Pulsar Core RXQ30V

LSB Active Member
Your reports are fascinating and informative.

I remember the excitement and anticipation I had when my night vision and DBAL3 arrived. It will be double fold for thermal. I cannot imagine the meltdown I would have it the unit does not work when I power it up.

All the wisdom you offer in your posts are beneficial and are stored away in my mind when that day arrives!

Keep up the great work! Randy

Ha I dunno if it's wisdom, but I will keep the lessons learned going for those who might be in my position as a total newb to thermals. I think my biggest concern over everything was getting the Pulsar zero dialed in to my 308AR on par with the confidence I have on my day glass rifles. Now that I've taken the last two in the head especially last night I'd bet that was 1" within my POA...feeling good now.

Sidelight

LSB Member
Ha I dunno if it's wisdom, but I will keep the lessons learned going for those who might be in my position as a total newb to thermals. I think my biggest concern over everything was getting the Pulsar zero dialed in to my 308AR on par with the confidence I have on my day glass rifles. Now that I've taken the last two in the head especially last night I'd bet that was 1" within my POA...feeling good now.

Keep the updates coming mate!

So have you got a feel for how long a set of batteries last now? And what's your confident range of target recognition -> shooting -> detection?

LSB Active Member
Keep the updates coming mate!

So have you got a feel for how long a set of batteries last now? And what's your confident range of target recognition -> shooting -> detection?
It's still super tough to get exact ranges every time I look up, but I know on the buck I lit up he was at no less than 380 which is the distance from where I was standing at a road intersection to the water trough. He was very close to that. Knew it was a big deer instantly, but walked in maybe another 100 and I saw his brow tines. His ass was huge can't wait to see him in a couple of months. I have -7.5 Rx in my glasses with astigmatism and will be having cataract surgery in the next 2-3 years.....so you could probably do better. The hog I shot was much closer. I came around the corner into a field and poof they were right where I expected to see some activity. Was maybe 200-250 and I knew for sure it was 2 hogs. Walked in and closed the deal right in the noggin.

Batteries I'd say 3 hours for sure and maybe a bit more. Remember I'm also busting through the menus non-stop experimenting with everything so it's not just scanning......think introduction of the computing mouse from the keyboard.....always clicking and pointing. Think I've found the right mode, contrast, brightness and reticle. Used the circle dot last night really liked. I am using the Titanium Innovations branded battery for about $1.10 each and not sure if you could get more performance out of say a big box branded batt. At $2.20 per hunt I don't need any better than that 3-4 hours and I'm ready for the sack.

EDIT Just remembered we lit up about 300 head of cattle sitting around the camp house last Saturday. Could easily see heat signatures, but couldn't tell what it was....experience told us it's cows......~ 800 yards from the front porch to the power lines. Cows were maybe 50 yards off the front porch and fence when we came in.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For you guys that want to record thru day scope or the pulsars that don't have video out...maybe this will work?

View attachment 5221

Scope Phone Adapter

Before you order this make sure the bushing that goes over the ocular lens will clear. I've ordered something similar and it wouldntnfit over the housing.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yes always do your due diligence before buying anything. There are several companies making the phone attachments to you scope, this is not the only one. People have been recording thru their day scopes for the last several years....I was just curious if they would work for the thermals that forgot to put in a way to record thru them.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Before you order this make sure the bushing that goes over the ocular lens will clear. I've ordered something similar and it wouldntnfit over the housing.

They work, long as you don't shoot then it's all over with recoil.

topwater

For you guys that want to record thru day scope or the pulsars that don't have video out...maybe this will work?

No, this will not work on the Core RXQ30V. The device you're posting positions the camera farther from the scope. The RXQ30V has the opposite problem: a regular iPhone needs to be placed closer to the display than the eyepiece will allow. The only workable solution I have come up with (and this is just on paper) is to use a point-and-shoot camera with a good optical zoom range.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No, this will not work on the Core RXQ30V. The device you're posting positions the camera farther from the scope. The RXQ30V has the opposite problem: a regular iPhone needs to be placed closer to the display than the eyepiece will allow. The only workable solution I have come up with (and this is just on paper) is to use a point-and-shoot camera with a good optical zoom range.

This is the problem I have with trying to record with the RXQ30V. I use the zoom on my phone, but it degrades the image. My point and shoot degrades it too. Just one of those things.

