Practicing with Night Vision

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, glad to see you're alive and kicking. NICE kitty !! We need to hear the tale of that adventure.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
The tale of the adventure with no tail ...
==
2016-02-28
2000-2130
30F
03 MPH WNW

Goals: Walk to Jungle and back.

Environment: For most of the day we had 15-25 MPH winds from NW varying to W. But tonight, the wind died and out in the pasture where I went, I couldn't feel any while walking out. No moon, it rises later now. But it was very clear so the stars were bright and some light from the horizon was adding to the situation. Officially it was "dark" due to no moon but it was on the bright side of dark.

Equipment: 14 and Odin on helmet with new UNV battery pack powering the Odin. 5.56(10.5) with IRD Mk2, 35mm, BH77SMK, pack with water bladder and Fox Pro.

Activity: On the walk out to the pond I made sure to hydrate, so I would be able to forego once I reached the setup area. I was following the same route and plan I made during the day, but just without the wind, which was worisome. Once reaching the pond I took a quick break and then headed out to the tree line where I would be setting up. This is a line of trees that represents a break in the 80 acre pasture at the 40 acre line. Not sure why it is there, but it is. There are only about 5 trees in the line and it is about 300yds across. I had setup one bale at the Western most tree about 150yds from all real tree lines to the N, E and W. To the South the pasture extends 500yds to the fence and then another 880 yrds to the next fence. I walked off 50yds due North from the bale and setup the FoxPro which was setup facing E. I returned to the bale and stood to the West of the bale. Thus I was cross wind and slightly down wind at 50yds from the FoxPro which would be calling due East to the "Jungle" 150yds away. So I tried Jackrabbit distress for 150s. I scanning 180yds centered due East, with by blind spot being about 20 degrees due East. A couple of times during the 150s I did quick 360s. No critters were seen. I then offed the FoxPro and waited another 150s while continuing to scan. Then I tried Adult Cotton Tail for 150s scanning. Then off for 150s. At some point during the 150s a coyote sized predetor was spotted about 100yds due East of the FoxPro. At my 2 o'clock if I was facing the FP. I continued to watch the predator. It made a wary approach stopping every few steps to check things out. It looked in my direction several times, but seemed mostly focused on looking straight at the FP, which had been off and remained off. It continued towards the FP and I was determined not to shoot until it busted either me or the FP. The exercise continued with the critter stopping sniffing and glancing my way and back to the FP and coninuing. When it was about 50yds from the FP (measured later) it decided it had had enough and turned around, but remained stationary after turning around. That was the "shoot me now" moment so I took a shot and it turned to the North and then went down. I approached slowly but directly while continuing to scan. I know if I want two I shouldn't and I thought that, but I didn't want the first one to some how get away, so I continued to move forward. Yes it was down, but I hadn't seen any death rattle. When I got close enough to see it, the head was moving and it was licking its paw, then laid head down, then raised head up and licked paw. I decided on a mercy shot. That generated a death rattle wiggling of the legs. I needed to go back and get the camera. I hadn't been too confident, so didn't bring it :D. So I walked the mile back to the house, got the camera and rode the buggy back out. Took some pics. It was a Bobcat. I'd never seen one around here (that I know of) but my neighbors have reported plenty of them.

Results/Summary: For our purposes, a Bobcat is functionally equivalent to a coyote, it will attack our chickens. The second round hit almost exactly the same spot the first one did, center spine, so the first round was a kill shot, it was just a matter of time. I suppose the second bullet was wasted. Mistakes: Should not have moved for another 150s after hitting the Bobcat. Should have done a better job of IDing the critter. Based on size and movement I knew it was within my ROE, but I am supposed to observe. The lack of a tail should've been instantly recognizable. I should've known it was a Bobcat before I fired. Or at least that it wasn't a Coyote. As I know the critter was 50yds East of the FP and I was 50yds South of the FP, the straight line distance of the shot was 70yds, I should've held down a tiny bit, I did not, that's why the shot hit the high back. I was aiming center of mass.

kryptekman

LSB Member
I purchased a stell torso target, the temps have risen into the 40s so I took it out to 338 yards.

I was able to see the torso, but not in crisp detail. Once the plate can sit in the sun and get above 5o it should be pretty sharp.

I was able to get hits at 338 using 55g m193 on an LWRC m6a2 with the Armasight Predator. Aiming at the face resulted in center mass hits with a 100 yard zero at 338.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2016-04-30 // 05-01
2000-0500
50F
03-08 MPH NW

Goal(s): Feral Hogs and Coyotes in Wichita Falls Texas with partner I will call Fred.

