Hunting Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, I wondered about that. I can't tell if the cattle are actually protecting the hogs, or if the cattle are doing their normal routine and the hogs have just placed themselves accordingly in the group. This herd has calves and so they are going to be somewhat vigilant about the calves. I wonder if the hogs are seen as being like calves to the cows? I don't know, but they do seem to get along very well together.

On this particular property, I look for the cattle first and then look to see if the hogs are with them. Either the hogs are amongst the cattle or very close by when I have seen them.
Could it be as simple as familiarity with one another? Neither are a threat to the other and there is some kind of symbiosis there. The cattle indirectly provide food and cover for the hogs and the hogs warn the cattle of threats> Just thinkin

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Easy on the words like symbiosis, hurt my head. Hey, diesel fuel is organic. I think. Maybe. ish

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
True. Actually there is nothing that is that didn't come from the earth, so everything is organic. Although, I prefer not to eat cow poop or diesel. I thank you God for giving us choices. lol

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All I can say about this is I've seen cattle charge over to me when hogs were present. The same heard just looks at me when hogs aren't present.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First time I used a decoy was on an antelope hunt in Montana, maybe 25 yrs ago, set the thing up and got my bow ready and this speed goat comes flyin up to me about 15' away. I was so flustered I didn't know what to do. Then he turned and ran off, left me going what the....

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This sounds like a good story for the general hunting section!!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got side tracked

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He Got Away....Twice

I checked zero not 2 hours before this shot was taken. Somewhere along the way, I failed to connect appropriately. Then I lost out on the second shot because the safety was still engaged and the hog bolted when the safety snicked off. You can see the movement in the video.

The hog appears to be impacted by the shot. I heard it. The landowner heard it. The hog apparently felt is an you can see it whole body orientation change with the shot. No blood was found, but he dumped a load of urine in a line from left to right under the feeder about 4 feet long.

Searched immediately and then about 2 hours after that and the rains then moved in and ended the search.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another missed shot last night, maybe an OMEN? Looked good to me, buzzards today?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Geez Frank, it looked good to me too, but then he looked awfully alive and well in the high grass there. He was down initially and I saw him get up on thermal, but could not see him on NV to do anything about it.

Yards from where he was standing is the roughest part of the property with really bad gulleys and washes. Maybe when the rains stop, the landowner will get over there. I am home bound for a few days.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked good to me too, I bet he is there but you are right, looked OK when he came back, hit the leg of the feeder?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The landowner often hunts from his front porch when I hunt. He even called and asked if he needed to bring the cart. He had heard the hit as well. Who knows? Thick vegetation and rough terrain...

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Michelle shot one saturday that we never found. We were hunting a river bed and were 20-30 higher than the hog. the hog came to the call, stopped quartering towards us. Michelle made a high lung shot that should have exited low gut. With a 7mm Mag. played the video back in slow mo and you can see smoke coming out of the entry hole. followed the tracks in the sand for 60 yards. Never found blood and never found the hog. It was there, I could smell it. Needed our bloodtrail dog just too far from home to go get her. I hate hunting salt cedars too hard to see through.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This taking of head shots is really messing y'all up.

Interesting observation and maybe not too far off, but at the same time, it is where I prefer to shoot hogs if possible (CNS in general). Vitals shots are the alternative shot for me. Vitals shots usually result in animals running for me. Unlike some of your deals, I don't seem to get the opportunity to shoot a hog 3-5 times to break-it-down as it runs. A search, regardless of the shot, usually means the animal is less accessible than where you were shooting it originally and means more time, often much more time searching for it. For a person who solos most of the time, such endeavors are not desirable. As Glenn noted, such searches even for teams can be tough as well. Vitals are good, don't get me wrong, but it is a balancing act between numerous parameters. You make the call at the time of your shot and determine what you think you can make and what the consequences will be given the potential results and pull the trigger, and maybe you can pull it several times before the hog disappears.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you aim for the center neck and you hit 90% of the time the neck snaps. If you hit left or right you get a shoulder shot or head shot.

I would say a very high 95% + of my first shot hogs are DRT. Now when the others start running I have to plug some of them more than once. But those are rear end shots or anywhere on the hog just to slow it down shots.
I personally don't recommend head shots unless you are close enough to be confident for a between the eyes or ear shot.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The one I lost the other night was a big boar running quartering away at less than 20 yds, instinct took over and as soon as I was able to get him clear in the scope, found the chest and shot. I believe I took out 1 lung and the far right front leg with a 45-70.
After plowing dirt and screaming he made it more than 80 yds into the jungle brush. I went in after him and could hear him breathing labored and liquidy. Should have left him to die but I have read too many "Capstick" books like "Death in the Long Grass" and love the adventure. Pushed him around a bit in there, never found him. Went back today to get skull pictures, nothing. Amazing animals. The American Water Buffalo. 325 grains at 20 yds and no recovery, that's just wrong. I will throw in a picture of the Giant ragweed I hunt, have to cut trails with a machete and visibility is a couple feet at best.IMG_0001.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.