LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Unfortunately, throwing chemicals at the food chain is no "new" concept in this country. As much as I feel for folks having their livelihood destroyed by these beasts... I cannot agree with the use of poisons, and risking a tragic result of nature's balance being thrown off kilter.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, it isn't exactly a poison per se. Sodium nitrate is actually a preservative used in some of the foods we eat, such as bacon, ironically. Or, the other way to look at it is that everything is a poison in sufficient quantities or levels of ingestion. Hogs don't have much of enzyme needed to break down the sodium nitrate very well and as a result, it gets into their system and keeps the blood from absorbing the oxygen. They go to sleep and die.

The problems I see are multifold, however. Because of the risk to wildlife and livestock, the poison must be delivered by specific types of feeders that only allow access for hogs. This is supposed to eliminate by-kill. Maybe it will. I just have to wonder how long such selective feeders will actually function correctly. The concern here is that they stop precluding other animals access.

Having only seen the prototypes on video, one thing that I noticed they didn't stop of spillage. If the hogs don't police their mess, then other animals will.

It will be interesting to see how well it works. I suspect it will have limited success. Hogs will likely either become more tolerant of the sodium nitrate over time or it just won't be used by enough places places to be effective. If the hogs really have to eat this stuff for 3-6 weeks as claimed in the article, I don't see how it is going to work at all.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, it isn't exactly a poison per se. Sodium nitrate is actually a preservative used in some of the foods we eat, such as bacon, ironically. Or, the other way to look at it is that everything is a poison in sufficient quantities or levels of ingestion. Hogs don't have much of enzyme needed to break down the sodium nitrate very well and as a result, it gets into their system and keeps the blood from absorbing the oxygen. They go to sleep and die.

The problems I see are multifold, however. Because of the risk to wildlife and livestock, the poison must be delivered by specific types of feeders that only allow access for hogs. This is supposed to eliminate by-kill. Maybe it will. I just have to wonder how long such selective feeders will actually function correctly. The concern here is that they stop precluding other animals access.

Having only seen the prototypes on video, one thing that I noticed they didn't stop of spillage. If the hogs don't police their mess, then other animals will.

It will be interesting to see how well it works. I suspect it will have limited success. Hogs will likely either become more tolerant of the sodium nitrate over time or it just won't be used by enough places places to be effective. If the hogs really have to eat this stuff for 3-6 weeks as claimed in the article, I don't see how it is going to work at all.

Texas already said no to sodium nitrate, this is warfarin branded as Kaput. Rat poison / blood thinner.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting. Just curious, what are the sources for Texas having rejected sodium nitrate and/or to be likely bringing in warfarin? I had a search on Google Alert for this and haven't seen either, but then again, if you don't use the right terms, the articles won't show.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting. Just curious, what are the sources for Texas having rejected sodium nitrate and/or to be likely bringing in warfarin? I had a search on Google Alert for this and haven't seen either, but then again, if you don't use the right terms, the articles won't show.

They are keeping all this extremely quiet. They do not want the public or hunters to find out so very little info online. They are kkeping it quiet for the exact reason you are seeing in this thread, only supporters I have found are a few farmers and the chemical/poison companies.

They are mostly telling the farmers in the feral hog management meetings. Lucky for us their are ranchers that attwnd these and do not want these poisons out there either. From what I understand after talking to several farmers now the sodium nitrate was killing other animals in the test.

I really do not expect this warfarin to work either. But I'm tired of them releasing all these chemicals into the environment.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Abilene is having a farm, ranch, and hunting expo on 21 Feb. One of the seminars is feral hog management. I plan to try to make it there and see if any of this is brought up.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you know the cost of eliminating the hog problem in the hunting and opting industry is? Over 2 Billion in gear and salaries. The real issue are the landowners who will not allow professionals on their land to rid them of the problem. Another are all the Wildlife Commissions in the States not opening public land all year, allowing baiting and night hunting and closing seasons on hogs most of the year. This would not be the problem it is now had these 2 groups acted properly 10 years ago allowing trappers and pro hunters year round access!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Same with federal land, trapping only. That is why farmers adjacent to the federal lands very seldom catch many hogs.
The dumb ones were caught within the federal land. Even the fields belonging to the federal gov't that are leased for farming only trapping is allowed. I tried several times to get a night permit, the farmers wanted the hogs not going into the traps to be shot, but guy running the federal property wouldn't issue a permit. So not much I could do, so farmer stopped planting corn. Then the market fell out on corn so not much planted in the last few years.

