Bushnell Equinox

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wig
So you are setting up a digital NV scope instead of using the monocular for scanning without the weight/inconvenience of a rifle?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I expect to do both!

Actually I bought this device for a christmas present for a neighbor.

But, I would like to test it, so I can instruct the neighbor most properly on how to use it as this neighbor has no experience with NV/thermal, though they have looked through my NV/thermal and are interested.

So, in order to test the device both as handheld and as weapons mountable, I must do so!

==
I believe Bushy intended the 4.5x device to be useable as a component to a night sight. The "flier" in the box talks about 350g recoil rating and recommends TRS-25 or TRS-32 as sights to be used with the 4.5x NV. So I ordered a TRS-32 for $100 from Amazon, it should be here Monday.

I assume the intent is to mount the 4.5x behind the TRS-32. So that is what I will try.

==
I have gone out with the 4.5x and t-20 and compared the image from 0-500yds. The t-20 did help me see my steel targets hidden in vegetation at 300yds. I could not see them with the internal IR, I could see them with the t-20 (attached to the rail mount on on the 4.5x) if I zoomed in to the maximum extent. I was impressed with that. There was no moon at that time.

This is a useful NV device, no question about it.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
So then the issue is, with a TRS-32 on the rifle and the not so tiny 4.5 device behind it, the TRS-32 will likely be too far forward to be useable as a day sight if the Bushy 4.5 is removed. So does that mean the rifle upon which this setup is mounted must be a dedicated night gun?
Perhaps not. Because the 4.5 is a day monocular also!
If we set the IR to ir0 during the day, then we can probably use it has a day sight as well!
I will have to try all these things - ideally before xmas so I can show the recipient how to use the device. It will be a tough job, but it sounds like fun to me!
:D

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Just went out with Bushy 4.5 with t-20 attached to the rail. There is a cattle feeder 385yds from my bedroom window (I happen to know this from prior observation - I dry fire at that cattle feeder often lying in my bed with various rifles/scopes). So standing on the porch beside my bedroom window, with the Bushy at 1x digital (4.5 optical) and ir2 set on the device I could see the ridge, but not the cattle feeder. Turning on the t-20 I could see the cattle feeder. Turning off the t-20 and now knowing exactly where the cattle feeder was relative to my position, I could see a hint of a grey smudge. But I would not say I could see the cattle feeder. So again a better ir illuminator does actually extend the distance the device can see. These t-20s are now available on amazon for less than $50.
I might get another one of these bushies for a relative. This device makes it clear that "digital is coming" !!!

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are one engineering son of a gun!

I didn't see a gun mount - what did you get?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I need to put a card in this thing and take some videos! That was one reason to get the 4.5 since it has the built in recorder!!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Next they need to make one a bit smaller and lighter that we can mount on a helmet. We don't actually need a built in IR. We can separately mount an IR on the side of our helmets and many of us do that already with our pvs-14s. And we can skip the built in recorder to save weight.
But image a helmet mounted digital that can see say 500yds with the ir-illum on the helmet turned on, for say $400. You lose stealth against critters with NV, but otherwise you are at least able to see and move. And you can even drive a vehicle with no glass (ir not very useful to see out of a vehicle with glass). But like on a 4-wheeler you could roll just fine.
So then the $3000 PVS-14 setups are mostly needed to provide stealth from critters with NV or to enable driving vehicles with glass. But for many purposes the $400 solution will work!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wiggy, I appreciate you doing all the work. What T20 did you get?
I am glad to hear that you think it is a decent nv seeing how you have the good stuff your opinion counts for much...as for your neighbor ever getting that from you as a gift I am doubtful. lol

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I got my two t-20s from a guy named Kevin in upstate NY. But these ones on Amazon look identical except that have a brand name on the side. They are $36 today! I paid $100 !!! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Evolva-Future-Technology-Flashlight-Invisible/dp/B00U77KP56

==
Yeah, he will get his present once I figure out how to use these things! ;)

==
I will say the 4.5x is tough for scanning things nearby, the 3x would be better for that and hecque a 1x would be best. And the illuminators bounce off the trees and such. But in the open with a t-20 these things can see a long way!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
It's crazy, but I don't see it. I would call Optics Planet on Monday and ask them. If anyone can get it I would bet they can.

Here is the product number of the one I got that comes with the mount:

Model: Bushnell 4.5x40mm Equinox Z Night Vision And Rifle Mount Combo 260140MT

And here is the product number of the one without the mount:

Model: Bushnell 4.5x40 Equinox Digital Night Vision Black Monocular 260140

==
p.s. I checked ebay also ... no joy ...

Maybe you are better searcher than I !!

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Searched also and no joy so I emailed the seller and bushnell...If I get anything usefull back I'll be sure to post it.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Did you get yours from optics planet? If so, you might be able to exchange it. But be aware, for some reason the 4.5 which includes the rifle mount is about $100 more on Optics planet than it is on Amazon. That is unusual, but true in this case. I paid $257 for mine from Amazon and it did really come with the rifle mount.

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did you get yours from optics planet? If so, you might be able to exchange it. But be aware, for some reason the 4.5 which includes the rifle mount is about $100 more on Optics planet than it is on Amazon. That is unusual, but true in this case. I paid $257 for mine from Amazon and it did really come with the rifle mount.

No, ordered mine through Amazon also. Didn't see the rifle mount option, but wasn't looking for rifle attachment rather looking for scanning ability to compliment my Photon. But since I have seen what you are doing, I could have 2 NV equipped rifles for the cost of the mount since I have a red dot already.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Well, I have never seen a situation were a mount existed and you couldn't buy it separately, so hopefully you can, even if you have to "special order" it!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Ok, got the TRS-32 and mounted everything up. It works! Even in the day time, in "day mode" on the 4.5x I can see the dot fine and see out 100yds or so, haven't tried farther.
Need to adjust things back as far as possible to optimize eye relief, length of pull.
Need to improvise some sort of light shroud as, at least during the day the glare can be "exciting" off the back of the TRS-32 and that could be true on "big moon" nights as well. Such a light shroud will be a bit of a challenge, as the focus ring of the 4.5x is on the front of the objective.
I will work on this stuff and try to do some testing tonight. If this works, we are looking at a 200yd - 400yd NV rifle solution for about $400 (including the TRS-32 and the bushy 4.5x with the rifle mount). The 400yd solution might be possible in the open with either some moon or the t-20 attached, but for most conditions we would probably be limited to 200yds.
But can we hit anything with this setup? That is what we will try to determine tonight.
Will throw one of the T10 on there to test as well.

AgWL2Q9h.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Will this also fit on a helmet mount?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Not easily - anything is possible but the Bushy is pretty heavy and bulky for that. Also 4.5x would not work well on helmet. Short answer, "No" :)

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wiggy,
That is very neat set up. If you find a good machinist to copy that gun mount I'll be your first customer. I have looked all over the internet, even tried to find alternate names it might be sold under etc... no such luck. Good job!