Practicing with Night Vision

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-12-28
2100-2200
20F
0 mph SE

Goal: 5.56 with thermal.

Environment: Cloudy, no stars, moon mostly obscured but a 50% size and still lighting up pastures.

Equipment: 5.56, sling, atlas bipod, thermal, 55gr, lrf, 14 on helmet.

Activity: On way out to target area, saw two deer. Stopped buggy and observed with thermal. After a while they went in the woods, so I got back in the buggy and went to target area a different way.
Put two hand warmers on left target. All shots are standing unsupported with thermal.

G01 - 50yds - 2 rds - 8+7 = 15 avg 7.5
Just over the top of the bags.

G02 - 75yds - 2rds - 7+6 = 13 avg 6.5
Still higher.

G03 - 100yds - 2rds - 5+6 = 11 avg 5.5
high.

G06 - 100yds - 2rds - 5+5 = 10 avg 5
high.
(the guy writing the group numbers on the target pic can't count :D )
It was time to try a 5 round group at the right side target

G07 - 100yds - 5rds - 8+8+9+7+5 = 37 avg 7.4

G08 - 50yds - 2rds - 9+9 = 18 avg 9

2014-12-28_zps8228f675.jpg

Results: I think I need to crank the reticle up one noch ( to lower the fall of shot ). I tried but couldn't get the menu to come up. I'll try it again back at the house. I adjusted aiming technique a bit. Even with two hand warmers the target isn't that clear at 100yds. It is fine at 50-75yds.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-12-29
2200-2300
20F
15 mph NNE

Goal: 5.56 with thermal and laser.

Environment: thick clouds, no stars, no moon, wind from the NNE.

Equipment: 5.56, ir-laser, sling, thermal, 55gr, lrf, 14 on helmet.

Activity: Put two handwarmers on left target for thermal. Right target for laser. All shots standing unsupported.

G01 - 50yds - 2 rds - 6+6 = 12 avg 6 (ir-laser)
High.

G02 - 75yds - 2rds - 8+5 = 13 avg 6.5 (ir-laser)
Tried to aim lower.

G03 - 100yds - 4rds - 6+7+9+9 = 31 avg 7.75 (thermal)
The wind started blowing strong enough to push me to the left sometimes, I est. wind 15 MPH, so I held a little to the right.

G04 - 100yds - 2rds - 5+8 = 13 avg 6.5
ir-laser getting faint, tried to aim at the black circle. Could see the black circle with the 14, but could barely see the ir-laser.

2014-12-29_zps54641a75.jpg

Results: I will change the primary aiming system from laser to thermal for pending hunt. I think switching from trying to use the eotech reticle to now using the internal reticle on the thermal is helping. With the laser I was holding high for the early shots, need to stop doing that apparently!

I think it is mostly about how/where to aim at this point. I actually think I'm zeroed well enough. I just need to aim better. And need to change batteries in the ir-laser.

IMAG1301_zps7af2e4f9.jpg

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-12-31
2130-2330
10F
10 MPH SW

Goal: Full kit walk.

Environment: 14F when I left, 12F upon return, starting to get cold. Wind averaging 10 mph with higher gusts. No moon or stars visible, but light from moon was burning through the clouds, giving light to the pastures.
Much equipment started freezing up on the return and back in the house lots of ice and water on the gear, I guess I went through a mini ice storm and didn't realize it.

Equipment: 5.56, sling, thermal, eotech, 3 mags with 20 rounds each, canteen, pistol, helmet, PVS-14, LRF, 3x mag for PVS-14, pack with 100rds of .338LM for weight and extra water. Clothing was teeshirt, light jacket, sweater and wetsuit top, plenty warm. Snow pants, plenty warn. Balaklava, gloves. Only exposed skin was face.

Activity:

