Looks a little bit like our turf. Dang I can't wait to get out there Friday ugh. Hunting and fishing are the 2 activities I have actually grown to love more, not get tired of. The more I get the more I want.....I never want to leave the water or the woods when I'm in.

FrankT likes this.
  4. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy New Member

Finally! After about a month they are rolling the barrel. I was beginning to think my hogs were descendants of Larry the cable guy and were too "challenged" to learn how. I had coated the side with everything from cat food to maple syrup and had about given up. Now it looks like an alien UFO crop circle in the pasture. I have a bunch of pigs on game cam and three really large ones that I hope one of them to be my wife's first kill. I will keep you updated.

5. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

Great news. Once they figure it out it's game on.

6. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Congrats! Hopefully it produces some dead pigs for u!

7. Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee New Member

You've got this to a science!

8. FrankT

My roll barrel has been violated!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Jake, Wildfowler and RattlesnakeDan like this.
  9. FrankT

again

Jake likes this.
  10. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Any Port in a Storm. LOL!

FrankT likes this.
  11. FrankT

That is what he said...LOL

12. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

It might be my imagination, but I think he had a smile on his face.

FrankT likes this.
  13. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Let's all sing along as we drink our beer —

Rooolllll out the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun …

FrankT likes this.
  14. Wildfowler

Wildfowler Mis'sippi SUS VENATOR CLUB

Looks like he was trying to Pork it?

FrankT likes this.
  15. Richard Teague

Richard Teague LSB Member

I build my hog toys out of blue syrup barrels for soft drinks like Dr. Pepper, 15 gallon I think and they look like FrankT's white barrels. He is good on the barrel end but I use T posts and put a ring, removable link, swivel, removable link on that end of the chain. The ring really keeps down tangles. I usually change the empty hog barrels out with full ones and just dropping the ring over the end of the Tpost makes that easy. I also remove the handles but run a quick link, swivel and then a removable link attached to the chain. I wire the quick link closed with bailing wire. My favorite bait is corn, pour a package of strawberry jello mix , 2 ounces, then I will pour a quart or so of used cooking oil on top of the jello into the 40-50 pounds of corn. I let the pigs mix it by rolling it around. If you have problems getting them to fool with the barrels build a 5 gallon bucket hog toy and use 3/4 inch holes which should be made near the top of the bucket or barrel to make it easy to handle without spilling bait all over. My barrel hog toys get 5/8 inch holes, three evenly around the end the chain is attached to and one the hogs start hitting them I will put good duct tape over one or two of the holes. It is important to have swivels at both ends and Tposts weigh less than cinder blocks!