Feral Hog Poison

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guarantee you everyone that grows peanuts here will take it and make their hired hands take it too. I love hunting hogs (thank you Dr. Jones) but I also ranch/farm and I understand how much damage they can do. I'm on both sides of this. Nobody is going to spend all night every night staking out a peanut field/fields and that is what it will take to do any good. From planting to harvest the crop is vulnerable. These guys are my friends and I love and respect them and I have to side with them because they lose money every year to hogs.

Personally I think this will work for a while and then the hogs will catch on. I've seen this before several times.

There is someone out there that will stay up all night stalking peanut fields. I'm out there all night hunting way less hog saturated properties. Well at leaSt less saturated now when I started the fields here looked like djones videos hundreds of hogs, now very few if any. Wish I was closer to you I'd be willing to bet I could do the same there.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Same here, several nights till no longer a problem.
Hunting, trapping and I guess poisoning to reduce hog population.
Any farmers that put out poison I will not spend my time shooting any.
Maybe when I need to start taking warfarin I will consider shooting some :)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also besides the negative side effects on the environment cause by poisons, the hog hunting industry is a multi million dollar industry now. If this worked it would cause far more significant loss in revenue that the hogs currently cause.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is someone out there that will stay up all night stalking peanut fields. I'm out there all night hunting way less hog saturated properties. Well at leaSt less saturated now when I started the fields here looked like djones videos hundreds of hogs, now very few if any. Wish I was closer to you I'd be willing to bet I could do the same there.

The difference is you kill the hogs and DJ scares and educates them...

Hard_ware

I wonder if collard peccary will eat any, that would be like poisoning deer, as they are a game animal.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is someone out there that will stay up all night stalking peanut fields
There probably are. But someone these guys trust I think not. Plenty of road hunters that shoot and leave them lay. They get filed on as I would do the same. No one wants to open the gate, close the gate, drag them to where the landowner wants them, open the gate and close the gate. It's too much trouble for them. This year there were about a dozen fields over a 5 mile radius. That is expected to almost double next year. There will be lots of poison out this year here. Time will tell of it works.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hope we dont have to deal with all that... hogs are extremely difficult to poison though. i used to try different tranquilizers when i was dog hunting. we were baiting and targeting the big boars and were trying to keep from getting dogs cut up so bad... gave up on the idea when a really large one killed 6 bulldogs after consuming an entire bottle of the stuff

D

djones

Same here, several nights till no longer a problem...
Any farmers that put out poison I will not spend my time shooting any.
i've hunted many spots several nights for many many years and the hogs are still there. of course, i don't kill very many either. however, i enjoy trying and wouldn't limit myself to only hunting places where i don't agree with the farmer. my first rule (after game laws of course) is to abide with whatever the farmer wants.

... gave up on the idea when a really large one killed 6 bulldogs after consuming an entire bottle of the stuff
are you sure he didn't get a hold of a flask of BR's rheumatism medicine?

The difference is you kill the hogs and DJ scares and educates them...
i'm beginning to think i'm one of those people who don't appreciate a good smartass

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
hey DJ, at least get out there and try, have fun and spray that lead. I am convinced you need an AK47 and a couple cases of x39 ammo. all you need is a flashlight to pray and spray! It would save you $$ on all that hi tech equipment

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
lol,its possible DJ... I also could have mistaken it with a bottle of JD i suppose. Either way it worked to the point he didnt run,but sure wrecked havoc when the catch dogs got to him! after 20+ years of getting dogs killed and nearly getting myself killed countless times i'm content now to just walk up on em and shoot em lol

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i've hunted many spots several nights for many many years and the hogs are still there. of course, i don't kill very many either. however, i enjoy trying and wouldn't limit myself to only hunting places where i don't agree with the farmer. my first rule (after game laws of course) is to abide with whatever the farmer wants.
So DJ...you are in the heart of where this is probably going to happen. What is your opinion on the whole poison thing?

