Drones, not just for .gov surveillance anymore

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just ordered that one on your earlier advice, from Amazon with extra battery and extra blades for like 70.00. Cheap enough to play and see how it goes.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Help !!! I'm lost in a world of quad copter Youtubes !!!!!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Mike, great advice and help

I'm happy to drag more folks into this hobby, but I understand that most aren't inclined to become as obsessed as I have become. Sorry I was told I'm supposed to say "passionate" and let others say obsessed..... lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
so w the ladybird you are just going to learn to fly by watching it and keeping it in sight, then get a bigger on w a camera and a fly by screen later?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Help !!! I'm lost in a world of quad copter Youtubes !!!!!
Yea RD those are rabbit trails...take you far away from where you started. haha

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
so w the ladybird you are just going to learn to fly by watching it and keeping it in sight, then get a bigger on w a camera and a fly by screen later?
That's what I am going to do. I am not confident I will be good at controlling those things. Give me a rifle and a running target, I'm in. Can't tell you why. But I have tried RC cars before and struggled with them.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter

That's the idea. For example, as you tilt to move forward more throttle must be given because the props are no longer giving as much lift. Flying FPV is much much easier IMO than flying by watching the the quad in front of you. You don't get turned around, forward is always forward, right is always right.... etc.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea RD those are rabbit trails...take you far away from where you started. haha
That.... is a dangerous game to play. You can follow those rabbit holes forever....

Well... that's just kinda "me". Something piques my interest and I start digging around to see what I can learn. That way, when I start asking questions, I'm NOT "that guy" who says "What's the best RC copter?", but try to have a little knowledge I'm sorting through beforehand. LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Found this build interesting.

[video]

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those plastic frames often slip my mind. They're good beginner frames to get something in the air, but they do flex more than I'm used to having built with carbon fiber.

However those kinds of build videos are fantastic at showing you how to wire it up and get it flying!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... I'm not looking to set speed records, or melt things with G-forces... just a good starting point for a Go Pro platform. This one's caught my eye too.

http://www.anchoragehouseofhobbies.com/index.php?id_product=11763&controller=product

12405-large_default.jpg

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Price is sure right. Keep in mind that you'll still need a transmitter as well.

When a lot of those kinds of quads were first coming out, they suffered from some pretty heavy jello in the videos from vibration. I'm unsure if that's been remedied, but it can be figured out once you have it in hand.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow you guys are going in deep from the beginning. I think flying lessons on a cheap one may save the first gopro bird the danger of getting destroyed before the camera ever gets mounted.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just saw an ad on craigslist, a guy was looking for his drone. Said he took flight from his place in Austin with his new drone and a new GoPro and it just kept going and never came back. haha That would not be good.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That kind of thing happens a lot. 99% of the time it's user error.

The returned home and position hold settings that units that use GPS allow work well. However if they are not set up correctly then return to China is just as likely as return where you want it to return to.

That's why I always recommend a cheap little ones like the ladybird for people to learn to fly and handle the controls before putting something larger in the air that can hurt them or fly away with more money.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I figured some kid playing with his RC car inadvertently hacked it and ended up with an extra toy in his yard.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Seriously doubtful as anything other than user error. The 2.4 control systems are pretty robust. I've seen 60 people flying at once without a hiccup in overlap.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That would have to be a sick feeling seeing $2000 fly away never to return