Lights and such to hunt at night

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
One thing about these 18650 batts........they are susceptible to severe shock(as in inertia). If they take a hard bump or drop onto a hard surface they CAN be disabled. There is a small circuit inside these batts and it can become damaged.

I have used these batts for a couple of years now and had problems with two of them out of the 12-14 that I own. I consider it a small tradeoff for the power output and versatility of these batts. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
The circuit boards that can be damaged are not in the unprotected ones, but if you short circuit them , run them dead, or over charge them you will damage them. The short circuit and over charge can cause them to ignite, which lithium burns very hot and water will not put them out. If you don't run them dead and have a good charger and case to store them the unprotected ones will work great and are a little cheaper.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jessemm, yeah that is a good light, the exact same light from China can be bought for $26 or so look for links in this thread.

Trey@TheHuntingGame

TheHuntingGame
Vendor
I bought one of the solar motion lights off of Amazon... It will be tested out tomorrow night after a week of being up and running! I'm pumped! Thank you for the info!!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Trey@TheHuntingGame

TheHuntingGame
Vendor
That is the one I bought... and I'm about to get 2 more! I can't wait to go hunt them up tomorrow night! I will definitely post pics when we drop one!
Who needs night vision when you have these?!?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I mount them to a small backboard, then attach to a pine tree at my feeders, easy to move around that way. Good luck!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My boards are about 24-30" and only slightly wider than the unit.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Has anyone tried batteries plus. They are a small store always seem to have what ever battery I need?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nope I shine the light where I want to shoot and leave white, they get use to it and does not bother them at all.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok brain trust

Here is what I want to do: Make an inexpensive feeder flood light that is in the no-glow IR realm.
Would have a solar charged battery and either a motion detector or a electric eye to detect nightfall.
The advantages to the motion detector would be:
1. The light on indicates movement.
2. The motion detector should use less juice than the light being left on.
3. Longer life on the LEDs

The advantages to the electric eye would be:
1. Lower cost and one less thing to go wrong/fail.

So, your mission, Mr. Phelps, is to help design a prototype LSB feeder light for the night vision enabled.
Remember this light should be undetectable by the target species, not just unobtrusive.
Have a set it and don't go near it design. Be affordable and require no more than an annual cleaning/ maintenance.
Be enclosed to survive the rain and heat and cold. Maybe we modify an existing device, maybe we build up from scratch.

Let the thinking begin!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
great start

Okay, well that is a red glow light, 850nm

not what we want for this project.

Close, very close

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
easier to have an illuminator on your weapon so the light is not in a fixed location.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter