Bushnell Equinox

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Someone was talking about a cheap night vision monocular by Bushnell. It's called the Equinox Z, I looked into it and for under 200.00 bought one to play with. Used it in my yard to watch cats and other critters running around and took it to my friends lease this weekend. I have to say that it is quite impressive forn the $, has a built in IR with variable settings for brightness etc...
I bought the 3x30 model. It does adjust from 1x to 3x but I have left in on 1x for best clarity. It's biggest limit is how far the IR will light. 80 yds some times, but here is the strange thing. I was in a blind and couldn't see all the way to the feeder, was just too far. I figured I would put the plexi window down to see if it will see through plexi. I put it right up against the plexiglass and looked....I could see all the way to the feeder and see a bunny under it eating corn. I could only see half way there but through the window I could see all the way there and pretty well....strange. I don't get it.

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought the Equinox Z (4.5X model) and it does what I wanted it to. No problem seeing and identifying rabbits/coons at 100 yds with the built in IR. Has digital zoom to 3X (so 4.5 - 13.5X) which does get grainier the higher the zoom goes as you would expect. Manual focus. Daytime color, night is black & white. Takes still pics and videos also. Don't have plexiglass windows, so I don't know whats up with that. Works well to compliment the Photon X.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
The 3x sounds more and more interesting ... especially if it is 1-3x ... I would generally want to use 1x ... but might want to go to 3x on occasion to be sure what I think I'm seeing.
The 4.5x or 6x sounds like to much magnification ... to little FOV ...

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the 3x and I used it again last weekend out of a raised blind and watched the critters at 100 yds under the feeder. I could actually see out to 200 yds and see deer with no problem. The biggest issue is it is too bright....you have to turn down the ir light and adjust it and it remembers your last setting too. Still, for 200.00 it rocks.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought the Equinox Z (4.5X model) and it does what I wanted it to. No problem seeing and identifying rabbits/coons at 100 yds with the built in IR. Has digital zoom to 3X (so 4.5 - 13.5X) which does get grainier the higher the zoom goes as you would expect. Manual focus. Daytime color, night is black & white. Takes still pics and videos also. Don't have plexiglass windows, so I don't know whats up with that. Works well to compliment the Photon X.
How do you take pics and videos?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well that's messed up, lol...I have the Equinox Z but it does not have that option built in. Only has a place to plug in a cable.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, so I went back and looked at all the models. The 3x30 which is what I have does not have that 4th button on top for record. I checked all the main sources and looked at the pics. Just a heads up for anyone interested.

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well that's messed up, lol...I have the Equinox Z but it does not have that option built in. Only has a place to plug in a cable.
I thought I had screwed up after I ordered mine and saw an Equinox in the Natchez catalog for a little over $110, but the catalog description didn't mention anything about the photo/video capability or the digital zoom. Really pleased with what I got. I have also rigged up a window mount tripod to mount it for video, and a backup camera monitor for viewing instead of going night blind in one eye for a while.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The original Equinox (not Z model)was used more upright and had a small ir light. They are super cheap now, right around 100.00

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Ok, so, I am looking hard at these Bushy Equinox Z thingies - for wife and neighbor - I might add one of the t-10 or t-12 on the rail for some thermal detection ... but my question relates to RsD comment that limit is the ir-illuminator ... and I buy that. So what if you try it with a more power ir-illuminator like a T-20?
I'd be willing to send you a T-20 to try if you don't want to buy one. I paid $75 a piece for my pair ... but they are selling on Amazon for $50 or so these days ... I am jealous!!! :D
You could lash the t-20 down on the rail (I have rail mounts on my t-20s). They cost an extra $15 on Amazon. But it would be possible to mount a t-20 on the rail of the equinox. And it might be worth it if that would dramatically extend the distance it can see in many conditions.

http://smile.amazon.com/Evolva-Futu...448672869&sr=1-1&keywords=t-20+ir-illuminator

Now in general I like the 3x due to maximum FOV ... I don't much care about the video capability ... but I would prefer it just in case ...

I have now realized the 1-3x for the 3x Equinox Z is digital zoom ... the optical magnification is 3x fixed.

The FOV and stated distance for the units is

unit - FOV - detection distance
3x30mm - 9 meters/1000yds - 200 meters
4.5x40mm - 8 meteres/1000yds - 225 meters
6xx50mm - 6 meters/1000yds - 300 meters

I am guessing the ar mount would work for all three units ... not sure this matters much, but it might for the neighbor (not for the wife).

But the big question is will the T-20 extend the viewing distance? I'm guessing it will. My gen3a tube can easily see 600yds with some moon ... and my gen1 non-digital can see terrain at 300-500yds though not much detail with a good moon ... of course my MKIEB can too :D.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe the T20 would further your sight distance. On the ground looking straight out through empty space the visibility was quite limited I assume there wasn't anything for the light to reflect off of. From the elevated deer blind I could see 100 yds quite well and out to 200 yds but with less clarity on the various subjects. Is the sight distance limited to the ir or the unit itself...I think it is the ir light that limits it. I almost never zoom out past 1x or 3x whichever it really is because it does get grainy pretty quick.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also I got my 3x30 at Sailsmarine.com for 189.00 plus shipping was 205.00

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Got 4.5x unit with weapon mount for $257 from amazon ... 4.5x because the FOV is 8 meters/1000yds versus 3x 9 meters/1000yds, so not much sacrifice of FOV from 30mm to 40mm. Stated distance for 30mm being 200 meters and for 40mm being 225 meters. The 6x50mmhad 300 meters stated distance, but FOV drops to 6 meters/1000yds.
And the 4.5x has the "4th button".
Same unit was $358 at Optics Planet.
I'm seeing huge discrepancy in prices over this weekend as some vendors are heavily discounting due to the holidays and others are not. So check your items at several places before you buy this weekend!

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use the evola t-20 with a Photon, but the built-in IR on the Equinox Z works well for me. I don't have any shots much past 100 yds anyway.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Received 4.5 unit today, I've played with it for about 5m.

First impressions:
01 - While I can memorize the polarities of the batteries going in to the compartment. Figuring out how to put the cap on with correct polarity will simply be hit and miss with 50/50 chance. But I can get used to that.
02 - I can read a book titles on the shelf from across the room, whether in a dark closet or the living room.
03 - The weapons mount seems to fit on a rifle and the BEZ seems to fit on the weapons mount.

Can't wait for dark to try it outside! I'll try to remember to bring a t-20.

if they have finally made a sub-$1000 NV unit that is useful I will be impressed!!

I've tried yukon gen1 goggles and my mkIeb are better.
I've tried the ATN X-sites back in January and my mkIeb are better.

But the BEZ might change the equation. More to come.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
So the weapons mount works fine, but I can't figure out how to turn on the reticle!

(I wonder if my model doesn't have a button for that! :D )

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Finally got to roll out tonight on pony (4-wheeler) to test EQZ. Rolled up to the top of Signal Hill. Pond is 300yds to the ENE. At 4.5x with internal IR Illum I could see the pond and vegetation around it just fine. This was on I2. On i1 I could see tree line to NNW just fine at 150yds.
I had attached t-20 to the rail mount on the EQZ. With t-20 turned on I then zoomed in to the max and focused and focused and then I could see one of my steel targets in hidden in the vegetation on the pond bank. This was at 300 meters. I could see tree lines at 500yds. So the t-20 definitely extends the distance for the EQZ 4.5