ATN X-Sight

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My take on this and the reason I went with the 3-12... I can use it on the lower power for the FOV, but shouldn't need more than the 12 power for anything I do or the distance I hunt. It would be nice to know how the digital magnification works compared to the normal type.

Smitty

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
My take on this and the reason I went with the 3-12... I can use it on the lower power for the FOV, but shouldn't need more than the 12 power for anything I do or the distance I hunt. It would be nice to know how the digital magnification works compared to the normal type.

Smitty

If you haven't looked at the digital zoom, I consider it mostly useless other than maybe the first step. 12x digital zoom will be highly degraded on visibility due to the resolution at that magnification.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was thinking the 3-16 would be ok at 6 and the 5-18 good till 9 and the field of view is a big concern w the 5, can anyone tell by the specs how is compares w the 4.5 on the 750?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks again Dave

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
NO and now they are going to production they should show a video!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Its supposed to be released in Europe this week so videos will start showing up.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you would hope so!

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
If you haven't looked at the digital zoom, I consider it mostly useless other than maybe the first step. 12x digital zoom will be highly degraded on visibility due to the resolution at that magnification.

Well.... The X-sight is supposed to be different with regards to zoom and its degredation on the image. :eek:

Every other digital device on the market up to now has had a non-HD signal from the CCD/CMOS sensor.

So starting with a relatively small resolution image and "zooming in" you were effectively putting yourself closer to the pixels and strecthing them to the full size of the screen.

With an HD signal source this techically has to be a much higher concentration of pixel from the upstream source, therefore theorethically since the viewing display size is smaller than the HD resolution size when you zoom in the pixels will be still together, tight enough, that you won't see image degredation.

For this reason alone - all other "apps" "perks" "features" aside, if ATN can deliver on a TRUE HD signal that doesn't degrade when you utilize the zoom feature, this WILL BE a feature not yet brought to market in digital.

Of course I too can only share this with you in text as I am bound by a stricter non-disclosure agreement (can't even post pics) of what I am holding in my hand right now :rolleyes:o_O:D

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
:mad:

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
I say the above is theorethical because under ordinary circumstances digital zoom should be avoided at all cost comparitive to optical zoom.

But I believe my theory may prove true for the simple fact that the video displays on these digi-scopes are quite small and top out at resolutions which contain less pixels than full HD signals.

I could be flat wrong but the way I am looking at this is:

OLED screen for a unit at this price point can't be much higher than 800x600 pixels in resolution, so:

At 1x you are viewing an 800 x 600 pixel range of a sensor provided 1920 x 1080 source.

At 2x you are still viewing 800 x 600 pixels, because the viewing size doesn't change, however instead of strectching a lower quality source signal out your actually zooming into a higher quality source signal

So on and so forth throughout the zoom progression.

I wish somebody with a video engineering degree would come in here and say that I am right or wrong....

Or I'll just have to wait another 5 days, weeks, months to find out for myself

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I wasn't even in the market for night vision and out of the blue, I got one of these in the mail. The attached letter asked that I give it a try and send back a report. The only stipulation is that I can't show it to anyone else until they say it's ok.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
O

M

G

Too funny

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I sent mine back assuming it was a mistake and they returned 2 of them to me to demo.. For quality control, but they still don't have the video recording adapter worked out yet

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Exactly how it is going to be

I say the above is theorethical because under ordinary circumstances digital zoom should be avoided at all cost comparitive to optical zoom.

But I believe my theory may prove true for the simple fact that the video displays on these digi-scopes are quite small and top out at resolutions which contain less pixels than full HD signals.

I could be flat wrong but the way I am looking at this is:

OLED screen for a unit at this price point can't be much higher than 800x600 pixels in resolution, so:

At 1x you are viewing an 800 x 600 pixel range of a sensor provided 1920 x 1080 source.

At 2x you are still viewing 800 x 600 pixels, because the viewing size doesn't change, however instead of strectching a lower quality source signal out your actually zooming into a higher quality source signal

So on and so forth throughout the zoom progression.

I wish somebody with a video engineering degree would come in here and say that I am right or wrong....

Or I'll just have to wait another 5 days, weeks, months to find out for myself

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Here is a report on the X-sight from a well respected member on a UK website:

Marky610-
Well I've had my hands on one

Firstly it was a preproduction prototype so not all the features were working, most disappointedly the zoom function wasn't but I have to say this thing is superb for the price tag. By far the best digie dedicated by day, it really is a true day/night scope. More compact than the others out there at present, lower mounting which is nice.

Near eye display has the same resolution as the N750 and is on a par with it, functioned just as it should no disappointments here. Focus is via the front lens and yes have to to focus it, I went from 150-10mt, but it's not what I'd call focus fussy. Didn't go through the reticles mainly because the one on it was right up my alley.

Power is provided via 2x CR123's accessed via a nice large cup on the righthand side of the unit, battery life unknown until further tests.

Like I said this was a preproduction prototype so only a little teaser of a review, the zoom function is going to be the killer test on this unit and I have been promised a look at one with working zoom in a couple of weeks or so. Launch to the public is expected in October (just in time for my 50th birthday Debs if you read this ) my mate has already put down a deposit on one (and he's an Armasight Drone owner)

SC (Scott Country) are thinking about only stocking the 3-12x zoom model but I think I put a strong case to the boss to stock the 5-18x too

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
funny all functions were not working and this bloke did not even try all the available features, so basically we know a person can turn one on from this review.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now Frank, that isn't even fair. Not only does it turn on, but it can focus and is cheap, or maybe it is cheap and so all it can do is turn on and focus. I don't know.

Pre production prototype? So the Brit show didn't really have an X-sight at the show really any more than they did at the Shot Show months ago. What was demo'd was not what is going to be available.

Not being able to zoom is a problem. I fear reticle shift is rearing its ugly head. I think I see a theme developing.