Soured Corn Bait

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use the same packets of yeast from Wal-Mart. Just mix it up in a glass of warm water and dump it into the bucket of corn. I try to have some soda, Koolaid or anything with sugar in it for the yeast to react with during the process. I don't even bother to dump the sour corn out, I pop the top off the bucket and set it out around the feeder.

Smitty

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
instead of koolaid I use the 3 liter red soda from the $1 store in each bucket, has tons of sugar. instead of the yeast you can add a beer.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet that the rice is a good bait soured.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Use what you have and what the hogs are used to is always better.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ever eat bear after baiting them ?? Ever eat a hog after baiting them ?? Ever eat pork from the grocery store ?? Ever eat a catfish after feeding them ?? Ever eat a turkey(either wild or pen raised) knowing what they eat ?? If you determine what to eat depending on what they eat ya'll must be really skinny.

My above post(#9) stated ....."a couple of tablespoons in 5gals of corn".......that's it. For those of you that feel that this amount of diesel will transmit a taste to the hogs.........well........please don't use it. And,of course,for those that feel the the above amount of diesel could possibly harm you,your family,friends, or clients,in any way,definitely don't use it.

I have been using KRESO-D to bait hogs for years. I have never eaten one that tastes like a telephone pole. --- pruhdlr

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good point pruhdlr. I never really thought of it like that. Lawman made a good point too when he said you can't control what other people feed them.

I just don't do it because some clients turn their nose up at it. Then they are upset if they planned to keep the meat.

If I didn't have concerned clients I would use diesel. I have in the past prior to guiding hunts and it works great.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Afalex.......know what your talking about. I guided for bear in Maine for some years and I ABSOLUTELY NEVER (!!!)wanted my sports to see what I was feeding them. I would absolutely take your attitude if I were in your position.

There are tons of differences between being just a hunter....and a guide. Guiding a person is giving them an EXPERIENCE. It is simply not just the dead animal on the ground. You do everything possible to give the sport the experience that they will want to have again. AND.......your business has allot to do with "word of mouth".

A couple of tablespoons of diesel WILL make your bait site smell like diesel. Especially if you add it to your above ground feeder. As a guide,it is probably just one more thing that I would not want to have to explain to my sports.

Good Huntin' To All --- pruhdlr

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And.......give snow cone syrup a try. It comes in a squeeze bottle of about 16-20ozs for $2.25 at Wal Fart. Any of the berry flavors. It puts out tons of smell. Loaded with sugar and will help the corn ferment. I do not use any yeast whatsoever. I do use rice bran though. Get it at the feed stores. 50lbs for $13. I put about 1 cup to a 5gal bucket to sour with the corn. I rotate my stink corn. I have 6 buckets "working" right now. On the average it sits for two weeks in the sun before it is dumped on the ground. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go, what they wanted!! Always nice to get them coming in and staying.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now if they would only stay after the shots are fired

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now if they would only stay after the shots are fired
Yep, they disappear quickly when the noise starts! I'm feeding them in a line running toward my blind so they are broadside to me and hoping for a double?

Attachments

• lined up.jpg
    lined up.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 18

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, now that is a line up!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep, they disappear quickly when the noise starts! I'm feeding them in a line running toward my blind so they are broadside to me and hoping for a double?

Perfect line up for the 458 socom 525gr pile driver

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is the consistency of this concoction after it has sit. Is it solid, liquid or somewhere in between? Thanks.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine is like mush, but suprizenly fairly dry. After the corn soaks up the water it's fairly dry on the outside. If you squeeze them they are soft and mushy though

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a couple old blenders that I picked up at yard sales for $10. I throw some corn and soy beans in these and chop them up fairly fine. I add this to the corn that I put into the 5gal buckets to ferment. It makes the mix more mushy and when I put it in the hole it is harder for the hogs to get it all out.

I fill a 5gal bucket 1/2 full with dry corn,then fill it to the top of the corn with rain water. The corn will absorb the water and expand to 2/3rd of a bucket. I stir this mix every 3 or 4 days. The buckets sit in direct sunlight. The heat helps the process. I divide the buckets content between two holes in two different locations.

For deer,I fill a bucket 1/2 full of dry corn and add a couple spoonfuls of REAL vanilla extract. NO WATER. I stir this up and let it sit a couple of days....the deer seem to love it. I believe that this mix will draw in the deer from further distances. Do not put this in a deer feeder,it could gum it up. When hunting,I use vanilla as a cover scent. I spray it inside my shooting house and around the ladder stands. --- pruhdlr