ATN X-Sight

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I still have the 5x but have not played with it much. Put it on my suppressed .22lr make some daytime small game videos with it. Was going to do a review but there has been plenty done now no need to beat a dead horse. Still say it's probably worth the $600 as a entry level scope it's better than throwing away money on gen1. I do not know why but people are emotionally charged when you talk about this scope drama follows.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The drama is all ATN, trust me here, they promised it in 3 mos after SHOT 2014, lied for another 6mos, then released a non working scope. The people who bought them are paying for the right to be a beta tester and here it is a year later and the scope still does not work as it is promised to be. This about like buying a new F-150 Ford truck and it not working for a year, would you still have it? I think what gets me going are the ATN lies and the atn fan boys/shills trying to get something free from them and continuing to lie for them and suckering in new victims.

Will it ever work? maybe
Will it be a good beginners scope when working? yes for the price
Should you buy one before it is working? NO
ATN should give out 100 of them to fan boys for testing, when it is right then release to the general public, no one should buy a non working piece of equipment. Fair Warning, Buyer Beware!

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, how ATN has handled this fiasco really reflects on who they are as a company and the role they have in supporting their customers. They are continuing to manufacture, sell, and ship scopes that don't work as advertised and do this knowingly. That's just plain WRONG.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Out of curiosity I sent ATN an e-mail and below is what was returned to me. I asked about the 3X. BANG BANG!!

"The X-Sight is about to have a very good update that should cure most of what the issues have been.

The update is done and in the final testing phase and should be released in the next week or so."

This response was 3/4/2015 by the way!!!

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, how ATN has handled this fiasco really reflects on who they are as a company and the role they have in supporting their customers. They are continuing to manufacture, sell, and ship scopes that don't work as advertised and do this knowingly. That's just plain WRONG.

Exactly the point Brian, well said!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Seems to me that the biggest(by far)group of fan-boys is on this forum right here. 565 posts and still going strong. Yeah .... I know that it has gotta be tough to hear. But --->

It could have been good. It was discovered to be an extreme POS fairly early on. Yet people kept their fingers crossed. Wishin and hopin' for some kind of "magic" to happen. How long does it take before you realize that you have paid good money to stand there and get kicked in the nuts ??

Updates ....... upgrades ........ software ...... firmware ...... just send it back and we'll fix it ..... NOW we just might have to install a focus ring. DAMN guys,if you haven't already,send 'em back,get your money back,move on with your lives. Let it go/let 'em go.

Am I making any sense ?? --- pruhdlr

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am glad Mr. Edison did not take your advise.

We would still be without electricity

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I don't think it is a POS, I think once they get the bugs fixed it will be an extremely viable option for those that don't have enough money to buy something better and gives the shooter that is mostly a day time hunter something that they can use at night, just not comparable to Gen 3 or thermal.

As for ATN, well we know how that goes. If you held your breath you would have passed out a thousand times already. All that being said, will still be better than anything in its price range what it was intended for and most things a lot more expensive. Hopefully ATN using the SDK will get changes quicker since the transition. But can never believe anything they say. I stopped holding my breath, when the 3x comes in Friday, will get mounted on my air rifle to try to take a hog at 35 yards or less. Will work for that, hopefully.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have the X-Sight working with external power.

Any power supply with a regulated output should work. I picked up a 4000mah battery bank used for phones from Walmart. It is compact, fairly light. I can also use my twin 18650 battery pack that I use for the Zeus. Both have USB outputs.

The connection on the X-Sight is the micro USB connector that is closest to the battery cover/center of the scope. Depending on how the battery pack works, there can be different scenarios when powering the X-Sight with the pack. If you have the battery pack on when powering on the scope, there will be a menu that comes on to switch to the external USB power. If you power on the scope without the pack turned on and then turn on the pack, the same menu will come up to flip to external power.

You also need to have rechargeable batteries installed in the X-Sight from my testing. The external battery pack I believe also charges the internal batteries. I need to dig up my 1' black cables so I can get mounted and have an idea for a rubber cover that will seal the port area.

159768363.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the same external battery unit. Bought it at Walmart as well... to charge my mini quad copter's battery via USB. Nice little unit. Thought... get an inner tube for a bicycle, cut a "band" from it to wrap around your device, puncture a hole just big enough to poke the micro USB connector through... yet small enough for it to close back up around the cord. If need be, a dab of silicone to ensure no moisture seeps in?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not a bad idea, thanks.
I may also assist in keeping the cord plugged in too. Too bad they don't have connectors that plug in from the side, allowing for less of it to stick out to get knocked around... like they offer with some of the newer designed 110V outlet plugs. That'd sure make for a nice upgraded feature.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea I measured the hole, it is ~24mm, a 7/8" plug will probably be close, depending what it is. I'm not really worried about it being waterproof, but rather dustproof.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Version 288 was released a couple days ago. Some significant changes that make the scope finally useful to me.

The audio is now present in the video recordings. The nighttime quality is now better as it was way back in version 228. They appeared to fix most of the dimming issues, I didn't see any, but others in Texas Hunting Forum reported that there was a dimming for a short time coming out of recording mode, which is fine by me.

There is still a flickering in low light amplification, I've been using medium. I do like low better because you need an IR Illuminator anyways at night and the image is quicker in the sense of hertz, for a better word.

To me the scope is now usable. Sure you could use it before, but not without certain functions in my opinion. I have the 3x, which should work well for hog hunting.

If course you get what you pay for, for the $525 I paid, it is an entry level day/night scope. Day is really good, the nighttime is usable, but limited at best. A good IR Illuminator is mandatory.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good to hear it's finally starting to work as a useable night scope. Thanks for the updated about the update

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ATN apparently released the firmware, then pulled it from their site a couple of days later. All this according to the thread on THF. If you didn't get the download and want it there is a link there to King Louie's page that has it on the 2nd page of the thread about the 288 firmware. This is really becoming quite mysterious and frustrating, can't wait to hear why they would release the firmware and then pull it????? Apparently it does address the auto dimming and sound issues for some people, for others maybe not so much??? I g