Hog Roll Barrel

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have never had the hogs not use them and if they do in 1 night they will empty with 1" holes...add koolaide/jello powder.

png

Thanks, FrankT.

I have bought some strawberry flavored Jello power and will give it a try. Also planning to smear some peanut butter and honey on the outside of the barrels.
At a different spot in the same field, I have a feeder that is throwing corns. I don’t see hog signs there either. I will be disappointed if this means there aren’t many hogs in the area.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah first rule is hog have to be there, if they are they will hit the barrel.

png

I did see one hog while checking on a deer feeder. Only 20 feet away from me. Wished I had my hand-gun. He was not sacred of me, saw me and walked back into the woods. Yes, walking back not even running back. I setup the a bait barrel next to the feeder after that.

Only a loner?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
possibly but seldom will only 1 hog be in an area.

png

Update - 2 weeks after Jello power was added with holes being opened up, the barrels are now half full. Must have been worked on by hogs. Found hog tracks and newly rooted area nearby.

I have a 3rd site where only a deer feeder is setup without a hog barrel. That site looks taken by hogs and used at their home. Now there are definitely hogs. I am counting on the cameras to tell the extend and I am even considering a trap.

Thanks again for the help.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad it is working better for you, now close the holes smaller

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice work.

Persistence pays.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
any game camera pictures yet?

png

Unfortunately no deers nor hogs based on the cameras. I am showing up in the pictures, so camers are working fine. Before the cameras were up, my deer feeder was raided. Only unknow is by how many hogs. They have not been visiting since. Maybe I am being impatient. Here is that picture.
Hog_Tracks3.jpg

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
where are you?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I cant get the hogs on these roll barrels on this east Texas property. I have 3. 1 of them is 10 yards from a feeder. They have 25 lbs of dry corn in them with powdered koolaid or jello and the holes are about 3/4 inch just to get some activity. Once I train em I'll she on the holes but I can't even get em started on these barrels. They're all over em at my dad's place in west Texas?!?!!?
Any ideas why they're not attacking these barrels

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a place where there were hogs everywhere. Had 2 roll barrels (large pvc pipe), had them out for months and months and nothing would touch them. Don't know why?!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You just have to find something the hogs cannot resist and put it on and under the barrel not in it to teach them to roll it. I used Kreso D, sticky catfish bait, maydenhead fish spray, when the regulars do not work like koolaide and jello dry powder

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You just have to find something the hogs cannot resist and put it on and under the barrel not in it to teach them to roll it. I used Kreso D, sticky catfish bait, maydenhead fish spray, when the regulars do not work like koolaide and jello dry powder
Kreso-D? Isn't that a floor cleaner?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No it is a horse/cattle dip that smells like creosote

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just thinking about the difficulty of attaching a chain or cable if you don't have a lug built into the barrel. Just drill a hole large enough to pass the cable or chain through, then thread the cable in. Reach in with a coat hanger and grab the cable, pull it out the bung hole, and attach a piece of pipe, old mower blade, etc, pass it back through the bung hole and your done. I said mower blade because I'm in the lawncare business and have hundreds of them stacked up.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just thinking about the difficulty of attaching a chain or cable if you don't have a lug built into the barrel. Just drill a hole large enough to pass the cable or chain through, then thread the cable in. Reach in with a coat hanger and grab the cable, pull it out the bung hole, and attach a piece of pipe, old mower blade, etc, pass it back through the bung hole and your done. I said mower blade because I'm in the lawncare business and have hundreds of them stacked up.

Depend on the barrel. my white ones have a handle to mount the hardware after you remove the handle its self. The 59gallon pickle barrels I crawl into and have a large washer inside and outside, double nutted to lock. Instead of the washers you could easily use lawnmower blades. I have found cables make a mess so I use chain.

Happy R Ranch

Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a heluva idea. Gonna try a couple of these.