Practicing with Night Vision

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good luck! All the practice should make for a smooth hunt even if the weather and hogs don't cooperate.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So how did your big game hunt in Texas go?? we need pics!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well congrats, did you have a good time and your equipment perform as expected?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Experience gain for me was huge ... TLM is the "King of the Hog Slayers" in my book. He can find them and get us setup to shoot, that is the hard part. Aiming and pulling the trigger is the easy part.

Only equipment problem I had was switch on the ir-laser would come on sometimes when I didn't want it to. I need to get a pressure switch. TLM loaned me one of his suppressors, so all of our shots were suppressed. I was surprised that exit wounds from 168gr AMAX were not big ugly holes, only one was, a gut shot. Those hogs are pure bone and muscle and sometimes there is no exit wound. They are tough creatures. When I touched dead hog 02 and pushed it around, it felt like a giant weight lifter, solid muscle. TLM says they build up a lot of muscle doing their "rooting" activity. They are extremely muscular.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here I thought TLM was just a "Rock Star" and "Legend"! "King of the Hog Slayers" is a good one.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Sus Venatae Rex !!!

(those who actually know greater than zero about Latin can correct :) )

==

They are really busy getting ready for Shot ... so posting pics of our shoot is probably pretty low down the priority list ...

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The AMAX is a target bullet, you will like the results better when using a hunting bullet.

Any energy that goes through the hog is wasted.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the 165 should really put them down, how do you feel about the recoil and follow up shots?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
125 for your dedicated coyote round

165 for hogs and deer and sheep

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
for me I would roll with the 165 sst and call it good

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
About to put in for a Silencer Co Harvester will work on 5.56, .308WIN and .300WM ... still cogitating on direct attach versus QD. TLM likes DA, he told me break/hiders add weight to front. It is also true if he had QD he wouldn't have been able to screw his "spare" suppressor on my rifle. So DA might be more flexible in that sense. Also DA might be lower cost as no need to buy the extra weight devices. But to move around between rifles, all would have to have the same threading. Like I would not be able to screw a DA on both my 7.62 and my 5.56. With QD I would. If I was running around with an M110 in Sadr City, I might want to remove the can for door bashing but put it on for longer range shots. But I am not doing that.
So, I'm leaning toward direct attach.

All thoughts welcome.

==
@BRD, yes I try to minimize the number of different types of ammo I shoot/stock for each rifle. That why I was hoping the AMAX would work for hunting. I also use XM80 for most of my target practice as it is cheaper than 168gr AMAX. But three types is not too many. So 165gr SST sounds good to me.

==

The 165gr SST also looks like it has a boat tail, whereas the 125gr SST does not.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can you not put an adapter on your 556 for DA, sure you can.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
If one does not exist I'm sure dollars could get one made, so yes.

So @Frank, does that mean your preference is DA? If so why?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't own one but if I did I would go DA, weight and much less cost...I think less is more

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You will want to get an *** barrel as the threads are the same on the 223/5.56 barrel as the 308 threads.

Normal barrels have different threads

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter