Practicing with Night Vision

Discussion in 'Night Vision/Thermal' started by wigwamitus, Nov 1, 2014.

1. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Do you hire a small band of pygmies to carry that for you Wiggy?

2. wigwamitus

wigwamitus LSB Member

Haha, it is 14 pds 2 oz without the 14 and 14 mount, per the postal scale.

3. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I would use a tripod with a wheel.

4. Curly Shuffle

Curly Shuffle LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I couldn't pick that up!!:) UGH UGH!!

5. wigwamitus

wigwamitus LSB Member

Yeah, it is embarrassing but the 5.56(18) is actually heavier than the 6.5G(18) ... and I got the 5.56(18) specifically to be my "light rifle". Those ancient Daniel Defense rails probably weigh 2 pounds. One day I will replace them with seekins and save a pound and a half probably.
    ==
    Here is the 6.5G(18)

[​IMG]

The gun as shown is 13 pounds 7 oz. (no mag and no clipon). With a magazine with 15rds it is 14 lbs 8 oz. And with the thermal clipon and 15 rd mag it is 15 pounds 11 oz. I didn't weigh it stripped, but it is pretty light. I'd guess 7 pounds.

The RAPTAR is 10.8 oz, so not super light ... it all adds up !!

==

6. Shooter

Shooter Bedford, Texas SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

when it is all said and done what do you figure that weapon plus all the goodies weighs. Disregard/ you answered as I was posting.

what area are you from

7. Rookie

Rookie LSB Member

Brigand Arms – Innovative Weapons Systems

I have one of these on my rifle. It's super light.

8. wigwamitus

wigwamitus LSB Member

I am from the area known as the Flint Hills of Kansas. :)

==
    Oh that does look super light!

9. wigwamitus

wigwamitus LSB Member

2017-12-16
    2200-2230
    40F
    10 MPH S

Goal: Coop Patrol

Environment: Breeze from South, overcast, no moon.

Equipment: 5.56(10.5) PAQ-4C, 77gr FM(r) Spartan-3, Helmet PVS-14, PAS-29

[​IMG]

Activity: Fired up NODs in garage before I went out the door. I don't always do that. Saw opossum at 25yds immediately. Aimed laser, saw eyes, fired, drt. The spot was right under the normal, guinea tree, but we have encouraged the guineas to stay in the barn for the rest of the winter, so they are fine. The opossum was 35yds from the coop.

[​IMG]

Saw the cattle out in the alfalfa patch bedded down.

Heard some yotes to the East within a mile, but at least 600yds on the other side of our Signal Hill.

Summary/Results: During "banzai" season, from last week of Oct thru mid-Nov this year, I think the count was 14 coons and opossum and 1 yote, all within 100yds of the coon, most within 50yds, some within 25yds. I think I've only gotten 2 since then and then this one tonight. I did see a yote within 100yds on Thursday night, but only had the ODIN with me. I ran it off, but could not shoot it with no weapon.

RattlesnakeDan likes this.
  10. wigwamitus

wigwamitus LSB Member

2017-12-19
    2200-2230
    30F
    10 MPH S

Goal: Coop check

Environment: Stars, clear, breeze, no moon.

Equipment: Equipment: 5.56(10.5) PAQ-4C, 77gr FM(r) Spartan-3, Helmet PVS-14, PAS-29 (same as post above)

Activity: Went out, saw critter (opossum or Coon smallish) in tree within 10 yds of coop. Aimed laser fired, this was 45yd shot I am zeroed at 50yds. Critter feel out of tree and onto creek bank. I did not head down to get it last night.
    Here is pic this morning

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  11. wigwamitus

wigwamitus LSB Member

I like the RAPTAR so much, I got two baby brother radiae. One for my shooting buddy and a backup for me.

[​IMG] upload_2017-12-20_22-35-28.gif

Though the RAPTAR has an ir-laser and the Radius has a viz laser, I zeroed the Radius to the scope reticle using the same process I used for the RAPTAR.

01 - Mount Radius on the 12 o'clock mount over the scope
    02 - Activate vis laser in the house.
    03 - Co-witness to the scope reticle.
    04 - Mount the 14 scope adapter and the PVS-14 on rear of scope.
    05 - Move everything out side and setup.
    06 - Turn on the 14
    07 - Aim at mineral feeder 415 yds away.
    08 - co-witness the laser to the scope reticle.
    09 - Check the distance = 416yds
    10 - Check distance to fence post = 77yds (check)
    11 - Check distance to telephone pole = 106yds (check)

It works!

And just like with the RAPTAR, with my eye still on the target, I can see the distance with my other eye without moving.

12. wigwamitus

wigwamitus LSB Member

We talk more about our "good sheit" ... but I'm in the process of redoing my helmets for the first time in 3 years ... and everything is torn apart in flux, so I decided to take one of the backups to the backups out for one of my nightly checks ... a Bushy Equinox 4.5x digital NV. I threw a T-20 ir-illum on it to give it a bit more power.

[​IMG]

After getting outside and turning things on and getting focused, I spotted a deer at 250yds to the SSW coming over a ridge heading straight for me. The eyes were lit up by the T-20 ... the deer continued to the 200yd mark where it jumped the fence ... continued to the 175 yard mark and jumped another fence, then finally turned East ... I continued to watch it until it disappeared into the Turtle Creek gully. I scanned about. I could see a mineral feeder on top of the ridge at 415yds to the SE. I could see an Owl in a tree at 100yds. I could not see anything in the alfalfa patch. Illuminators are not good at seeing things thru tree lines, which thermal can see. The illumination bounces off the trees (or any vegetation) and washes out the view. Much like white light does. But I was still impressed that this setup had some use. Had any critter been within 100yds of the coop on the ground I couldn't seen it, with the exception of in the Apple Orchard. As to critters in the trees, it would depend on whether there was any blocking vegetation.

==
    Later I went out with ODIN 1x 17mm 320(30) and was able to see the cattle in the alfalfa patch working on 2 bales I put out earlier. I could not see them with the equinox/t-20 setup but could see them with the thermal, again showing the plus of thermal being able to see critters thru even small gaps in tree lines.

13. ZapEm

ZapEm New Member

Flint hills area..... got a good friend up there that flies a SuperCub. Lots of critters.