Set out on foot, across Turtle Creek Bridge (we have fancy names for terrain features on our land, but this helps us know what we are talking about, when we tell each other where we went :) ). And up the slope just to the East of TCB. I know I often see deer and occasionally Coyotes on the next above this slope, just South of Turkey Bluff. So before reaching the crest, I turned on the thermal. Sure enoug, as soon as I could see over the crest of my rise, I saw one deer on the ridge at about 150yds. I was able to track it with the thermal. I made enough noise that it finished at about a 10 mph run into the woods on Turkey Bluff. Turkey Bluff is about 100 feet drop to the creek bank but there is one area where the bank has collapsed and formed an "isthumus" in the creek and the critters use this as their "ramp" to move up and down between the creek and Turkey Bluff. That's why I see so much critter activity in this spot.
Veered South to avoid Turkey Bluff and then continued East to our main pond. The wind on the top of Signal Hill (so called, because we can get a cell signal standing on top of this hill) was higher. Continued into East pasture and paused behind a tree line which sheltered me from the wind. Drank some water. Continued on to top of hill 1309 and then along East edge of "jungle" down to "Bob's Spring" ... the along the creek bank back towards the West. When I reached the lower Berm, I fired 10 rds from 5.56 and four rounds from m1911 to test their ability to cycle in the cold. I had done thorough cleanings and applied new silicon based lubricant, which is supposed to be good down to -110F. If this lube works, it will be a game changer for cold weather. We did not have lube like this in the Army I was in many eons ago. There were no cycling problems.
Then drank some more water, then headed back. The return walk was into the wind for about .75 miles, my face was getting wet, but I assumed it was my exposed eye tearing up due to the wind. As I approached Turkey Bluff from the East, I tried to turn on the Thermal. The on/off switch was frozen. I removed my gloves and took turns holding the switch until it thawed out enough to come on. Even the thermal lens cover was frozen on. But I was able to get it off.
I had put anti-fog juice and many surfaces: Back of PVS-14, front and back of EoTech, back of Thermal. The eotech got a crust of ice on the back of it and I could not longer see thru it or the thermal mounted in front of the eotech. If I had, had to take a shot, or had to see, I would've had to remove the eotech. About that time the thermal died, batteries ran down. I was about 250yds from base, so continued back.
Back at base I could not remove the mag from the 5.56 it was frozen in. I went and brushed my teeth and then came back and tried again, mag still frozen. Eventually it unfroze. The 5.56 was covered with water and ice. That's why I thought maybe I had moved through some frozen mist or something and hadn't realized it.

Results: So the good news is that the firearms worked in the cold. The PVS-14 fogged up a little, but was always functional. The bad news is the eotech froze up, the thermal had some freeze up and the rifle magazine froze into the magazine well.
My clothing worked for the conditions. There were no problems with the weight. There was a slight problem manipulating the canteen to mouth, due to sequence of putting on mag holder, canteen, pack and rifle. Will pay more attention to this aspect. These details are the reason we do these practice walks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is brutal, for training and not hunting...you are a trooper

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I'm practicing to go hunting!

Recall I believe in the mantra "We fight like we train" ... and hopefully for me that translates to "We hunt like we practice!" I'm seeing ice in the forecast for Texas next week, so conditions could even be worse on the hunt than I had last night, so might as well get acclimated now!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go, so where in TX and with who are you going?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Going with Aaron (Night Combat Solutions), he told me where, but I forgot. Somewhere in Texas !!! :D

Gonna try to slay some hogs ... or at least make some expensive and fun noise !!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good for you...good luck!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Finally changed out the ejector spring and retaining pin today in 7.62 rifle. Got one stove pipe last week and one is too many. Just reassembled and applied the new "silicon" lube and then cycled dummy rounds and then test fired and all is good. 7.62 back up with new ejector spring and retaining pin. :)
So I am hoping to be ready with both 5.56 and 7.62 rifles for the hog hunt. Currently, I'm thinking the 5.56 is primary because it is lighter and I have more practice standing/unsupported with it. I ordered one of those super cool primos tripod 3 weeks ago, but it still isn't here, so I'm not counting on it. Don't think it is needed for 5.56 but would be nice for 7.62 which runs about 13 pounds decked out. I'll be using BH SMK77 with the 5.56 and HSM AMAX168 with the 7.62.
I'll show my packing list for the trip once it has been reviewed.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I much prefer the 6.8 or the X39 rather than any 556 for hogs.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Going with Aaron (Night Combat Solutions), he told me where, but I forgot. Somewhere in Texas !!! :D

Gonna try to slay some hogs ... or at least make some expensive and fun noise !!!

I hate to tell you this but I think you are coming hunting with me LOL.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL..too funny, I am sure Todd has a spare 6.8 for you to use...what a lucky guy you are! Now don't show up the renowned and Legendary TLM!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2015-01-01
2100-2230
25F
0 MPH WSW

Goal: Check lasers on 5.56 and 7.62

Environment: A heat wave compared to last night. Fifteen degrees warmer and no wind. I wore one less layer on top (tee shirt, light jacket and wet suit top) and I was hot and sweaty. Snow pants were too hot as well. Solid medium clouds, no moon, no stars, but ambient light from moon burning through the clouds and some towers within 5 mile radius as well as safety lights in surrounding sections.

Equipment: 5.56, with laser and thermal, xm193 55gr. 7.62 with laser xm80 149gr. Helmet with PVS-14.

Activity: All rounds are standing unsupported.

G01 - 50yds - 2rds - 8+8 avg 8
Looks like no adjustment needed

G02 - 75yds - 2rds - 8+8 avg 8

G03 - 100yds - 2rds - 9+8 avg 8.5

G04 - 100yds - 2rds - 6+8 avg 7

2015-01-01556_zps39e20f03.jpg

G11 - 50yds - 2rds - 7+6 avg 6.5

G12 - 50yds - 2rds - 8+6 avg 7
Looks a bit low, I adjusted the laser lower a tiny bit to raise POI.

G13 - 75yds - 2rds - 9+9 avg 9
Got lucky that time!

G14 - 100yds - 2rds - 9+7 avg 8

G15 - 100yds - 2rds - 8+8 avg 8

2015-01-01762_zpsccba3b43.jpg

Results: The lasers are back in business. I'd been having intermittant problems, but I think I finally figured out what the issue it. These lasers are not really water proof. So I took them apart and cleaned the contacts with Kroil and a brush and then let them dry and changed the batteries and now they seem to be as good as new. I guess cleaning the contacts needs to be part of the regular maintenance program for these lasers. These are Laser Max ir-lasers, $150 on amazon, so we can't expect spaceship quality. I'm just glad I could find and fix the issue.
The sling on the 7.62 was actually "perfect" tonight I could use it for carry and support. The 5.56 sling is still just a little loose. Problem is what is perfect changes with how much clothing, gear I have on.
I'm out of handwarmers, so need to get some more asap. I think we now know how to save different zeros for different rifles in the thermal, so need to check thermal on both rifles and save zero.

IMAG1304_zps09ac0c30.jpg

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Yesterday we had 40F and 2 MPH wind ... this morning we have 0F and 20 MPH wind and a dusting of snow ... local climate change !!!

tab1Qzx.jpg

I wonder what it will be like in Texas next week? Right now temperature wise looking like 25-45F with some possible rain ... but weather people are one of the few professions where they can be wrong 90% of the time and still have a job ... so ... we will see !!!
:)

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2015-01-05
2100-2230
20F
5 MPH SW

Goal: Check zero for ir-laser and thermal on 7.62.

Environment: Not as cold as it has been. Snow still on the ground, about 2-3 inches most places, 6 inches in the low ground ... 0 inches on the hard ground. This was a "cold" snow, so the wind blows it around. Cloudy, but moon and some stars visible even though obscured. I could see Cass and make out Andromeda, though just barely. And I could make out Orion. It was quite bright and I drove a bit with no aid.

Equipment: 7.62, sling, ir-laser, thermal, xm80. Helmet, pvs-14, tripod.

Activity: I used tripod tonight, because I wanted to get as sure as I can that things are zeroed.

Left target thermal, standing tripod.
G01 - 25yds - 2rds - 0+5 Avg 2.5
cranked down 10 and left 5 (these cranks move POI in opposite direction to the cranks)

Right target ir-laser, standing tripod
G11 - 25yds - 2rds - 9+9 Avg 9

Left target thermal, standing tripod
G02 - 25yds - 2rds - 6+6 Avg 6
cranked down 5

G12 - 25yds - 2rds - 10+9 Avg 9.5

Left target thermal, standing tripod
G03 - 25yds - 2rds - 8+8 Avg 8
cranked down 5

G04 - 25yds - 2rds - 9+10 Avg 9.5

G05 - 50yds - 2rds - 0+0 Avg 0
Wow!
cranked up 10 left 3

G06 - 50yds - 2rds - 7+10 Avg 8.5

G07 - 100yds - 2rds - 8+9 Avg 8.5

G13 - 100yds - 2rds - 7+8 Avg 7.5

Results: Well the thermal seems "wilder" than the ir-laser. I feel pretty good about the ir-laser, but I want to work on the thermal a little more before we declare victory. I have one more prep-night. But before I ditch the tripod, I want to try the 7.62 at 100yds again. I've using the "Rifle 2" profile on the thermal, so my "boresight" adjustments should be separate from what is "saved" for the 5.56.

==
Stamp for suppressor arrived at dealer, but too late for hog hunting trip, just missed by one week :(

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Oh, forgot one aspect about last night ... after shooting I checked the thermal and it was a little loose, flopping around up there on the rail. I had relaxed the rail grabbed by one noch - and eighth of a turn I think as the rail grabbed had been too tight. But now it is too loose, this might explain some of the wildness in the thermal results!
I'll tighten it back, but that is a problem with this mount, it is either too tight or too loose. :(
And when it is too tight, it also comes loose, so I have to check it a lot. Armasight might need to work on a better mount unless I am the only one having this issue.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Old saying, bad rehearsal makes for good performance ... that is the good news ... the bad news is had problems last night bringing up the thermal menu. So could not "zero" thermal. Good news is the mount seems solid and did not come loose. I fired a few rounds to see how far off I was and had to hold up to even get on paper at 100yds, so it is pretty far off.
The ir-laser is fine.
This morning the menu comes up in the house. Maybe we just aren't supposed to use the menu in the field !!! :D
So I will try to zero today in the day. In the past I haven't been able to see the hand warmers in the day, but high today is 7F ... so maybe I can see the handwarmers today! Our low tonight will be -3F ... but looks warmer in Texas.

Will not be bring 5.56 rifle on hunt, it will go to shop to get new muzzle device for new SW 556 suppressor. So only bringing 7.62. Don't think hogs will like 168gr AMAX round ... provided I can hit them with one! Head out to Aaron's place on the way to Texas tomorrow morning at 0400 ... so will be off line until Monday.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well good luck, I sure hope with all the rain, ice and snow coming you have a safe trip and actually get to hunt. Be safe