ATN X-Sight

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Gotta wonder why they pulled it. It took about a month and a half to get this release, so they pull it, will take weeks to see it again.

Last edited:

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did you get it down loaded? I didn't, we were getting ready to go to the beach for the week end. Did it make any improvements for you?

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did get it downloaded after several tries. I didn't realize it would reset the zero, next time I will write them down, as the "one-shot zero" tends to be a 10 shot attempt for me. the auto dimming seemed better, time will tell.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did get it downloaded after several tries. I didn't realize it would reset the zero, next time I will write them down, as the "one-shot zero" tends to be a 10 shot attempt for me. the auto dimming seemed better, time will tell.

Yes, it took me 14 shots the first time, for the one shot zero. I finally figured it out, maybe....

Glad the auto dimming is better. I'll try to down load from King Louie's site, when I get home.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yes I have it. As for zero, should take you 2 shots.

It's really easy with the X-Sight because it leaves a dot where the initial shot is.

So line up on bullseye, take your shot. See where the bullet impacted. Move the crosshairs until they are directly over the bullet hole. Keep the initial dot over the bullseye.

After you get the crosshairs over the hole, the next shot should be dead center.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is a video out there about the use of the XSight somewhere. I just watched it the other day for kicks and one of the set up features they went over was the zeroing in of the gun. Do not remember where it was though!!:) They went over a few features and explained everything on there. I will try to find it. PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
XSight tutorial is on the optics planet site. Just found it there, scroll down a little and it is on the left side. It covers many areas. :)

Jambo

New user. Bought a 5-18 NIB and took delivery last week. Did everything recommended by ATN and other users, watched the youtube videos, etc. before taking it out to hunt.

Sitting in an airport in Texas with some time so am posting my impressions and experience. I have a fair amount of NV hunting experience and currently use a Photon XT/Sightmark IR805 illuminator and have rented some higher end thermal kit. A few friends have the X-Sight. I liked that it had the video function and the day capability so I bought one. Again, these are only my impressions from direct and first hand experience. I don't really care if a reader disagrees or agrees with them.

I hunted 3 nights from blinds for about 6 hours per night. Weather conditions generally clear. Some light rain showers (very light). Hunted the full moon then two nights on waning moon.

First thing: I did kill hogs. But...

I had to work way too hard fighting with the sight to make it happen. I missed at least 4 opportunities (hogs in range and clearly seen in night binos) because the scope would dim to the point of being unuseable within seconds. The only way around this (there are two actually) was to cycle the IR illuminator off and on...and continually. The useable sight picture lasted about 3-4 seconds max. Yes, tried the low/medium/high amplification settings. I tried in white and green. I tried another IR illuminator. Same result. I called ATN and got a basic "sounds like a problem - can't really help you - need to see it to diagnose it" reply. The rep said he's never heard of the problem. Pardon me but I don't believe it...especially after reading numerous forum posts about this issue. (FWIW - the other way to get temporarily adjust the gain is to put your hand in front of the illuminator for a second or two)

Unsat. Many other issues as well. Every so often the dimming function (via button icon) did not work. Had to use the full menu. I also find it very odd that with the scope zeroed, the reticle was dispaced almost 1/3rd of the visual field to the left of optical center. Also odd (I know it has been written about extensively) is the reticle jumping around when using the zoom function.

Other issues: I tried to take some pictures and video. Worked okay - sometimes. Other times the image would go black (taking a picture). Had to fully recycle off>on to see anything. Video worked one night but not another. One video has about a five second lag from hearing the "kaboom" to seeing the flash.

Rarely did everything work as advertised at the same time. Good concept and a decent device - when it works...but it doesn't consistently work. My assessment after using it for this hunt: twitchy, temperamental, unreliable, inconsistently performing moderately priced boat anchor. Done being a beta tester. Will be returning it and will not buy another ATN product. Too many other good options. That is all.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
YUP!! They are just WAY TO MUCH TROUBLE for the cost of the darn thing!!! That was funny you posted the rep "has never heard about that" I would imagine they have heard of every possible scenario at this point. They should recall them all refund the monies and NOT put the unit on the market until it WORKS!! Mind you this is just an opinion of mine. People should use their money and spend it on something else, from what I have seen and have read the Photon would be a good choice for something around that price range. The unit has just had way to many problems for anyone to say that the company offers a good product for the price. Just not worth the 50% chance that you might get one that a couple features (seeing, and zeroing) actually work. In my opinion it is a complete failure!!! I can not believe they are still offering this to the public knowing that they do not work like stated!!! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep Jambo, sent my 2 back a long time ago, after 2 years they still do not have it working! BUT wait they have the Gen 2 coming out for more $$, it should be released in march working...Hey I heard that with the original and then waited a year for a non working unit! Great idea, ATN lies, Gen 2 will be better Gen 1 is fine...All ATN lies...