Hog Roll Barrel

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Over here most of the hardware stores carry them. Try ACE and the like. Some of the FRM feed stores also. Never seen them at Lowe's or Ho Mo De Po. They usually run $16-$22. --- pruhdlr

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What's the most weight you think the hogs can roll around in a barrel that size?

I've got 4" PVC pipes out now. Most of them only hold 20-25 lbs. I've got one that's really long but it's hard to fill up by yourself. It holds a good amount. Got one 6" inch PVC that holds over 40 lbs.Those heavier ones obviously last longer between refills.

Can the hogs roll a barrel with 100 lbs or more of corn in it?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Several feed stores in our area carry them for storage barrels from 20-59 gallons. The white one I like come from self serve car washes, they are soap barrels...Free to $5

If your holes are small 1/2" to 9/16 and only 2 no more than 3, 50 lbs is plenty, 100lbs is OK for extended periods of leaving it alone. The hogs team up on it, have seen 3-4 small ones on each side before. Easy for them to roll even w 100lbs.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Loose them pipes ..... get some barrels. Dump in two bags(80lbs)of corn. With the right sized holes it will last a very long time. Remember also...the longer it lasts and the wetter the corn gets inside,the "better" it smells. As a "bonus" throw a small can of el cheapo cat food in. NOW.......after a week or so,it smells like the douche room in the Lucky Lady Hotel in Bangkok. --- pruhdlr

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Loose them pipes ..... get some barrels. Dump in two bags(80lbs)of corn. With the right sized holes it will last a very long time. Remember also...the longer it lasts and the wetter the corn gets inside,the "better" it smells. As a "bonus" throw a small can of el cheapo cat food in. NOW.......after a week or so,it smells like the douche room in the Lucky Lady Hotel in Bangkok. --- pruhdlr
What pray tell were you doing in there? Your bringing back bad memories.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That aint right, somtin wrong wit that boy.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would guess... a cheap bastard COULD stuff the legs of some pantyhose in the bung and fill the pantyhose with corn, tie off the waist and let it fall in... and then add a bag or loose stuff. Wouldn't the "ripening" stuff "bagged" keep 'em coming and working it, but, gettin' nuttin' BUTT smell? LOL (with only the occasional treat?) (Barrel talk here)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes they can, or on the small ones I add some dry dog food for smell as it will not come out of the holes till it breaks up some. I have added a cow bell to each barrel and when I am in the stand I carry another bell, when I ring it the hogs think someone is feeding at the barrel. These are the long distance bells and are heard for a long way.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes they can, or on the small ones I add some dry dog food for smell as it will not come out of the holes till it breaks up some. I have added a cow bell to each barrel and when I am in the stand I carry another bell, when I ring it the hogs think someone is feeding at the barrel. These are the long distance bells and are heard for a long way.
I likes that idea !!! Condition 'em to come when called.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep, same way I have solar motion lights on all feeders, lights do not bother them either

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A friend picked me up some heavy 8" pvc water pipe from a job site. I made a nice hog feeder pipe out of it today. Free is good. Cut a piece of wood for one end, covered in rubber and screwed it in place. The removable end I made from metal I had, made a circle cap and welded on a heavy duty anchor point and welded nuts inside cap so I can use bolts through the outside to keep the lid on. I have some pretty nasty corn and misc food stuff festering in a barrel out back. I opened it today and Grunter, my little potbelly pig came running over for a treat, so it should work. Should be ripe in a few days so I can give this a try. I have a place about 60 yds from a tree stand setup. Best part is I have nothing into it, just used items I had laying around.IMG_0001.JPG

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice !!! Free is definitely GOOD !

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got 6 free 15 gallon white barrels today that you see in the original post here. Your are right, use whatever is FREE first.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I put 3 holes in it. My last one I put like 10 holes in it and the raccoons would clean it out after just a couple days. It is a 4". I was surprised you use so few holes, now I understand.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah the point is to give them a snack, not a whole happy meal. Trust me, I have had the hogs clean out 25lbs of corn with 3 -9/16" holes in 1 night. That is some barrel beating!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I put 3 holes in it. My last one I put like 10 holes in it and the raccoons would clean it out after just a couple days. It is a 4". I was surprised you use so few holes, now I understand.
Yup, more work, less reward is a good thing for the pocket book in this case. LOL

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So 3, I believe 11/16 holes are too many you think?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ratdog, What are you doing over here, I was waiting for part 3 of your Alaska story! You get back to writing. lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
11/16 is way to big, start w 3 -1/2", then expand them 1 at a time to 9/16 till they stay and you don't lose too much corn.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Frank, I worry about the corn not coming out enough by standing there looking at it, it seems like not enough or big enough but I will take your advice.