Pulsar Core RXQ30V

LSB Active Member
Mine will maybe be here Friday and I don't mind saying I'm more than a little excited to see what I haven't been seeing.

LSB Active Member
I'm excited to slay hogs, but just as pumped to watch deer behavior at night. Pretty sure I saw the 10 from last year crossing the road behind me last week just after sunset right where he meandered last year. He jumps heads across our widest field to get to the state preserve there are only 1 of 2 ways for him to get there protected.....I'm gonna get him this year we only saw him a few days b/f the end of rifle season last year.

LSB Active Member
Well no joke 30 minutes after it arrived the eye relief is set up, clock set, calibration done and I am excited! I had to take that funky eye piece off though I was sticking my dang nose inside it......coke bottle glasses.....do I have to use that darn thing? Does it serve as some kind of protection for the lens or can I take that mofo off for good?

I was not expecting it to be so light! Way lighter than my Vortex day glass. Mount was simple to set up. Newb question 2 minutes in I hear a 'click' and screen freezes about every 15 seconds. Call Pulsar tech services and 30 seconds later I'm getting the answer. Refresh/calibration thingy. Easy peezey. Going to have fun on my street when the sun goes down watching the endless streams of dog walkers it's 265 to the end of my street.
IMG_4378.JPG

LSB Active Member
Yes the PIP is great. Base optical magnification is 1.6x and can be zoomed in steps up 2x and 4x, to 3.2x and 6.4x respectively.

I can cycle the zoom levels when PIP is off. However when PIP is on and the image is centered above......should I be able to zoom that image as well or is that fixed whatever I'm seeing? Thanks

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
how do you record? I think the rubber cup is so you don't light yourself up or in recoil get busted in the eye. I will get the ATN w internal recorder and you can come up so we can compare

LSB Active Member
Not planning on being up there any time soon, but if I'm ever in the hood for sure will! I'm so glad to finally get to hopefully make a dent in these hogs they are everywhere now with the rains finally showing up

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is it a plastic or metal case? waterproof? sure looks good and like...tear those Hogs up!

LSB Active Member
For anyone that cares and who may take the sun shade off......my Vortex Defender eye piece flip cover is a perfect fit.....I mean it's like they made it for this model Pulsar. If anyone is interested it's the Vortex Defender Eye Piece Flip Cover one size fits 40-46. I wanted to protect the eye piece and think this will do it nicely.

LSB Active Member
Anyone have any suggestions on how I'm likey going to use this? Our hogs out out in the fields come 10pm....everywhere. On the one hand I know there is always some scanning, but I'm thinking it's going to be very little driving b/c they all come out in one section from the swamp mainly. My thinking is to start out with it on the rifle and then change to hand held/tripod if it turns out differently. I don't know what I don't know at this point. Would love to hear from the experienced crowd. It's odd we had a guy scanning when it was dry and we coudln't find a hog, rains came and they live in the fields from 10pm til wee hours. BUT we never know b/c no one had every done much with hogs or at night.

Thanks for any ideas, thoughts, ball busting, berating and all around shennaningans(that place out by the interstate...meow)

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
Well no joke 30 minutes after it arrived the eye relief is set up, clock set, calibration done and I am excited! I had to take that funky eye piece off though I was sticking my dang nose inside it......coke bottle glasses.....do I have to use that darn thing? Does it serve as some kind of protection for the lens or can I take that mofo off for good?

I was not expecting it to be so light! Way lighter than my Vortex day glass. Mount was simple to set up. Newb question 2 minutes in I hear a 'click' and screen freezes about every 15 seconds. Call Pulsar tech services and 30 seconds later I'm getting the answer. Refresh/calibration thingy. Easy peezey. Going to have fun on my street when the sun goes down watching the endless streams of dog walkers it's 265 to the end of my street.
View attachment 5200
very nice!! what caliber are you shooting?

Bighuff32

Anyone have any suggestions on how I'm likey going to use this? Our hogs out out in the fields come 10pm....everywhere. On the one hand I know there is always some scanning, but I'm thinking it's going to be very little driving b/c they all come out in one section from the swamp mainly. My thinking is to start out with it on the rifle and then change to hand held/tripod if it turns out differently. I don't know what I don't know at this point. Would love to hear from the experienced crowd. It's odd we had a guy scanning when it was dry and we coudln't find a hog, rains came and they live in the fields from 10pm til wee hours. BUT we never know b/c no one had every done much with hogs or at night.

Thanks for any ideas, thoughts, ball busting, berating and all around shennaningans(that place out by the interstate...meow)

The scope is mostly alloy with some polymer parts. It is supposed to be waterproof unless you use the external power adapter. I think the eye-cup helps prevent light splash that would reveal your position and cushion any recoil to your face. I have found that the Core and my PVS-14 work best if I take my glasses off and get the eye-cup against my face. I get better field of view that way. There is sufficient adjustment in the diopter for me.

I usually scan with the helmet-mounted PVS-14 to locate and identify targets. The image in the NVG is more precise in general for ID purposes. I will stalk in closer and when in acceptable range, put the rifle up on the tripod shooting sticks and use the thermal for aiming.

However, I have found that when CAREFULLY scanning with the rifle-mounted thermal that I can see critters with the thermal that I did not pick up with the NVG. Last time out, I could see two tangos at over 1000 yards but could not tell what critters they were. I could not see them with the PVS-14. I stalked up to 600 yards at which time I could ID them as whitetail deer with the thermal, but still could not distinguish them with the NVG. The 3/4 moon had just come up. Even though the image is not precise in the thermal, after you have studied the movements of the various critters, you can distinguish what is what.

My hunting partner has an ATN x-sight II which works well for scanning and shooting as well as recording. You must maintain discipline when scanning with the scope mounted to the weapon, ie. safety and and he always stays left of 12 o'clock and I stay right. It would better to remove the Core using the QD mount and scan off the rifle, but I am not sure how practical that is in the dark.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does anyone know for sure if the DLOC-PTM QD Mount for the Trail and Apex scopes will also fit the Core?

I just got two of the DLOC-PTM's in and soon as I get another RXQ shipment I will confirm. I think a lot of folks are interested in that question.

With that said, the RXQ uses the same QD112 mount as the other new Pulsars, so I would be shocked if the DLOC doesn't work.