Hog Roll Barrel

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting Tactics & Tips' started by FrankT, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

I kind of figured that was the same design barrel, but if they had food products in them, you don't have to spend the time cleaning them out first and it gives you a couple more options of where to look.

2. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

yeah the soap just cleans the barrels...lol I have 2 cleaned out and in my shed pristine. Was going to put gas in them but was worried it would eat thru. My buddies make their own diesel from grease and I used a bunch of theirs and they smelled like fries and chicken as I left some grease in them, now the hogs really liked them!

Chopperdrvr likes this.
  3. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

Sounds like I would like them. Two major food groups "fries and grease". Yum.

FrankT likes this.
  4. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Frank.....'more is better' or no? Apparently I can get some ginormous barrels locally! The car wash guy said 'what do you want them for?'. When I told him he said 'hows $50 sound?'. That ended that one pretty quickly. Turns out CraigsList works well.

Plastic Drums / Barrels

FrankT likes this.
  5. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I picked up a bunch of 50 gal plastic barrels for free from FedEx Maintenance. Many companies buy them full of windshield washer fluid etc... I still have a bunch. Use em' for garbage cans, cut in half for watering barrels for livestock etc...

FrankT likes this.
  6. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Got the barrels from a car wash near the beach and chains etc from Depot just a few minutes ago going to build this week along with some other projects, scratching post, feeder shield. Thanks for the thread this is great. Make sure and let me know if you make it down my way this summer I will take you out on a night hog hunt. Maybe we will both have our thermals then!

FrankT likes this.
  7. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

Good luck, just ask if any questions!!

8. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Oh trust me I'm sure I'll screw it up so get ready for a question or two. I watched Texaslawman's video on putting it together and it 'looks' pretty simple.....uh hem.

FrankT likes this.
  9. 437

437 LSB Active Member

10. FrankT

11. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to going with a cinder block over an anchor post? One of the guys on the lease who had done pvc roll tubes said he could never figure out why his always got wound up around the anchor. I'm guessin gmaybe not enough swivels at junctions of chain/eye bolts etc?

12. FrankT

Mine are all tied to 2 cinderblock, they will drag 1 off. Still tangles up so try to use some heavy swivels

13. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Ok well dern. So cinder or post it's going to tangle up? Is there any reason not to use a tree? The spot we are going to prep tomorrow has a few trees, but in my mind I'm seeing that as the same problem

14. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I've got 15 gallon barrels I'm not sure how much corn that will be, but I'm guessing I know that will hold a 50 pound bag. Of course there are variables like how many and how often, but any ideas on my refill time frame with a single 9/16 hole? Just trying to get my buddy and I on a schedule of refilling guesstimates ...thanks

If anyone in Tampa is looking for some barrels I found a guy who is selling 15 gallon barrels for $10 I can pass along his info. He had over 300 today!

15. FrankT

Make your loop around the tree large and cover it with a hose. What tangles it all up it debris and hanging up on your post.

Yeah I put 25-40 lbs in the 15 gallon barrels and it depends on how much they hit them as to refilling, try for a week after they start coming to it

16. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Ok thanks Frank appreciate it. We are going to put this first rub post/barrel in a spot that traditionally has been a producer for us(the place where they ran off 2 giant 8's last winter!). Don't get tons of hogs, but they are always big boars. We are dying for some rain it's a dust bowl down here shouldn't be too long now. Friday is my day for getting this done.....gonna be sawing a lot of oak tree roots to get this post in deep enough whew.

17. Lrtx1

Lrtx1 LSB Member

A sawzall makes quick work of roots.

18. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Thanks man I'm trying not to buy a battery one we have a corded at the camp for deer. Might have to though I sent out an email to the masses and none of my pals seem to have a cordless.

19. Lrtx1

Lrtx1 LSB Member

How many extension cords ya got?:)

20. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I hear ya! I'm almost considering fastening carpet to existing trees in those areas we are doing rubbing posts. The open fields are a non-issue, bu tthe more I think about getting 3-4' deep through these roots the less enthusiastic I am:/