Just pulled the trigger on an IR Patrol

Louis Richards

LSB Member
You nailed that perfectly, as I did do an NUC without a cover right before it happened. Though I didn't have a clue that that meant anything until you just told me.

I'm not sure I understand why Shooting with the stock fully extended is an issue? What if you had a fixed stock like we carried forever and ever until a collapsible stock became the thing to do?

In the fully extended position, the rifle is much more balanced in my opinion and just easier to shoot. I have always shot with the back of the stock up against my shoulder, as with a shotgun, 3030, or A.R. 15. Just because it's collapsible doesn't mean I'm going to fully collapse it and shoot with her like that.

Louis Richards

LSB Member
JPK, I am considering leaving this on as my every day scope for daytime use as well. Have you tried using it like that or do you just use it for the night?

Louis Richards

LSB Member
Actually, now that I have the Wilcox mount and swung the patrol over out-of-the-way, I have my daytime optical scope will fit perfect. Any reason I couldn't just leave both scopes on permanently and for nighttime use, tilt the rifle on the side and use the IR patrol for night??? May look a little funky but seems like it would work perfectly!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Each piece of hardware mounted between the upper receiver's pic rail and the optic... is an invitation for one more "variable" (movement) to rear it's ugly head. Additionally, each time you mount the optic higher from the bore's centerline, your cheek weld is compromised, and shooting errors are magnified when the rifle is canted.

77374810001_817609977001_vs-817609670001.jpg

Too straight of a stance (less control of recoil for quicker f/u shots). Arms extended requires more use of stabilizer muscles. With an optic, inability to correctly use the optic w/o yet another piece of hardware to pull the optic back. As a result of raising the optic further away from the centerline of the bore, any shooting errors induced by canting the rifle are magnified.

6669925909_1c48bc5700_b.jpg

Good form. NTCH, bent at the waist, leaned in, stable footing. Weapon in close for better stability/quicker f/u shots. Good cheek weld for consistency, optic being closer to the bore's centerline lessens the effect of errors induced by canting the weapon off (a side to side state of) level.

Last edited:

Louis Richards

LSB Member
image.jpeg I'm really starting to like this concept as a give me the best of both worlds

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

JPK

LSB Active Member
The problem I have with the rail clips is that they interfere with mounting the other optics. I have a single one in front of the Patrol though.

I can't adjust the stock of the rifle with the MK II on it because of the battery pack. When it is secured adequately so that there is little for brush or whatever to catch on there isn't enough slack to adjust the stock. Anyway, I prefer not to adjust the stock in the field, and try to find a good compromise.

Also, I gave up on scanning with the rifle unless it's on a tripod. Too heavy, and I just default to my Patrol if I'm alone on my 19A if my son or a bud is using the Patrol.

JPK

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A little more on how being higher up off the bore's centerline effects POI when the gun is canted due to shooting error.

Shooting Accuracy

JPK

LSB Active Member
Louis,

You ought to look into one of the many scope mounts for AR's which are offset to allow the scope to be more forward but the base of the mount to remain on the receiver rail.

I am back to using my iPad in front of the boob tube, or I'd post a link, but the Burris PEPR mount is one example.

JPK

Louis Richards

LSB Member
I was always raised to shoot a rifle with the stock fully up against your shoulder, with a good cheek weld. Typical every day stance that you see

The only time I collapse the stock on my AR is when I'm trying to use it for easy maneuverability, to say stick it out around the corner of a wall or something like that.

I'm sure it matters if you're trying to get your group down to competition groups.

I personally have never had a problem hitting my target spot on at hundred yards like that and is just what I'm used to.

I will say, I have never once in my life sited in for over 100 yards so I can't say, but I am sure that at two and three and 400 yard shots, it probably does matter. But for being a prepper, I figure hundred yards is all that I'll probably wind up shooting :)

JPK

LSB Active Member
Eh, for an AR the centerline of your optic ought to be about 1.5" over the rail, iirc, the metric equivalent of 1.46" is the Military standard, and optics like the Patrol or MK II are set up I that way. If everything is about that height it leads to consistency of mount.

JPK

Louis Richards

LSB Member
OK, I took the extender off and put it back on normal. Collapse the stock and gave it a shot. Not too bad, I guess I can learn to live with it like that. I'm just not used to it yet! Just feels uncomfortable to me but I will say now that I know it's not an abnormal position seems to work better :)

What do people do who don't have a collapsible stock? How exactly are they supposed to hold a real rifle up against the shoulder while having the nose touch the scope almost?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have no problem with NTCH with my Colt A2 rifle with a fixed rifle length stock.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I can see the ir-laser on 12 o'clock with the thermal, at first, but once I'm outside for a while it cools down and disappears.
:)

==
Before collapsible stocks, people's muscles got tireder using muscle to compensate for sub-optimal positions. I had a fixed stock on one of my lowers until very recently and it was the q-14 that convinced to to switch it, as I realized I was stretching myself forward and using muscles that would tire more quickly.
In that case, I had the same problem you do, I couldn't get close enough to the q-14. But instead of trying to move the q-14 farther to the rear, I moved me farther to the front!
Every change takes getting used to, but you can't complete the getting used to it process until you begin.

Louis Richards

LSB Member
One of the issues is I always shoot with the bipod attached to the front and on a table so I don't have much standing up, always table or in the prone position. I might change my mind I had hold that thing up looking through the scope for a long while :)

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
... always table or in the prone position ...

Do you expect the tables to be just where you need them if whatever you're "prepping" for comes to pass? Do you even mostly expect to take a prone shot? I wouldn't expect either!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
... Anybody have some good links for a video of the IR patrol being used as a clip on? ...

Hey that sounds like a GREAT question for your bud Mr. DiCosola, why don't you call him up and have him send us some links like that! ;)

Louis Richards

LSB Member
Wig, in almost any case that I can think of, standing up versus laying down gives your enemy a much better target. So to answer your question, yes, I plan on doing lots of prone positions if SHTF.

But hey, youre welcome to stand up while we engage :)