Feral Hog Poison

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After reading DJ's renagade post and seeing the hog with a gps collar for testing hog poison I've been doing research. It seems this stuff is coming to Texas in May if this is true they sure are keeping it very quiet.

I'm not a fan of poison there are numerous times its had bad effects on other things that took years for us to figure out. And also I admit I don't want to lose my #1 and only past time either. Also there is a whole industry built up around hog hunting now, night vision, thermal, ammuntion, baits, rifles, lights, ect that would be wiped out with this.

I'm not sure how or what to do but I'm going to figure out a way to stop this, may have to use those PETA snowflakes maybe finally they will be actually useful for something.

Here is the link. EPA Approves Wild Hog Bait

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lawdawg I don't think you are giving the hogs enough credit. I've seen people use different kinds of poison with legal and illegal materials on several occasions. It worked once and maybe twice then the hogs figured it out and would not touch it. One guy in particular got 22 in one night after they totally destroyed his yard. After that one night the rest of the sounder came back and never touched his bait. They are very, very smart.
Disclaimer: This was over 20 years ago and I don't remember who told me and never was told who the guy was. As stated earlier I have CRS.

This is not the first study that has taken place here. This is at least the third one and the second by UC.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OneK I'll givethem credit but I'm not taking any chances. I hate poisons as much as I hate trespassing and poaching. This just became a mission for me.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Rat poison, that's what kaput makes. Warfarin blood thinner just using a feeder to limit the critters that can get to it.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I sat through a seminar recently that touched on this subject. It will be a surprise to me if they release it for general use. The hogs are going to scatter the bait around the feeder and the first pure bred calf that comes up dead -Kaput will be Kaput.
And it will certainly be up to the individual landowners whether or not to put it out on their land.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ugh, I hate poisins. Besides lead and copper of course. I hope you succeed TLM.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've talked with guys that will trap a sow, put a gps collar on her, then release her to track her back to the rest of the sounder so they can go in with guns blazing!

I don't agree with the indiscriminate use of poison on hogs. I've seen 3 instances where dee, raccoons, rabbits, and turkey died by ingesting poisoned bait.

Maybe we should put a gps collar on DJ, release him in the middle of nowhere TX, and see where his track leads?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Poisons are not the answer, a birth control or abortive bait would be more effective and cause less damage. The Program TLM is talking about will be for landowners that take a 5 day class and become registered to use the bait, we will see how many really do that. After they lose some deer and livestock it will be terminated quickly.

I agree DJ with a tracking collar, let out on a property unarmed(not that he can hit much), may be a good idea..may I suggest commando too?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Poisons are not the answer, a birth control or abortive bait would be more effective and cause less damage. The Program TLM is talking about will be for landowners that take a 5 day class and become registered to use the bait, we will see how many really do that. After they lose some deer and livestock it will be terminated quickly.

I agree DJ with a tracking collar, let out on a property unarmed(not that he can hit much), may be a good idea..may I suggest commando too?
That's still a poison in my book.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Government trappers tried this on coyotes back in the 80's around here if I remember right. Had lots of unpleasant results and mad landowners from what I was told..

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
will see how many really do that

I guarantee you everyone that grows peanuts here will take it and make their hired hands take it too. I love hunting hogs (thank you Dr. Jones) but I also ranch/farm and I understand how much damage they can do. I'm on both sides of this. Nobody is going to spend all night every night staking out a peanut field/fields and that is what it will take to do any good. From planting to harvest the crop is vulnerable. These guys are my friends and I love and respect them and I have to side with them because they lose money every year to hogs.

Personally I think this will work for a while and then the hogs will catch on. I've seen this before several times.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OneK I know what you are saying, I am just thinking any bait site gets messy and the first family pet that gets killed due to this the wife and kids will put a stop to the poison. I have not seen or ever seen a hog only bait set where they are the only ones that can get to it and never spread around the bait.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All three research tests have been done on my land and the sodium nitrate was the best. The trouble with it was it also killed coons. I thought this was a positive addition to the hogs but the powers that be said no. It worked quick! At any rate the hog population here continues to grow even with the poison and the helicopter.

D

djones

I'm on both sides of this... and I have to side with them because they lose money every year to hogs.
i blame tlm for this. OinK hates hogs more than i hate only having 3 banners. i've seen him intentionally destroy a brand new truck by using it like a bowling ball on a herd.

when we realized the hog had a collar he said he would have pushed the hog out of the way and taken a bullet for him if he had known it was collared. this peculiar behavior all started after he got a lsb supporter banner

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The sodium nitrite works just by over oxygenating the blood and they die, same stuff that is in your sandwich meat but at high levels. Problem is they tried using it in feeders that only pigs could open but we know how that is not going to be very effective over time. THE ONLY POISON SHOULD BE LEAD POISON said 6.8spc

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
When a pig is collared and tracked back to the sounder that is what's know as the judas pig

Cost of kaput?

Cost for lead and copper poison is free to farmers and ranchers in my area, only a phone call away :D