LSB Active Member
took my buddy and his son out last night to try and put him on a hog b/f he leaves for school thursday morning. showed up 10 minutes b/f sunset and sat in the back of the pick up scanning for about 30. decided to take a look down by the river and poof.....instantly saw 1 about 200 out in waist high grass. he disappeared behind grass, showed himself again. 'i think i see 3 or 4'? ok let's put the thermal on the rifle. i said 'pile 'em up kid' and sent him downrange with his dad in tow both with 308AR's. I hear pop pop pop....he takes down 4 hogs in 7 shots all offhand with a rifle and scope he's never touched until last night. i come down to them and we are thrilled. i take a peek through the thermal to see the carnage and see another one just thinking he is safe behind a tree. problem is he's so big he can't hide. 'dude antoher hog go get him'. so hand him the rifle and he smokes that one with 2 shots. big nasty boar hog. 9 shots total, 5 hogs, offhand......50 on first batch 75 yards on last one kid is a heck of a good hunter already we knew that, but that was some fine shooting.

putting this kid on hogs was 10x more fun than all the hogs i've shot combined. he's a great kid and his dad is one of my closest true pals. what a great night i'm still on top of the world. will get some pics later i left my phone back in the truck all night, but we took a bunch with his phone. saw 12 deer, 4 solid bucks and one more that was just massive already with a sizeable rack. 'i'm all about fitness. like fitness whole deer in ma freezer'.

D

djones

dj i gotta tell ya this is 10x more fun than i thought it might be. watching you shoot dirt looked fun and all, but then shooting hogs for realsies? funzo.
you need a team barny banner

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Todd, look like maybe an OK 100yd weapons sight.

LSB Active Member
Welcome to the Club!
Thanks man I'm loving it. Nothing to really add on Core performance any longer it works like a dream slaying every hog that sticks it's head up and picking up all kinds of intel for deer season. Shot what is easily my largest last Wednesday night. Was under an oak during a huge lightning storm that was calming down sitting in truck rolled up on field as the rain slowed and I could see. So big looked like giant log was maybe 250 away, lit up with thermal 'omg' stalked to about 100 and he started to trot off and put 2 in him he buckled, did a couple of 360s and ran into swamp as he was running I got off 2 more but certain those missed. Chased him for 45 minutes heard him, blood trails....couldn't find. Came back 2 days later to fill a feeder he ran into by the swamp and the turkey buzzards were feasting on what was left. Oh well....least he's dead!

I have a sneaking suspicion what I'm seeing at night with 2 monster bucks may pay off. There is really on one way the verified monster should be coming into his bedding area and I'm already set up in a great spot absolutely no one hunts/has hunted and it's even great for bow season. My buddy and I dropped some corn with a camera it's been sitting 5 days gonna pick up this weekend. The area is about 200 yards wide so might take me a bit to find his trail, but I smell venison on the grill! He large. My buddy already has two fat 8's sitting on his turf!

Last edited:

Pyrofan

Hey guys, I have been reading on the forum for awhile and was wondering what the odds of finding one of these used are? I can get a used ATN 384 for $1,300 and that is pretty much all my budget. Cant find a single RXQ30v used anywhere.

LSB Active Member
As RXQ has been on the market for about a month or so I think you'd have a better chance of finding weapons grade plutonium laying on the sidewalk on The Gaza Strip. Having said that this is the place to find one though if possible or maybe a facebook group I think a few of the guys here host pages maybe they can find someone unhappy with their RXQ for you?

Last edited:

Pyrofan

As RXQ has been on the market for about a month or so I think you'd have a better chance of finding weapons grade plutonium laying on the sidewalk on The Gaza Strip. Having said that this is the place to find one though if possible or maybe a facebook group I think a few of the guys here host pages maybe they can find someone unhappy with their RXQ for you?
Yea like everything I have read says the RXQ is better than the ATN and Pulsar has better customer support than ATN. I just cant justify spending $500-$600 more.

LSB Active Member
I will say having had the RXQ since early June I'm thrilled with the performance. Video wasn't on my list of needs so it was an easy choice when paired with the Pulsar rep for customer service which can and does happen with electronics at least in my experience. Everyone has to boil down their wants and needs. I had to get on top of the hog problem b/c they destroyed our deer season last year and I was the only one willing to go out and try to get rid of some b/c trapping isn't enough. I dumped a 308 bolt to bridge the gap in $ I didn't want to part with. Maybe sell some unused optics? Rifle? Once I went to the 308AR a bolt gun became useless to me.