OK need mounts for Airsoft helmet

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the 2 is ok, the 4 have not looked thru and the 6 too much magnification..my ranges are 40-75yds and it is fine for that. I am NOT an ATN fan but someone told me about these and he liked his had traded the 6 for a 2.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For what we do, the real helmet makes no sense. Unless hogs start shooting back. I use the cheap helmet for my PVS 14

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is where I am right now, useable but not perfect, PICT0826.JPG more mounts on the way to try

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went with the Crye Precision Nightcap instead of a helmet. I'd rather give up head protection for breathability.

http://****.com/shop/crye-precision-nightcap™-nvg-platform/

How is the support and comfort levels on that thing? I do not wear my helmets for protection just stability and comfort that looks interesting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey for $36 it is more comfortable than I expected, the chin strap is thinner than I like, replaceable pads, good for trying it all out.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
For me, in the winter, I like the solid top helmet to retain warmth and deflect wetness on head.

In the summer, I like the open hole helmet to release warmth.

My solid top helmet is over sized, so I can wear balaklava under it.

My open hole helmet is right sized so it is tight.

Crye is probably great, but I already have a "skull crusher" for bug out bag and don't need another head mount at this point.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Frank, it looks like you have the NVD on your right eye. Try moving it over to your left eye.

In the pic it looks like the device is too high and angled off to the right.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yep, that is the issue I have run into, the mount and the sight do not like each other. Still working on adjustments and have more mounts coming to try. Right now I don't have the fit and sight picture I want. The sight cannot sit flat due to a battery compartment and I am still unfamiliar w all the adjustments...still working on it. Oh an in FL you don't need closed helmets.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Crye is probably great, but I already have a "skull crusher" for bug out bag and don't need another head mount at this point.

How is the support and comfort levels on that thing? I do not wear my helmets for protection just stability and comfort that looks interesting.

You're doing yourself a major disservice if you're putting the skull crusher and the crye nightcap in anywhere near the same category.

While there are certainly reasons to run a Bump helmet when doing more rigorous activities, majority of the time breathability is a far more needed and desirable feature!

While I don't have near the extensive experience of use with headmounted gear as many of you, I've not found this lacking in either support or comfort.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For what we do, the real helmet makes no sense. Unless hogs start shooting back. I use the cheap helmet for my PVS 14

I agreed with this until the cheap helmet mounting plate broke dropping the pvs. For me it was sitting in the seat so no damage would hate to see it break and drop to the ground.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you can replace the plastic with a metal helmet mound as far as I can tell if the plastic insert breaks, I will tether the sight

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What I have determined is the sight I have the ATN DNVM-2 , attaches to the Jarm too wide and will not line up to the eye, left or right, as far as I can tell it will not adjust to the proper position so it is not good for helmet mount. Boy have I got some nice mounts!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I have a spare 300...lol, I do have gorilla tape!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You could always do my temporary redneck version. I bolted on a rail to the underside of a ball cap and mounted the PVS14 to that. It worked well enough for scanning, but needed a counter weight if I was to walk around at more than a slow pace.
View attachment 2403 View attachment 2404 View attachment 2405 View attachment 2406 View attachment 2407
And, if you wanna continue with the redneck theme... rivet a scrap of leather to the opposing corner and a grommet to the end hanging down below the cap, and stretch a bungee to your belt loop. ('Course, one side of your trousers may want to sage after that)

But, a feller COULD screw a wedge (to level the angle) to the bill of a construction hard hat, affix the pic rail to the wedge. Use one of those hard hats that allow you to crank it snug on your head. Or... for more hot areas... one of those face shields that crank down the same way and rig up what you need.