18650 Batteries

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some of mine have that disorientating rapid flashing light, it will blind you!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK, I am charging but the thing only measures 1000Mah, if I had known that I would not have gotten it..OR I cannot read instructions?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That's all it does Frank, and you don't really want more than that.

I've read a bunch of articles about charging batteries, namely AA'S, they talk about the max being 1C, which is 1x capacity. But, I've read in the Panasonic website about charging their 18650's to only charge at 500mah. Since the Panasonic's are Japanese cells, that's what I'm sticking with. If i need to go quicker, 1000mah will be fine.

I picked up some of the new Panasonic batteries, 3100's and 3400's, and they both make or exceed their capacity. These are the ones that hard_ware listed, the 3100's and I also got 6 more is the 3400's that they now make.

Going to be nice running with these.

Have you checked capacity on your batteries Frank?

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I run 3 and 5000 MaH batteries, no way on this machine to give the real reading but it does charge them to 100% so it is charging higher than it is reading. what meter do I buy to read the capacity in Mah?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
there is a way to read capacity, discharge them and see what mah they get, then charge them and see what they get, can also do a refresh, which will take awhile going through cycles of discharging and recharging....my 3100 does this, I'm assuming the 3400 analyzer you picked up does the same thing

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah but the machine only reads to 2000mah in 2 slots, or so the instructions say.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
mine reads max capacity in all slots, try it, see what you get, are you sure that it isn't charges at 2000 in two slots?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I read the instructions and have played with it, reads nothing over 2000, after reading on the internet there is not a meter to read Mah, there are math formulas you can guesstimate. My thought is the Chinese are slapping 5000 MaH on a battery and knowing they are not. All I know is the 3K and 5K MaH batteries I have run a lot longer than the 2400 I started with, how much longer? I don't have the hours to check and worry about that, I just carry spares.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I was just reading the manual Frank, you can charge 2000mah in slots 1 and 4, only 1000mah in 2 and 3, but will display capacity in all slots....

so, put in your batteries, I like to unplug the power cord, put in all batteries, plug in cord, then hit the mode button until it reads discharge....discharge your batteries, will tell how much was in each battery at current charge, then unplug again when it says its down, run a charge on them, then use the display button to see what mah they are at when full/done

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I read the instructions and have played with it, reads nothing over 2000, after reading on the internet there is not a meter to read Mah, there are math formulas you can guesstimate. My thought is the Chinese are slapping 5000 MaH on a battery and knowing they are not. All I know is the 3K and 5K MaH batteries I have run a lot longer than the 2400 I started with, how much longer? I don't have the hours to check and worry about that, I just carry spares.

it does read it Frank, do as I said above...

I'll even show you, i'll take some batteries, discharge them and show capacity they were at, then I charge them full and show that capacity, will post pics later today

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK, Thanks, it just takes hours to do, I am a busy retired person...LOL

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
haha, well me too, but set it and forget it, well forget it til later....try it, I want to know how your batteries do, think you may be surprised...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well one thing I know like lumen output, the MaH advertised ratings are NOT what they say they are. Just how far off they are is the question, can you believe the Chinese lie?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Uh, Frank, have you noticed what the American politicians, American car companies, American chemical companies, American drug companies, American drilling companies, the CDC, etc. have been doing? How about ATN? Remington? For years, Surefire claimed that its 100 lumen flashlight was a type of weapon because it was so bright.

The Chinese do not have a monopoly on misrepresentation and lying.

One thing I do know is that while many people can test battery performance, few people have the tools to actually and accurately test light performance, especially lumens.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes Sir, the Chinese clone our technologies, obviously they have learns how to Lie like us too!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I like the AW brand, although I think the 3400s may be a little too long for my olite M1X with battery extender. The positive terminal is getting indented. Probably just shorten the spring or something like that? 3100s fit fine. And 3400 singles in other flashlights fit fine

It may have just been a combination of bad charger but I initially was using the ultra fire battery and the ultra fire charger and I was not able to recharge these batteries more than about two or three times and most of the time they wouldn't even fully charge. Was very frustrating.

I am now using the Pila charger with the AW battery and have multiple recharge cycles on them and I am very happy with the set up.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
yea the Chinese just lie more, lumens, capacity, function, etc.

there is no way to put a battery in anything and read the capacity instantly, that's why you need to discharge a fully charged battery to read capacity, or charge a fully discharged battery to read capacity

one of the tests to see how my LSD (Low Self-Discharge) batteries to see how they hold charge over time is charge up several of them, then let them sit and discharge one after a month to see how much charge it had remaining, then maybe another the next month or several months later....

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I like the AW brand, although I think the 3400s may be a little too long for my olite M1X with battery extender. The positive terminal is getting indented. Probably just shorten the spring or something like that? 3100s fit fine. And 3400 singles in other flashlights fit fine

It may have just been a combination of bad charger but I initially was using the ultra fire battery and the ultra fire charger and I was not able to recharge these batteries more than about two or three times and most of the time they wouldn't even fully charge. Was very frustrating.

I am now using the Pila charger with the AW battery and have multiple recharge cycles on them and I am very happy with the set up.

if you saw my post earlier in this thread, my Ultrafires are junk, the 2600, 3000 and 5000 mah batteries all get the same, about 1000mah or less....

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
discharging the charged 3100 batteries I got 3074 and 3095, damn close, on charge now to see if they go any higher