D

djones

The real issue are the landowners who will not allow professionals on their land to rid them of the problem. Another are all the Wildlife Commissions in the States not opening public land all year, allowing baiting and night hunting and closing seasons on hogs most of the year. This would not be the problem it is now had these 2 groups acted properly 10 years ago allowing trappers and pro hunters year round access!
that sounds fine on paper, but i'm not sure it would actually work out that way in the field. i've had farmers tell me they've tried fences, poison, traps, hunters and the chopper, and no one did as much for them as i did. they say the hogs used to dictate what they could plant but thanks to me they could now plant whatever they wanted. i'm not saying this for my ego, it's big enough. i'm saying that even with all the above plus the hogs i kill, they are still there. not sure what a professional hunter could do that i'm not. when hogs get tired of getting killed, they move to another field. then the neighbors complain and the farmer gives them my name. then the hogs become someone else's problem again, for a while. eventually i have a large area to hunt but hogs find enough cover to still multiply. yeah, yeah i miss a lot of hogs, but i kill a lot too. if i can still see them, i keep shooting.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Steady hunting pressure, no lights, suppressed rifles will do the job.
Pigs die or pigs leave and go to areas of less pressure, then you follow them until you do not have access to the land they are on. Hunting them with spotlights is better then nothing, but when you have to compare something to nothing that says everything. Years of spotlighting by others at one farmers place and hogs were increasing population each yr. After 1 yr of hunting with night-vision, thermal , and suppressed rifle yielded 3yrs of no hogs to hunt on that property (121 hogs removed to BBQ). A few (3) moved to adjacent property I do not have access to hunt. Now only stragglers may cross the fence. The sounder stays on the south side of the fence (up to about 30 hogs now after 3 yrs). Hundreds of acres of watermelon was planted last yr on the North side but they have stayed away so far. Well 1 did cross the fence last yr and he never went back home ;). He actually made several crossings this is what led to his demise.

D

djones

...Well 1 did cross the fence last yr and he never went back home ;)
cheers_zpsit7c8qka.gif

if my farmers only had 121 hogs, they wouldn't consider that a hog problem. i've seen that many in one field

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that sounds fine on paper, but i'm not sure it would actually work out that way in the field. i've had farmers tell me they've tried fences, poison, traps, hunters and the chopper, and no one did as much for them as i did. they say the hogs used to dictate what they could plant but thanks to me they could now plant whatever they wanted. i'm not saying this for my ego, it's big enough. i'm saying that even with all the above plus the hogs i kill, they are still there. not sure what a professional hunter could do that i'm not. when hogs get tired of getting killed, they move to another field. then the neighbors complain and the farmer gives them my name. then the hogs become someone else's problem again, for a while. eventually i have a large area to hunt but hogs find enough cover to still multiply. yeah, yeah i miss a lot of hogs, but i kill a lot too. if i can still see them, i keep shooting.

Well a good night for you is what 20 hogs, TLM and other pro killers do double or more than that. Part is knowing what to do, the other is they hit a lot more hogs than you do...not to attack your ego or anything. Chasing the hogs with bullets not hitting them just scares them and educates them, they just move to the next farmer. You at least need to invite Todd up just once, stay out of his way, ask questions and observe, it would help you tremendously. just sayin'

D

djones

i'm by no means the best hunter around, and certainly not the best shot. and i'm sure lawdogg kills many many more hogs with less than a fraction of the shots. not to speak for him, but i think he's got a vested interest in killing hogs. i'm just out there for fun. the fact that it helps landowners it what makes it possible for me. if i educate my hogs, it's still not that hard to out smart them, lol. and ughh... where are your kill pics again?? not flaming, just askin

:)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
where are your banners?? We all have a vested interest whether fun or business. But since you are new I will tell you a small fact. When TLM was killing hogs for FUN he killed 3-4 times (maybe more) than he does now for a business. It is just that he is that good a shot and can teach you in the field how and where and which hog to start with and why. Quite an education...

D

djones

where are your banners?? We all have a vested interest whether fun or business. But since you are new I will tell you a small fact. When TLM was killing hogs for FUN he killed 3-4 times (maybe more) than he does now for a business. It is just that he is that good a shot and can teach you in the field how and where and which hog to start with and why. Quite an education...
before i joined here, i was also killing 3 to 4 times the hogs i'm killing now, so that argument is without merit. there is no basis for banner bashing either. now, speaking of education, it's too bad you haven't learned to pick your battles better. perhaps you wouldn't have backed yourself into a corner. here goes....

your karate is crap and your sensei's karate is crap. what you got to say about that, chump!!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
your karate is crap and your sensei's karate is crap. what you got to say about that, chump!!!
Frank might judy chop you man!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am underwhelmed DJ, like a duel, but you are always hitting the dirt clods, I am safe as shi t! LOL