ATN X-Sight

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
certainly faster than this old guy can keep up with that is for sure.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
ok, so I've tried Turnigy LSD, Duracell and Eveready AA rechargeable batteries, all seem to die after a short period of time. I was reluctant at first to post it over on THF until I had checked it further and other people started the same thing. Then I was reading on the UK forum across the pond and found this where they guy did a thorough test, here is his information:

"
On a different point completely, I have done some measurements of the the power required to run the X sight and the voltages at which the low battery warning comes on and eventually switches itself off
With the Wi Fi and GPS switched off the sight draws approx 1.8 watts of power and with the Wi Fi and GPS switched on it's approx 2 watts - so not that much difference.
There's no discernible difference in power drain in day or night mode , nor in image capture or recording mode
With 1.5 volt alkaline batteries, the current drawn is approx 600ma which is quite high for even good quality alkalines to sustain
With 1.2 volt rechargables, the current drawn is 750ma which is well within the comfort zone of any decent rechargeable
The battery set up is 2 in series and those 2 in parallell with another 2 in series (2S 2P)
That means the sight is working with a nominal voltage of between 2.4-3 volts depending on which type of battery is being used
The low battery warning symbol comes on when the battery voltage drops to 2.6 volts (1.3 volts per cell) - which means that with rechargables, the low battery indicator will appear very soon after switch on - even with a fully charged set of batteries.
Auto switch off because of low battery voltage happens when the battery voltage reaches 2 volts (1 volt per cell)
Because of their much flatter discharge curve, rechargables should be able to keep their voltage above 1 volt for a lot longer than alkalines

I was looking at reviews of different rechargable batteries and chargers and as some forum members have already discovered the Duracell duralok 2400mah appear to have real capacities pretty close to the stated value and the charger safely putting the most charge into rechargable batteries appears to be the Nitecore D4".\

So I guess I'm going to run down to the store and pickup some Duracell Ultimate AA lithium batteries and give them a try. Have to last longer than the 10-15 minutes my current rechargeables are lasting, even though they are nearly at full charge.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am getting about 60 min of on time 9 min recording for standard energizer alkaline. When the low batt comes on during recording I power the scope off and my recording is still intact. I have some energizer lithium I am goig to try. Not sighted in yet but am going to take to the field today and play with in the blind

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am getting about 60 min of on time 9 min recording for standard energizer alkaline. When the low batt comes on during recording I power the scope off and my recording is still intact. I have some energizer lithium I am goig to try. Not sighted in yet but am going to take to the field today and play with in the blind

Is there a connection to allow an external power source. If you are just sitting on your butt in a blind an external power source seems like it would be an option.

Smitty

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Is there a connection to allow an external power source. If you are just sitting on your butt in a blind an external power source seems like it would be an option.

Smitty

not yet, I think for the Thor there was a replacement battery cover with module or something, but considering the thor uses the same Binder connector as my Zeus, I wire in through that connector as well as video out, but the X-Sight doesn't have a port like that

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM

Interestingly, ATN recently posted that they did extensive battery testing and that Lithiums would get 12 hours and Alkalines and rechargeables would get 4+ hours...ummm NOT

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not put a fresh set of batteries in it and let it set till it dies so cannot tell you. I did video some today at the lease and tried to sight in...the sight in failed so have to do that again. The duracell alkaline powered it on for 2 min and then I shot and nothing. Put the rayovac it and it did the same thing after the first shot, but did not do it again and came right back on. I will post the videos tomorrow after I process.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I bought some Energizer Lithium Ultimates today, at $2 each hope they make it for at least half what they say

Last edited:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow, what a cluster

feel so bad for you guys

so glad I unchecked the two that I had in the cart.

whew

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the new 3x w the focal ring will be fine. I am going to sell this one and already have a 3x on order. Now that I have this one working and figured out it is good to go. I just want the smaller unit as I never target w night vision more than 100yds.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK went to the lease and filmed some, the night time was a mess so this is day. Duracell will not run the scope, dimensions were off I think.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
1/2 way through I adjusted it...not nearly as obvious in person as it is on video

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
still looks out, notice the edges of the feeder legs how they blur out, haven't noticed that on mine, imagine they are all like that, but usually when out of focus, but don't know, haven't messed with mine enough

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well you have to pic out a point to focus on and then everything closer of further away is not focused is what I am seeing. Also the focus ring is very stiff and cumbersome to adjust while filming.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
yea mine is stiff, and with my weak arms cant point and focus at the same time, you wearing glasses?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL...no, no glasses when I am scoping but I need them for reading and should when driving for distance, maybe that is it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have noticed when you have the focus set for daytime and switch to night it is way off, not even close.