Bushnell Equinox

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So the difference is the 3 will not record and the 4.5 will?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes sir I know...just would really like to record through it but not wanting a starting 4.5 magnification Think cheap ATN X sight

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
So the difference is the 3 will not record and the 4.5 will?
That is what we think based on the evidence.
RSD has the 3x with no 4th button.
Interestingly, the pic I pulled from the 3x on Amazon HAS the 4th button.
Is that the wrong pic? Or is there a newer model that RSD has with the internal recorder?
I think the pic on Amazon is of the 4.5x ... so I think the 3x does not have the internal recorder, based on RSD data.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 3x does not have record internal. It does ahve a cable out so an external could be used I believe. I read a hundred reviews before I bought the 3x, 90% of complaints were that the 4.5 or 6x was just too much mag for most people. Some sellers advertise the Equinox Z with a single picture which is usually the ones with video included. That is why I thought mine was going to include it. It wasn't really made clear anywhere that is was void of record that I saw at the time. Also I got an email from them today...they said 59.95 for that mount shipped...I think I will call Pooties guy!! lol. Not able to call today..busy day.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am picking this setup tomorrow NV compatible
Vortex Strikefire RDS & VMX3 Magnifier w swing mount

Guy wanted a scope so he sold it for about 1/2 his cost.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2015-12-09
2030-2100
50F
12 MPH S

Goal: Check .308WIN at 30yds and 50yds.

Environment: Cloudy, no moon. Some stars visible. Like Orion completely visible through a gap in the clouds. Wind from the S, at least 12 MPH gusting to at least 15 mph.

Equipment: .308WIN bolt gun with Bushy 4.5x monocular, Bushy TRS-32 dot sight, T-20 ir-illuminator.

g4goja8h.jpg

Activity:

G04 - 1 rd - 30yds - aimed dead center.
Result a bit high and a bit right. I wonder if I cranked too far to the right after G03. I cranked 4 clicks which was 16th of a full turn.

The dot is huge. Almost obscures the target. The 4.5x magnification is too much for anything resembling precision shooting. Also the "cheap" TRS-32 dot sight is not optimal either its dot is large to start with.
The internal ir-illuminator did not illuminate the target. There was too much wash out. This could be due to the internal illuminator bouncing off either the TRS-32 sight or the T-20 or both. I can try moving the T-20 to the other side of the gun. I will have to reverse the T-20 in its mount to do that, but it is doable. I might remove the T10 in order to be sure to minimize possible blocking objects. But I fear the windage knob on the TRS-32 is a blocking factor as well. Turning the internal ir down to ir-0 and turning on the T-20 illuminated the target just fine and then I was able to focus and get a clear picture. But once I turned on the TRS-32 dot, on the lowest power ("1") the dot obscured the target. But I tried to aim the center of the giant dot at the center of the target and got the result shown.
The gineas were in the tree right over my head and they flapped their wings when I fired. So I moved to 50 yds firing position.

7IaGtRch.jpg

G05 - 2 rds - 50ds - aimed at right edge of paper but level for elevation.
Result I was very well centered but 4.5 inches high. The wind was blowing from right to left (about 45 degrees off bullet path).
AB says to hold 4.3 inches down and 3.9 inches right.
The "dot" covered the entire target from left to right, but I could see the top and bottom of the paper. I fired off PRS tripod at 50yds, standing. At least we got something that looks like a "group" ... and the numbers make sense.
Until we get the gineas into their winter quarters, I will have to head out to the pasture to continue this testing so I can shoot without bothering the critters. But I am generally encouraged that this is a viable system, though there are issues:
01 - the dot is too big.
This can be mitigated by two means I can think of: (A) using a different dot sight with a finer dot. (B) Using the 3x Bushy instead of the 4.5x.
02 - The internal ir-illuminator can't illuminate the target even at 30yds.
I will try moving the gear around to clear the path for the internal illuminator. I am actually fine using the T-20, but for theory purposes, would like to know why the internal illuminator cannot illuminate the target when mounted on the gun.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Ordered 3x bushy. The 4.5x is too much for shooting it magnifies the dot so much the target gets obscured. So I will thus be able to give the 4.5x to the neighbor at least as a handheld monocular!

Video not a priority for me for this setup, so the 3x should be a better fit for short range shooting, say out to 300yds, if the dot is small enough or the target is large enough :).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the ATN DNVM-2 I am assuming it could be used the same way w a weapons mount? It has the tripod/helmet mounting hole on the bottom.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you have a close up of just your mount? My ATN has the female mount built in and it looks like the bushy mount is also female?

Last edited:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
ok, you want a close up of the bushy EZ mount? Or a close up of a PVS-14 rifle mount? Or a close up of a PVS-14 helmet mount?

Or all of the above !!?? :)

The Bushy EZ mount will NOT work for a PVS-14, I can assure you of that, er at least not without significant machine work!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the bushy mount, does it have the bolt popping up out of it to attach to a female mount in my ATN monocular...yeah the fit may be an issue...may just need to send it to you to try.

All I need is a pic rail mount flat with the tripod mount bolt popping up to attach my ATN.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Ok Frank, here is pic of the bushy mount

UwULeRU.jpg

I left it "large" so you could see max detail.

Is this what you wanted?

Joe

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So no bolt coming out of the bottom to attach to the scope? and I don't think that would work on this

big.jpg

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Right, the Bushy mount attaches to a pic rail on the side of the Bushy monocular. It is not a PVS-14 type of mount.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
10-4, thanks for all your clarifications. I wish this mounted to a helmet, it is light and the right length but the battery compartment keeps it from mounting flat and then it is an an angle too. Here I have my helmet and all the mounts too.