Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well it's all coming together well. Only have 5 more to finish

image.jpg

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I just traded my T/C encore 300 win mag for a savage model 10 .308 varment barrel with a swift premier 4-12 scope. It's super clean, trigger is amazing. Just have to hit the range and see what it can do.

image.jpg

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need to find a good bolt action for varmints. I had an offer on the savage for a new m&p with a ton of ammo so I had to take it. I am thinking of getting a .243 maybe.

I still need to figure out what ill use it for. I have my 6.8 for most anything but its a little much to be using on small stuff. I have the 10/22 for really small stuff. .243 sounds like a good varment rifle

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need to find a good bolt action for varmints. I had an offer on the savage for a new m&p with a ton of ammo so I had to take it. I am thinking of getting a .243 maybe.

I still need to figure out what ill use it for. I have my 6.8 for most anything but its a little much to be using on small stuff. I have the 10/22 for really small stuff. .243 sounds like a good varment rifle
I have been giving much thought about replacing this old gal with a newer model. If I do I'm thinking of going with a .22-250. I will be moving back to the mountain states and I do save fur. For that the, .243 is too much gun where as the .22-250 with a 50-53gr varmint bullet is of use. If I didn't care about saving the fur, I would go with the .243 no questions asked.
I got a little busy with the cammo don't ya think?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was looking at the 22-250 as well. I have tons of .223 bullets

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just got rid of a ton of 22-250 brass too. But it paid for my pistol buffer tube so I'm ok with it

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My opinion ---> For hunting varmints/predators especially for the pelt, all you need is a 223Rem. This,with a 50gr NosBalTip and 1:7 twist bbl. Drive the bullet as fast as possible/practicle and for accuracy.

My gun was a 24" AR however if I were to build a bolt gun for this I would use a 1:7 bbl in the 223Rem chambering. I believe it is more accurate than the 5.56 or the Wylde chambers. I killed tons with the above combo in Maine and this included 3 wolves in Quebec. As a alternate bullet I would pick the Sierra 52gr BTHP or the Speer 50gr TNT.

I found that the shots I had on varmints or predators were close enough,or I could easily call them in close enough,that a 223Rem is all that was needed. For the "record" I consider 300yds "close enough". Even calling yotes on the open grass lands of Montana,I feel that a 223Rem is all that is needed. --- pruhdlr

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For the vermin, I would also say a 223 or a 6x45. The 223 with a 50-55gr bullet, the 6x45 with the 55 Nosler BTs (3400fps is easy).

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
im sure it would look better in your safe BUT it really looks good in my safe too

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My opinion ---> For hunting varmints/predators especially for the pelt, all you need is a 223Rem. This,with a 50gr NosBalTip and 1:7 twist bbl. Drive the bullet as fast as possible/practicle and for accuracy.

My gun was a 24" AR however if I were to build a bolt gun for this I would use a 1:7 bbl in the 223Rem chambering. I believe it is more accurate than the 5.56 or the Wylde chambers. I killed tons with the above combo in Maine and this included 3 wolves in Quebec. As a alternate bullet I would pick the Sierra 52gr BTHP or the Speer 50gr TNT.

I found that the shots I had on varmints or predators were close enough,or I could easily call them in close enough,that a 223Rem is all that was needed. For the "record" I consider 300yds "close enough". Even calling yotes on the open grass lands of Montana,I feel that a 223Rem is all that is needed. --- pruhdlr

problem is a 223 just isn't anywhere near enough should i need it. the 22-250 will work great over a 223. im still thinking 243 but that might be more than i need. I just have never been a big fan of the 223. just not enough gun for anything i would be doing. i might just give up and shoot everything with the 6.8

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
im still thinking 243 but that might be more than i need.

I just built a custom .243 and its a laser beam. It was built to shoot 100-115 gr'rs and I am really happy with it. So far its a 1/4 MOA gun out to 750 yards.