Soured Corn Bait

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I've been using a basic cracked corn, water, yeast and sugar mix in 5 gal buckets in sun for 2+ weeks. It turns out nice and sloppy and has a strong fermented odor that the hogs like......A LOT!! However, it seems like dusting (liberally) the stuff with strawberry jello powder after putting it down seals the deal. I strongly believe the hogs get the strawberry scent at a longer distance. The powder gelatin will get wet on top of the corn mixture and starts sending a sweet strawberry smell into the breeze. We call it putting out a strawberry pie for the hogs. One other thing I like to do is mix up a strong concentrated batch of cherry kool aid in a gatorade type bottle and pour that around the baited area.
I have heard a lot of good things about Kreso-d and plan to dampen some rags and hang them in the mesquite around the baited area.
Opinions?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I pick a tree I don't like and pour the Kreso-D all over it, the hogs use it as a rubbing/social post. When I have no trees I use a 4x4 in the ground, wrap carpet around it and it acts the same way. Sometime I put sow in heat on the post/carpet too.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I just put a game came up and when I put out about 15 lbs of the soured rice, the hogs stay there 2 - 3 hours vs 30 - 45 minutes for the feeder corn.
I have game cam pics that recorded a sounder, then eventually just a big boar continuously at my bait site for 3 hours early one morning (1am to 4am). I think it was the strawberry jello powder dusted over and in the bait holes (soured corn-2 weeks). Or was it the cherry kool aid mix I added before dark the previous evening?:D