Lights and such to hunt at night

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh yeah white at the feeder, they come on every night for 5 year so they could care less

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Frank, you are 100% spot on... I bought the green light clone you listed first from lightmalls two years ago and it is definitely the same light. If you like hunting with a green light, that is definitely the best option for sure.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
By the way guys, I have been thru the white, green, red light approach to hunting feeders at night and my buddies and I finally realized that the mature hogs were staying in the shadows and rarely giving us an opportunity for a shot. So I started messing around with infrared. That was two years ago. After a ton of $$, prototypes, testing, etc, I have developed a few affordable systems that work great. I'm not sure if I am allowed to give out my web site link here per the forum rules, but if I can, I will do that. I think the thermal stuff is great but many of us just don't want to or are not able to spend several thousand dollars for it. After all, thermal just isn't necessary when hunting over bait from a blind. Please let me know if you are interested in hearing more and if I am allowed to say more without breaking any forum rules.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
ok brain trust

Here is what I want to do: Make an inexpensive feeder flood light that is in the no-glow IR realm.
Would have a solar charged battery and either a motion detector or a electric eye to detect nightfall.
The advantages to the motion detector would be:
1. The light on indicates movement.
2. The motion detector should use less juice than the light being left on.
3. Longer life on the LEDs

The advantages to the electric eye would be:
1. Lower cost and one less thing to go wrong/fail.

So, your mission, Mr. Phelps, is to help design a prototype LSB feeder light for the night vision enabled.
Remember this light should be undetectable by the target species, not just unobtrusive.
Have a set it and don't go near it design. Be affordable and require no more than an annual cleaning/ maintenance.
Be enclosed to survive the rain and heat and cold. Maybe we modify an existing device, maybe we build up from scratch.

Let the thinking begin!
Already have it.....

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
[QUOTE/]FrankT, post: 68468, member: 34"]That was the point I made, you do not need thousands of dollars of NV/Thermal to hunt hogs[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.

LSB Active Member
Oh yeah white at the feeder, they come on every night for 5 year so they could care less

Wow this is great thanks Frank. We have a feeder about 30 paces into the oaks across a field at 221 yards. It's always been a great spot for big bucks, but this past season it was overrun with hogs not a single buck or doe taken here all season. Problem was they were mostly in there after dark in big numbers lots of other eats in there than corn. I would bet we could light this place up and ping ping ping from the shooting house at night! Especially nice in the big storms.

I had considered a green light at the feeder, but always ASSumed a white light would shut them down. No doubt a decent white light would give us all we need to drop 'em.

upload_2017-5-23_6-18-20.png

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Not an authority on white lights on feeders but . . . I would think that the white light would not have to be extremely bright. Seems that a plus would be the higher tech LED's. They are whiter and not wash-out yellow looking.
I have several security lights around my house and they are from Home Depot. I believe that they cost $48. or so. They are extremely easy to set up as far as detection distance,time on,sensitivity, etc. I just put them on a 4"X4" in the ground. They are extremely bright and light up a huge area.
Make sure that when placeing your light,have it looking away from your static position. A 200yd shot with a good quality scope with a large objective should be doable.
Let us know how it goes. --- pruhdlr

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is a pic of the light mentioned above.
Forgot to mention that the light array,the sensor,and the solor collector can be moved/aimed independent of each other. This light has worked perfect for a year and a half. --- pruhdlr 20170523_071004.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah a scope at 220 yds may be OK but all mine are 50-75yds from a shooting position and it is plenty bright to shoot with a day scope...I however do have red and green kill light on my rifles or in the blind and with the white light going on and off they are not as noticeable to the animals. To me this is an effective way to hunt hogs from a fixed position to a feeder location when you are poor and not in the thermal/night vision game

LSB Active Member
prudlr thanks will give it a rip and report

frank i have a pretty lame green light it was a china special for maybe 20, but i like dit more b/c it could take reg batts. i'm bad about remembering to charge batts. i will say the allpredatorcalls green light my buddy has destroys mine i'd take a shot well past 200 with his light. i'm done by 100 with mine. might have to get something else going b/f thermal comes my way

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I have the elusive wildlife green x250 and its china clone I got for $20 and it is not lame but a long distance throw all are 18650 batteries

LSB Active Member
i'm checking that out! funny my buddy was busting my balls about 'cheap china light'. wonder if the allpredator models are from china. probably like everything else!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
NO 437 I did get that one first at their price $149 at the time I think but also got the China clone that is the same light for $20..both are still running strong

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Big post: 84651 said:
I have been developing IR setups over the last two years. I put together an IR flood light unit with photocell and motion sensor a while back. At this point I put it up when I arrive for a hunt and take it with me when I leave so I just use a 12v rechargeable feeder battery to power it each night. The one I use now stays on all night (no motion sensor) so I just sit back in the blind and observe the 5" screen on my night vision setup and pick up the gun when the hogs show up, hit the record button and take my shot. it beats staring thru an eyepiece all night . We can talk more if interested.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I have the standard solar motion light on my feeders, can I retrofit them to an IR light or just add one to the array?

I have something like this 60 LED Motion Sensor Solar Powered Outdoor Garden Security Flood Light Spot Lamp

View attachment 5114

84689, member: 34"]I have the standard solar motion light on my feeders, can I retrofit them to an IR light or just add one to the array?

I have something like this 60 LED Motion Sensor Solar Powered Outdoor Garden Security Flood Light Spot Lamp | eBay

View attachment 5114[/QUOTE]
Let me put a light together and get back to you. I may go ahead and send it with my other pkg so you can see how my buddies and I are taking hogs. I think you'll like it. the problem with the white lights flashing on and off is unless it's been there for several hog generations, it WILLspook them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah the white light has been there for 5 years but when I place the IR light I can turn off the white lights