Environment: I started out slightly overdressed and was hot ... but as the evening progressed and the temp dropped and the wind picked up ... I ended up being slightly underdressed and chilly. Net/net I was pretty good. It was a very clear night ... stars totally visible ... no moon until 0345 ... It was drier than I expected ... in Kansas ... at least on my land .. it takes 4+ days to dry out after a good rain ... apparently in Texas less so ... we were not sloshing around much in these pastures in Wichita Falls.

Equipment: 6.5g(18) with 123 SST, Zeus Pro 100 4x 640(60), Harvester. Helmet with ODIN 17mm 1x 320(30), PVS-14 720nm filter on front, 915 Laser illuminator, 3 lumen RGBW admin light. Primos trigger stick.
Fred had 6.5g(16) with 123 SST, IRD-MK2 35 2.45x 640(30). Primos trigger stick.

Activity: We went to two areas the first area we were at from dark (about 9pm) until about mid-night, then 1 hour travel to second area which we were at from about 1am until about 4:30am ... about 45m after moon rise.

Area 01: We saw no pigs in this area. We saw a number of smaller critters outside our ROE, like coons and rats and we saw a number of larger critters outside our ROE like cattle and deer. We did see several coyotes.

Coyote 01, Fred tried to call in but it moved off.

Coyote 02, got a pass as a vehicle showed up too near the LOF.

Coyote 03, Fred called it in and it was running in ... my first shot, head on might have missed, it then turned to its right, my second shot might have missed, it then turned right again and was headed away, my third shot might have missed, it then turned left, ran a few steps and front went down and rear went over front and legs went up in the air wiggling. I'm not sure which shot hit it, but at least one of them did. Looking at the coyote later, there was one clear entry wound center of right side and no exit wounds on that side. That would seem to rule out all my shots and as I took no shots at that coyotes right side. But it would certainly seem to rule out the second shot as that shot was taken looking at the left side of the coyote broadside. So it was either the first shot or the third shot. The distance was about 70yds, based on walking there fromn the firing position. The 123 SST made pulp of the exit would side ... about 60% of the exit wound side of the coyote was a solid bloody mess. The 123 SST seems to be overkill for yotes, but then I was going HOG hunting! :)

Rnrbsxeh.jpg

Coyote 04, busted us (we were upwind) and moved away.

We did a lot of driving, walking and scanning but saw no hogs in this area on three different properties.

Area 02: We turned off the hard road onto a gravel road and dismounted and right there in front of us was a group of 30 hogs ... the grass was high and we could only see the backs of the larger ones ... they were mostly bedded down, but a few were moving away from us. Vehicles go by this spot and I think the hogs were used to that ... I had setup and scanned and then asked "what is the plan"? I then learned we were not supposed to shoot hogs in this field ... this field was outside our ROE !!! (oh my we could've mowed them down!) We then drove East to the owners house and parked and stalked back West, half a mile to where we had seen the hogs and could not see them. Then we returned to the area of the vehicle and then headed (on foot) North half a mile across a rough pasture to the top of a big hill. We could see a long ways in all directions from up there. The position we had seen the hogs at was about 1200yds from our current position. Eventually we could see them ... there were cows to the West and North of the hogs and also to the South of the hogs ... the hogs were in the SW corner of this huge field. We were both using 2x digital magnification to see them most clearly and be able to count them. Fred was at 5x (2.5x optical and 2x digital) and I was at 8x (4x optical and 2x digital), we were mostly on black hot. We also spotted some hogs near a pond to the SSW at about 300yds. We had a choice to return back the way we had come and then try to flank this closer group, or to head down the cliff to our NW and then head SSW towards this closer group of hogs. We decided on the direct path, down the cliff. Fred turned on weak white light to navigate down the cliff. I turned on green 3 lumen light on helmet. We navigated down the cliff using our shooting sticks (retracted) as ersatz walking sticks and our vis lights ... the terrain was steep, but not too steep to go down front ways ... the issue was there was a lot of boulders which made the going very uneven and you had to watch your step. We were going down the cliff about to the West. Once we got down then we headed due South to move around the pond. We did not stop to check for the pigs, we moved as fast as we could without falling. When we got near the pond we stopped and looked and the pigs were gone. We were in low ground now and we could see no pigs. We then continued around the pond moving through some wet and low water areas. I had on muck boots which worked well. Fred had on regular boots and his boots got full of water. Finally we were moving West towards the original spot we had seen the pigs.
We setup and looked once we got high enough ... and lo and behold ... there was a long single file "convoy" of hogs rolling NNE at about 800yds ... we discussed moving back to the big hill to try to cut them off ... about the time we were ready to move, the head of the column (a huge Sow) did a half left and the column was now headed NNW away from us into a wooded area. There was a house in that area .. .and near the road over there was outside our ROE, it was heading towards 5am ... we called it a night.

[video=youtube;H-tAQdxjJek]

Summary results: A lot of fast walking ... Fred's style matches the terrain, but I was expecting smaller pastures ... approaching close to the hogs ... under 100yds ... etc. big learning for me is make no assumptions ... be prepared for open or close terrain!
Spotting with the thermals at 800-1200yds quickly was also a new activity for me ... I would rate the ZP100 and the Mk235 about even for detection/id at these distances. Sometimes I could see hogs, Fred couldn't see and sometimes he could see hogs I couldn't see ... the tall grass meant they would come in and out of visibility as they moved .. you had to keep actively scanning. Digital magnification actually helps at these distances. And BTW, my ZP100 has new software update, per April 2016 - validated via call to Armasight.
As always, the image through the thermal was much better than the image we see on the video.
And thanks to Cliff at ******************* for getting me this Zeus Pro 100mm, 4x, 640(60) ... it is a great long range thermal!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... look what the cat dragged in !!!! Be strange, but not a stranger there (yer Wigginess). Glad to see all's well, been wondering where you been hiding.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Back to Texas for another try, sorry you did not get on any hogs or is there "the rest of the story" coming? Fred shy or too famous to be mentioned?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
... is there "the rest of the story" coming? ...

Well now we know where they are! I suggested trying to "drive them" out of the "safe zone" to an "engagement area" but it would probably take about 3 drivers and 2 shooters ... and some radios ... we didn't have all that.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A wagon train of hogs going somewhere. Dang it would have worked my nerves to see all those hogs and can't shoot.

kryptekman

LSB Member
Went for a stroll tonight, took my LWRC REPR out instead of the M6 w the thermal.

I will be damned if the REPR +bipod and 6-24x50 scope is lighter or more balanced than my M6 with a Magpul D60 and Armasight Predator.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Two eform 1s for sbr lowers for a trust
filed: 13 March 2016
approved: 26 August 2016

So 5.5 months for eform 1s (up from 3.5 months pre announcement) ... not as bad as I expected. But I have 4 suppressors still in jail, one filed back on 31 Dec 2015, so the Form 4s are taking at least 9 months now and we won't know until they start getting approved.

kryptekman

LSB Member
Turning into fall here in Alaska, went out tonight and got three moose, a squirrel and some crazy screaching hawk on the Predator336. The one time I dont take my DVR and I see a bunch lol...

009_1 by None None, on Flickr

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those will be nice in the crock pot...good job. :D

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Make you a new topic for Alaska!!

kryptekman

LSB Member
Sorry guys, not able to film from the DVR for some odd reason now. When I insert the 2.5mm cable into the DVR it turns off right away, It never did this before. Can anyone provide me with a working 2.5mm Video In to Yellow RCA?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Q-14 report ...

I have had several symptoms with q-14, which I got from NCS Sept 2015.

01 - Image grainy

11 - Extended battery cap and Armasight provided 16850 batteries never worked.
12 - For past six months buttons would freeze up intermittently, causing need to remove battery to regain control of unit. This symptom got to the point where it happened every time I used the unit, within 5 minutes of turning unit on and prompted returning it for repair.

==
01 - I was able to solve 01 myself, by, earlier this year, by adopting the technique of "nuc the s%&^ out of it" which I now apply to all thermals with super positive results.

11 & 12 - I called Armasight, er FLIR O&TS got an RA from Andrew, mailed the Q-14 on a Monday and received it back on the 9th business day after mailing it. And all issues solved. I've asked what they did, so I can prevent a recurrence, but I am amazed that even during their merger transition (I have been thru a number of painful mergers myself) they are still on top of the game of customer service or perhaps even better than ever!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2017-01-28
2100-2200
40F
15 MPH W

Goal: Patrol

Environment: No moon, clear sky, moderate wind from West. Another great night.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3), IRD-MK3 35mm, 77gr FM(r), AAC Mini. TW Bump with ODIN 17mm 320, pvs-14.

Activity: Patrolling around Chicken coop, saw some rats to the SW near green house, so headed over there. Moved into shadows to the South of the green house and watched the rats. Headed SW toward two larger rats, then saw yote at 45yds and took a shot ... it twirled like it was hit, but then ran off to the ESE. I followed ... I saw it 200yds away after it crossed turtle creek. I continued to pursue. It was limping. I leaned on fence and took another shot, it ran laterally for about 20yds and then went down. I went to the spot, confirmed dead and dragged to trail. Then went and got 4-wheeler and redeployed dead yote and took some pics.

Summary: I'm 90% sure this is one of the "seniors" that has gotten at least one of our guineas. I've been after them for almost 18 months. Surety based on position and direction of yote movement. It was coming down from the hill to our SW where the seniors live. It was a pretty big one in my experience. Took both hands to lift it.

GIxQNJvh.jpg