Hard_ware

are you sure he didn't get a hold of a flask of BR's rheumatism medicine?

i'm beginning to think i'm one of those people who don't appreciate a good smartass

Nothing to do with not agreeing, hell I wouldn't go anywhere if I had to agree with everyone I had contact with :).
Just not willing to put my time diesel bullets and not get anything out of it, cuz I don't plan on eating any poisoned hogs :eek:
I don't have any farmers complaining they need hogs killed. Not much corn planted as USSR was a big consumer and obama blocked sales to them.
That's why deer corn is so cheap.
I guess if shooting them does not solve the problem for the farmer, then they will try something else.

Last edited:

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The gov tried poison here in the 60s and 80s. Our ranch was in both trials. The feeders sucked, killed a lot of birds and only a few hogs. They used stricnyne then, which was great for killing the coyotes that ate the poisoned hogs. The hogs that didnt get a large enough dose to kill tought the others to not go near the feeders.
Dad and grandpa killed more hogs with rimfires than the poison killed in the same time frame.
Back then Grandpa would drive around at dusk and dawn with a M1 and kill 30 hogs, then go on to his other chores. Thats 60 hogs per day, every day that he had grain planted. There are pictures where 100s of hogs were shot in a morning, and the rest of the day was spent hauling them up to the work camps in Salinas.
The only thing that brought the population down was removal of the primary food source and their bedding areas. We did control burns to remove the heavy brush and the grain became grapes (not by our choice, family sold out of the ranch). The hogs still raid the grapes heavily, but there is a much smaller window where they can feed on them and it is much harder for the hogs to get the fruit.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Aspp, where are you at in California?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A property I hunt now tried cyanide bombs at one time. They were setup with trip wires all over the hogs trails. They said they killed a bunch of hogs, but the place is even more covered up now.

They stopped using the cyanide bombs because they realized that they could easily forget where they placed one and then let cattle back in the area and end up with dead cattle. The risk our weighed the reward when it came to the poison.

In this case. If the poison is approved I have a strong feeling that ranchers will not be too interested in it. The risk it poses to cattle, sheep, goats, etc is pretty high. If they eat the poison that gets spilled onto the ground or if a hog knocks over a poison dispenser the livestock could get it pretty easily. I could see peanut and grain farmers putting loads of this stuff out with little regard for other animals.

I have heard a few times that Australia has poisoned hogs. Does anyone have the facts on this? Is it similar to the Kaput stuff or is it a sodium nitrate?

I for one, do not agree with poison. Too many 2nd and 3rd effects that we may not know about.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Right now, Lockwood. Half way between LA and SF, about 10 milesfrom the ocean. Moving to Squaw Valley though. Its just east of Fresno at the base of the serria nevadas.
We ran out of good neighbors, and I got the deal of my lifetime on 10 acres over there. Not selling the ranch, but couldn't pass this up considering all the issues we are having here.
3.5hr commute is going to suck.

D

djones

So DJ...you are in the heart of where this is probably going to happen. What is your opinion on the whole poison thing?
ironic you’d ask an opinion from a guy who only posts sarcastic stuff, lol. i can’t see myself being against too many things that help farmers, even if it encroaches on a favorite activity. i don’t just read or hear about the damage, i see it. i have friends who suffer financially from it.

i believe in planning for our own obsolescence. if we don’t, others will. if i never got to hunt another hog, i’d shoot coyotes and other stuff. i’m already setup for it.

what i said about disagreeing with a farmer was too vague. more precisely, i currently hunt places where i know there are no hogs anymore just because the farmer asks me to. if i stop, someone else will be happy to. if hogs ever show back up, i’m already in. of course it’s a different story if hunting hogs was my livelihood or i had to travel long hours to one spot that was poisoned out, but that’s not the case. around here i’d continue to hunt a place with poison. who knows, it may not work out in the long run, and i’d be positioned to get right back to killing.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter