Frog Lube

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
As I stated above, people apply too much, it definitely freezes, so if you have too much, can cause failures. That's why I believe there are better alternatives.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, so you preface with admitting that incorrect application of FL can cause a problem. And, that (by default) makes it an inferior alternative for gun care. Isn't that kind of like declaring that yer back side has gotten no relief when sitting after brushing your teeth with Preparation H?

However... if one follows directions... heats the metal, applies, allows it to cool, and wipes clean with a dry cloth to remove residue... you have DRY parts that have their manufacture's tolerances intact. The protection has impregnated the metal. The dry film residue after wiping the parts down aren't going to be enough to freeze up a weapon.

If one's firing his weapon at the -110F temps you say EWL Slip 2000 is good to... you have more to consider than whether or not your lubricant has frozen. Metal begins to do funny things at -50F.

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Inferior, well yes. I have FL, sitting in a box now. I found I had to reapply it too often. But, Inferior doesn't say how much.

I believe it works if you follow directions, but I'm surprised how many people don't. Watching videos online it is evident that they don't, that's where some part of there are better products come in, for the populous.

I still believe that other products are better, like slip2000. But I do like FL for coating parts like I would a silicon cloth, keeps from moisture etc, and not oily. But my friction parts have slip2000, and I hate using two things and having to heat something to apply it.

I still believe FL works well, but after switching to slip, I'm not slipping back lol.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I guess you just need to understand how FL works and apply it correctly, but when you are prejudiced against something for whatever reason there is no getting thru...Facts are hard to beat nad the facts and tests are in FL is a great product and if you want to go w no petroleum products to care for your weapons it is the best. When FL permeates the weapon you do not have to reapply to "see" it it will come out and lube the weapon as it heats up being fired. I guess it is good to follow directions with most products...but then I don't have to be right all the time the facts bear the truth out.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Comes down to what you want, how to apply it, etc. One thing I like is being able to apply without heating, say is you are in the field, however even though FL gives a process for applying, I believe you can coat lightly in the field If needed and wipe down, as you fire or will heat and have the same effect.

FL has to be applied just as other lubes, after cleaning. I don't believe using it as a cleaner, doesn't work. And I seen no difference in bore cleaning if you used in the bore vs without.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
OK boys, ya'll go to your corners and take a deep breath. Dave, send me your unused FL and I'll try it and give another opinion on its effectiveness.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FL is a CLP and keeps carbon from sticking and much easier to wipe off and not chip off. When used properly it cleans and treats the bore better than most products. I will take all the FL you have and don't like, just like everything else it is a preference.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What kind of engine oil do you guys prefer?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what weight?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Everybody knows that Frogs hibernate in the winter except in warm climates. Just sayin'.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Amsoil 5-40. Winter/summer and a few drops on the bolt.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Leave your bolt out of this.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just don't visualize. You'll be OK.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Our range staff just posted a warning in our bulletin that they have had multiple malfunctions due to frog lube. Said it turns gummy over time and weapons failed to cycle. I don't know,,, never used it.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll bet that they failed to CLEAN the petroleum based product from the gun prior to application of Frog Lube. The Frog Lube is displacing the petroleum product. Most likely, petroleum product, fouling, Frog Lube are globbing up together to create the condition you're hearing of.