Soured Corn Bait

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I tried the vanilla in corn on a lease in Texas for deer. Didn't change much with deer but it brought in raccoons and possums by the dozens. After 3 days of deer hunting and not getting anything we switched to 22 wmr and started picking off raccoons. Had 21 in an afternoon between 3 of us at 3 different feeding stations

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When night hunting with my thermal I spot quite a few coons and dillo's. One night,soon after deer season,my buddy and I are gonna have a "critter night". If I wuz rich I'd put thermal on my Ruger 10/22 and have whole bunches of fun.

Will sling fert on two plots today. Got a lime cart from the CO-OP a couple monts ago and slung 1 ton($28)per acre on the plots. That should make the fert work good. Got 13-13-13 at the CO-OP for $14 per 50lbs. 300lbs per acre should do it. THEN.....will buy seed next week. Will plant last week of Sept if the WX cooperates. Our deer season runs thru March 2 this year. --- pruhdlr

D.Wilson

LSB Member
I make my bait in a plastic 55 gallon drum ( don't use metal it will rust out quick) 50lbs corn 50 lbs milo 50 lbs rolled oat bag of bakers yeast and 10lbs of sugar, I fill the drum up to about half full stir every couple of days for about three weeks (hold your breath) then I dip out how many 5gallon bait sites I need throw some kool aid mix in and go I just add a little bit of water to the drum as needed in till I'm out of bait

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
D, you Sir are a serious sour bait maker!!

D.Wilson

LSB Member
Yep it works good tho I would bait my traps with the door tied open until the hogs had got all the bait out of the hole then set and rebait.

D.Wilson

LSB Member
What worked even better was I had a friend who worked for a grocery store who hooked me up with old produce but I haven't had any luck finding a store that would let me dispose of their bad stuff in a few years

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a buddy that brings me the cafeteria stuff the kids waste, what a slop that is, even has apples and oranges in it.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use dry corn ON THE COB when I can get it. About 15-20 ears in a 5gal bucket and covered with water and a el cheapo can of beer. Seems to me that the cob will also soak up the liquid and start to ferment. Sometimes I substitute the beer with about an ounce of sno-cone syrup.

The corn on the cob will definately get skanky quicker and it gives off a stronger smell than corn off the cob. --- pruhdlr

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I used to do what D.Wilson does with the big plastic drum but I used straight milo (at that time it was free for me) with yeast packets water and beer. It worked great but I used a shovel to scoop it out and put it in buckets. That stuff will stain anything leather, rubber, hands, clothes, anything! After spilling some on my hands once, it took a full month to get the purplish/maroon color out and a week for the smell to go away. I always made sure to wear gloves after that. The trick with those big barrels is to never let them get down to the bottom. Gotta keep filling them up with more feed and water or else you have to wait for the fermenting bacteria to grow again. I think the longest I had one going was around 6 or 8 months.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a concoction of corn, milk, apple cider vinegar and some dissolved cattle mineral feed. Also am a proud papa to some of the fattest coons you ever saw. Hogs like too.IMG_0001.JPG

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm more of an opportunist when it comes to this.

I have a couple of Feral Crack Pipes out most of the time.
As for the mush/mash I put into them, it just depends.

Lots of coons and squirrels in the area gets corn soaked in diesel.
It will keep everything but the pigs off for a while, unless it rains, then it dissipates quicker.
Generally, just enough diesel to soak into the corn and not much liquid.

For normal stuff, I have a few 2 gallon plastic jugs with lids.
I put in about 1 1/2 gallon of corn and add beer, gatorade, wine - the stinkier, the better, koolaid, sugar, whatever is handy...
The nice thing about a sealed container is you can turn it over to stir it up and not get it on you!!!
Mix it up and set the in the sun a couple of days before I need them.

Corn on the cob soaked in diesel works well also but the pigs get to the point they will run in, grab an ear and run off so you gotta be quick!

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg Is there a point where a bucket of soured corn sitting out gets too old?
My dad had one in his trap all fall and it's still there. the lid has been off and it's been sitting in the trap. The corn is in the back of the trap in a white bucket. We camouflaged it with cedar that I cut down to clear a shooting lane for a blind/feeder, so hopefully that trap can bring some success in the future...

I made some soured corn about 10 days ago. I used empty 5 gallon pickle buckets and beer from the keg/ tap run off from some local bars/restaurants (go between lunch and dinner hours or when it's slow so they can/will help you). And I used the leftover cherry syrup/juice from a big gallon jug of cherries. 7 days later it was RANK and I only paid for the corn..... Ya.......kidneys

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
my dads friend mentioned that the pigs on his property dont seem to like citrus-ey fruits like ornages and lemons .. and they also dont like bananas. anyone else notice anything that supports or negates this claim??

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In the orchards in central Fl they love them, will pick right off a tree. I put them out here and they don't know what it is and may or may not eat citrus.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just put a game came up and when I put out about 15 lbs of the soured rice, the hogs stay there 2 - 3 hours vs 30 - 45 minutes for the feeder corn.
who do you get your bait or feed from?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What do you think it would cost to fill up a full sized pickup bed? 4x8?

could be less than perfect stuff obviously

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
could
We grow rice in this area, so it is available on a small scale from many sources, particularly if you know a producer.
if you happen to know one ................let me know