Zeus Firmware Update Comparison

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always using your kidneys, Brian! (While pointing to my head)....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine always works fine, never an issue, has all I need all the time! OH WAIT, I don't have one, no wonder it always works perfect!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dax, do us a video of you cycling through the reticles to the point where you return to the one you started with. That way we can see what all is going on.
I was hunting with Armasight this weekend the reticles should be there. They knew exactly what happened when I showed them this thread. They gave a great detailed explication but in simple terms they did not get loaded by the firmware intaller. Human error.

D

djones

got my zeus 640 3-24, 75 back from the upgrade. first thing i noticed is the boot up time is longer, more than 3 seconds. i used to be able to turn it on, flip off the lens cover and by the time i shouldered it, it was ready. now i shoulder it just in time to see the image right before it flickers and rolls, then displays a darker image with the crosshair and screen info.

second thing i noticed was the right half of the screen looks like it has vertical scratches on it and also appears darker. they go away when i nuk it, but that sure is a pain to do every time i turn it on. was wondering if some of you who have had this upgrade could share your results and settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
got my zeus 640 3-24, 75 back from the upgrade. first thing i noticed is the boot up time is longer, more than 3 seconds. i used to be able to turn it on, flip off the lens cover and by the time i shouldered it, it was ready. now i shoulder it just in time to see the image right before it flickers and rolls, then displays a darker image with the crosshair and screen info.

second thing i noticed was the right half of the screen looks like it has vertical scratches on it and also appears darker. they go away when i nuk it, but that sure is a pain to do every time i turn it on. was wondering if some of you who have had this upgrade could share your results and settings.

You should always nuc it a few times after starting to get the best image if you dont it will auto nuc and stabilise the image from what I understand its more sensitive now which is a good thing. For the startup time cant tell a difference. Normally start the units up well before I look through them, also nuc about three time right off the bat just a habit of mine.

D

djones

thanks very much. i'm sure i'll be used to the changes in no time. once nuked, the view is stunning. sometimes i don't fine focus if it's already 'good enough' to shoot :)

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You should always nuc it a few times after starting to get the best image if you dont it will auto nuc and stabilise the image from what I understand its more sensitive now which is a good thing. For the startup time cant tell a difference. Normally start the units up well before I look through them, also nuc about three time right off the bat just a habit of mine.
Yup, to me its almost like the scope has to "warm up" before its at its full potential.

D

djones

buddy just got the ir hunter mark 3 today. WOW!! lots of cool features (y'all probably already know that). interestingly... the start-up procedure says for best results it should be nuked up to 3 times in the first 5 minutes. it performs an automatic calibration on startup, and recommends leaving the cover on or looking at a wall or even your hand over the lens.

Last edited by a moderator:

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
buddy just got the ir hunter mark 3 today. WOW!! lots of cool features (y'all probably already know that). interestingly... the start-up procedure says for best results it should be nuked up to 3 times in the first 5 minutes. it performs an automatic calibration on startup, and recommends leaving the cover on or looking at a wall or even your hand over the lens.

35mm 2.5x mkiii or the 6omm 4x??

D

djones

60mm 4.5x. total badass scope. trying to find a dvr that records at 60hz. does one exist? planning to sight it in friday. woohoo!!

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pretty sure the UNV Mdvr from ultimate night vision does???

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
recommends leaving the cover on or looking at a wall or even your hand over the lens.

One of the major drawbacks to the IR defense in my opinion you have to cover the lens to nuc so totally lose sight picture. I have not used the MKIII but the MKII need to be nuced all the time it was annoying for me because Im used to the auto nuc and not having to cover the lens.

Also on the DVR part unless they changed the MKIII the video output is about half the resolution you see in the screen.

lilMAC

Brian Shaffer and I met up at the orchards for a little hunting and to compare notes. He has an Armasight zeus that has not been updated and I just got my identical scope back after having it updated. The attached video is not a perfect scientific sample to show the differences, but I highlights the fact that the firmware update really fixes the "washout" or "whiteout" issues many people were experiencing. The washout would make it hard to see the reticle and the surrounding environment. To me the update is well worth being without the scope for a bit. Between shipping and the update I was only without my scope for about 10 days. That is a pretty quick turnaround time.

The second half of the video I turned my zeus equipped rifle over to a friend to shoot. He doesn't hunt much and is unfortunately getting stationed in New Jersey. I felt it was only right to make sure he experienced shooting hogs with a thermal scope before he left Texas. After the hunt he said he has to get back to Texas as soon as he can!

I hope the video helps show what the update can do. I didn't play with the settings too much from what Armasight set them at after the update. I think the image will be a little better after I learn how to adjust the gain and autogain control speed during feature outings. Enjoy!

Is this the most recent firmware update? I’m wondering if I need to call and send mine in for an update...