Drones, not just for .gov surveillance anymore

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Made the leap... ordered this bad boy, and a little better radio for it. Spare battery, spare props, etc. Ended up being cheaper than building one from scratch.

Some things I learned along the way. Hobby King is a MAJOR PITA to deal with. Virtually NO customer support unless you have an order number. Have questions before buying, you can't get any help. And, the real time chat? Philippines. Then, while you're desperately trying to get some help, your shopping cart times out and dumps... including the "one time offer/buy it now" discount. The clincher for me was that they wanted to hose me $200 in shipping on top of an order for a quad copter and a fixed wing plane kit.

Horizon Hobby (on the other hand) appears to have English speaking (at least capable of writing in clear English) real time chat help... that are capable of answering the questions. They offered free shipping for anything over $99 too.

Will probably buy one of those little cheap ones too when I'm in Anchorage next. Something to learn on while at work. It's gonna be more than a month before I get home to tinker with the spendy one.

The reason I bought this particular "BNF" unit is because I also opted for an upgraded transmitter than what the "RTF" kit comes with. I can store to memory about 10 different planes/copters and have just the one radio to fly them with.

Will get me a trainer fixed wing to tinker with, and then I'll get a fixed wing that'll accept the Go Pro too. Fixed wing kits can be had for a LOT less money... especially when you already have the upgraded radio. I can add a plane for less than $200 later. Just need one with the radio receiver of a like brand so that it'll talk to my existing transmitter.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product...7--1/350-qx3-bnf-with-safe-technology-blh8180

BLH8180_b0

Went with this transmitter radio...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/dx6i-6-...ter-spmr6630?clickpath=radios_espot1_03052015

SPMR6630_a0

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
very nice RD, well done

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That ought to keep the boredom away at work for a few days.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RD, is your name Paul?
Looks like a nice unit. I ordered my starter drone last week and it took them 72 seconds to accept my money and so far all I have received was an extra battery. lol So I just toss the battery up in the air and catch it. It's great fun.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
put a laser on it

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That ought to keep the boredom away at work for a few days.

Actually, no. This is waiting for me to GET home. At least a month down the road.

RD, is your name Paul?
Looks like a nice unit. I ordered my starter drone last week and it took them 72 seconds to accept my money and so far all I have received was an extra battery. lol So I just toss the battery up in the air and catch it. It's great fun.

No, I answer to Charles. Who did you order from?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you on a month shift this time RD?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually, no. This is waiting for me to GET home. At least a month down the road.

No, I answer to Charles. Who did you order from?
I ordered from Amazon. Apparently 3 different places ship. 1 for the unit, 1 for xtra battery and 1 for extra props which should be here in April I guess.
The link you sent to that drone said "hello, Paul"

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you on a month shift this time RD?
Odd schedule right now... more like 5 weeks on, 2 off... 5 weeks on, 4 days off...who knows how many weeks on...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow that is an odd schedule, short handed? How is your weather, heard it had been warm in some areas

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We've had long COLD snaps, record setting blizzards, and then warm/calm.... like today. -3F 7mph and -16F wind chill factor. Yes, this is considered "warm". The ice road is SLICK about now too.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RD, what are you doing there? Military or working?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh yeah... I got the optional Camo Kit for the body of the copter too.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
a balmy -3, go figure, in FL: that would be called an ICE AGE...LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Working an ice road project for an oil company doing some exploration drilling this winter.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They have oil in Texas you know.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah but no bears to protect the crew from...lol

Last edited:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Speaking of bears. A few months back, one of the companies had a camp burn to the ground (no one hurt). Well... in prep for clean-up/rebuilding, a polar bear denned up near the landfill (70 miles away, in town). They had to shut down the landfill until the bear vacated the den (a couple of weeks ago). Crazy stuff up here in the arctic.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good grief, that is crazy, so all the trash that went there had to sit in place for the bear to move on its own...

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No, trucks hauled trash down the haul road to Fairbanks (about 600 miles).