Soured Corn Bait

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Texas hog hunting can also be done over baited areas. Soured corn is a very popular bait to use when hog hunting.

To sour corn all you need is a 5 gallon bucket or container that has no holes, and a with a lid, two cheap beers, 1/2 bag of corn and some water

Pour the corn in the bucket, fill the bucket 1/2 way with water, then add the 2 cheap beers to the mix. Top off the container with water and put the lid on it. Seal it tight! Then just leave the bucket in the sun and heat for 5-7 days.

That’s it. Just don’t take the lid off before you take it to the hunt. It will STINK! Just pour this soured corn mix in your favorite hog spot, or dig a hole with post hole diggers and put it in the hole and you’re done. If there are hogs on your property they will find this! In Texas hog hunting over soured corn works really, really well.

Warning: Don’t get this stuff on you. Soap won’t get rid of the stink!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use it quite a bit, I add a pkg of yeast and a red soda form the $ store the largest I can get . They do like the strawberry koolaide mix and sugar but none of that is necessary, just makes me feel better.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've never tried peanut butter in the mix before. What animal does not like peanut butter!?!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Use table scaps too, just toss them in while it is souring, really adds to the stink!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I read some where people put diesel fuel in corn and they like it. Is that true sound suspect to me but what the hay.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I read some where people put diesel fuel in corn and they like it. Is that true sound suspect to me but what the hay.

They don't so much like the diesel but they will eat it. The diesel is for keeping the other animals deer/coons from taking the bait.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You can definately spray a little diesel on the corn and it will deter anything that I know of from bothering it.....except hogs. I have tried a couple of tablespoons in 5gals of corn,stirred up and thrown on the ground. Coons wont touch it. Deer wont touch it. Hogs will eat it like the normal corn. --- pruhdlr

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
for quick work, I just mix up some cherry koolaid with some water, mix in corn, through it out, no souring, did that last time at the lease and my friend shot 140 and 170 pound boar first night, second night he connected on a 300 pounder, the one as my avatar

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang sound like cool aid is the deal hum sweet is the differce

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I know the diesel keeps other animals from eating the bait, but, think about what is in the hog if you plan to eat it. I don't really care to eat pork that has been consuming diesel. Of course if you don't eat them. Who cares....

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know the diesel keeps other animals from eating the bait, but, think about what is in the hog if you plan to eat it. I don't really care to eat pork that has been consuming diesel. Of course if you don't eat them. Who cares....
I was thinking that exact same thing. I just leave my corn and water and yeast to sour a few extra weeks, works amazing

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Problem is with hogs they eat all kinds of nasty stuff. They may be eating diesel laced corn down the road. They are natures trash cans.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
big fat mean trash cans. but way more fun to shoot

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have thought about that too TLM, but it just makes me feel better knowing I don't feed it to them. I don't like the idea of a client keeping the meat of a hog I have been feeding diesel.

However, it does serve a purpose and does work.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Cheap dog food, the nastier the better. Its mostly corn anyway. Pour a coffie can or two out around your bait station every day, that way the hogs dont spook at your scent if the wind gets ya. In the mean time get a 5 Gallon bucket, a bag of rolled oats (we dont have corn around here so the hogs dont know the smell), pony keg of the cheapest out of date beer the liquor store has (usually cost me $10-15). Mix beer and oats, let stand for 3-7 days or until you cant stand the smell. Save all of your kitchen scraps durring this time also. Dig a hole about 1-2ft deep with an auger or post hole digger and deposit 1/3 of the oats and scraps, cover with dirt, move 15-20ft and repeat until finished.

Location is just as if not more important than what you use as bait.
Also, find something that the hogs know but dont get very often. If there is a lot of corn but only a few soy bean fields in your area, use soy beans. If there is a ton of wheat, but little corn, use corn. Burried carrion is also a good one, a 2ft deep hole will swallow most of a gut pile.

In the good old days this is how we (basically) baited our traps (when that was legal here), but occationally we would hunt over it also. The dog food stinks and attracts all kinds of things, mostly skunks and coons, but the hogs love it. Once the hogs figgure there is something better in the ground, they will camp out there and work at the holes for hours. As long as you keep refreshing, the hogs will keep coming back as long as your pressure is not too much. We would only hunt over our bait 2 or 3 times a month, our traps were portable and would only be set up 6-8 days a month.

When I was 9 or so, we trapped and killed 400+ hogs in 15 days between 5 people and 9 bait locations using this mix, my dad and grandpa argue over the total number of hogs killed that summer, but I know it was over 3500 maybe as high as 6000. Small sounders were 150-200 hogs, large ones were over 500. We were not keeping track very well, and most of the hogs we just let lay, we had so much pork no one wanted any more. My Grandpa was farming over 120,000 acres of Barley at the time, and the pigs LOVE barley. That summer was also the first time I burned the barrel out of my 243. Now its on number... 5? 6? I cant remember...

Harris hawker

LSB Member
I use it quite a bit, I add a pkg of yeast and a red soda form the $ store the largest I can get . They do like the strawberry koolaide mix and sugar but none of that is necessary, just makes me feel better.

Frank,
Does it matter what kind of yeast, brewers yeast ect?

Also yeast is activated by hot water, between 120-130, do you use any warm water to activate the yeast or does the time in the sun help activate the yeast??
Thanx
Mike.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I find it in the baking dept at WM, a 3 pack, one in each bucket. I have never heated the water, just sealed and in the sun works.