Hog Roll Barrel

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah the soap just cleans the barrels...lol I have 2 cleaned out and in my shed pristine. Was going to put gas in them but was worried it would eat thru. My buddies make their own diesel from grease and I used a bunch of theirs and they smelled like fries and chicken as I left some grease in them, now the hogs really liked them!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sounds like I would like them. Two major food groups "fries and grease". Yum.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I picked up a bunch of 50 gal plastic barrels for free from FedEx Maintenance. Many companies buy them full of windshield washer fluid etc... I still have a bunch. Use em' for garbage cans, cut in half for watering barrels for livestock etc...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck, just ask if any questions!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine are all tied to 2 cinderblock, they will drag 1 off. Still tangles up so try to use some heavy swivels

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Make your loop around the tree large and cover it with a hose. What tangles it all up it debris and hanging up on your post.

Yeah I put 25-40 lbs in the 15 gallon barrels and it depends on how much they hit them as to refilling, try for a week after they start coming to it

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Ok thanks Frank appreciate it. We are going to put this first rub post/barrel in a spot that traditionally has been a producer for us(the place where they ran off 2 giant 8's last winter!). Don't get tons of hogs, but they are always big boars. We are dying for some rain it's a dust bowl down here shouldn't be too long now. Friday is my day for getting this done.....gonna be sawing a lot of oak tree roots to get this post in deep enough whew.

A sawzall makes quick work of roots.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Thanks man I'm trying not to buy a battery one we have a corded at the camp for deer. Might have to though I sent out an email to the masses and none of my pals seem to have a cordless.

How many extension cords ya got?:)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
just use a couple of cinder blocks, that is what I use

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
video of 1 of my setups

PreacherBoy

Finally! After about a month they are rolling the barrel. I was beginning to think my hogs were descendants of Larry the cable guy and were too "challenged" to learn how. I had coated the side with everything from cat food to maple syrup and had about given up. Now it looks like an alien UFO crop circle in the pasture. I have a bunch of pigs on game cam and three really large ones that I hope one of them to be my wife's first kill. I will keep you updated.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great news. Once they figure it out it's game on.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats! Hopefully it produces some dead pigs for u!

Jimmy Lee

The purpose is to get hog to hang longer at certain areas on the lease and keep occupied. I know alot use the pig pipe but I prefer the barrels. The barrels give you an idea the size of the hog, are sturdier and can hold more bait for those that don't get to the lease as often.

I have a slinger/timed feeder at each plot or area I have a stand, then associate a roll barrel and a rubbing post close by all targetable from the shooting tower. Just make sure it is far enough away not to get tangled on the legs.

I use heavy chain or wire rope to connect the barrels to a ground anchor (long ones w the plate at the bottom)or 2 cinder blocks. I have 2 size barrels I like the free ones are from a car wash (held soap) and are 15 gallon and refillable through a bunghole, the others are 55 gallon plastic barrels with screw on tops $22. Only dry corn, corn on the cob dry or dry dog food or all 3 are the bait. 40-50-75 pounds of bait, what ever you can afford.

OK, everything is extra heavy duty, they will break things and your barrel will be 100yds or more away from where you put it. Get your barrel and install a hard point, on the large barrels I do this on the opposite end from the top, use a eyebolt with a washer on the outside and inside and double nut and use loctite. I start with 2 or 3 9/16 holes(cause I am cheap) drilled into the barrel high low and middle opposite sides.

Hardware: Heavy duty, hogs break things! Every time you transition from the eyebolt to the chain to the cinder block install swivels. I use 7-10' lengths of chain or wire rope, the area needs to be flat and clear of things that can tangle it, so you can play w how long you want this. Oh my small barrels the have a handle I knock out then use a clevis bolt to replace for the hard point. If you sue snaps or clips use the kind that pull out not push in, typically I wrap w duck tape and the hog can and will open these.

I have cam pics of hogs beating these to death for hours, the laying down beside them to rest and going after it again. If the holes are too many or too large they will empty a barrel overnight so experiment with them, the 9/16 and 2 holes is good, 3 gives a little more corn. 2 holes and they are good for a week or 2 and if you put dry cob corn it lasts even longer. The dog food should be the large kibbles and as stinky as possible. When you are first starting toss some corn around the barrel to get them started, they learn quickly.
You've got this to a science!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My roll barrel has been violated!

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
again

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Any Port in a Storm. LOL!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is what he said...LOL

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It might be my imagination, but I think he had a smile on his face.