Zeus Firmware Update Comparison

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Brian Shaffer and I met up at the orchards for a little hunting and to compare notes. He has an Armasight zeus that has not been updated and I just got my identical scope back after having it updated. The attached video is not a perfect scientific sample to show the differences, but I highlights the fact that the firmware update really fixes the "washout" or "whiteout" issues many people were experiencing. The washout would make it hard to see the reticle and the surrounding environment. To me the update is well worth being without the scope for a bit. Between shipping and the update I was only without my scope for about 10 days. That is a pretty quick turnaround time.

The second half of the video I turned my zeus equipped rifle over to a friend to shoot. He doesn't hunt much and is unfortunately getting stationed in New Jersey. I felt it was only right to make sure he experienced shooting hogs with a thermal scope before he left Texas. After the hunt he said he has to get back to Texas as soon as he can!

I hope the video helps show what the update can do. I didn't play with the settings too much from what Armasight set them at after the update. I think the image will be a little better after I learn how to adjust the gain and autogain control speed during feature outings. Enjoy!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very good (helpful) comparison video there Alex. Thank you for that. And... great job you guys. Big pile of dead hogs.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good killing guys. Alex, I guess I'm the jinx after all. Lol

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good killing guys. Alex, I guess I'm the jinx after all. Lol

Nah. You're not the jinx. The rivers were too high to cross the time you came. Everything is back to a normal level now and the hogs are traveling again.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is that stupid Chad going to Jersey?

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shipped mine last week...was ready to return it for good. See if this helps.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is that stupid Chad going to Jersey?

No. Stupid Chad will be in TX for a while longer and has his own thermal. Jordan is going to Jersey.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice pile of pork guys, they love that orchard!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way nice video!! That one had a heck of a shuffle going on there!! Way to go guys!!! BANG BANG!!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the video comparing the updated / standard 3x 75 Zeus scopes. Great to see the differences with the upgrade.
You guys killed a bunch of hogs - no doubt it took a lot of effort to get them together for the photo! Congrats all.

Dennis

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well someone asked for the comparison and you were kind enough to provide it, looks like if I had one I'd be boxing it up. Good job guys.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dennis, it was pretty neat. The hogs started off in that little group and we approached as far as a cross fence. We set up there as we were pretty close and didn't want to get busted going over the fence. Alex explained the safe directions of fire and potential hazards and then we started. There ended up being a lot more hogs than I realized. We ended up in the middle of a large oval of downed hogs with the farthest being well over 100 yards in one direction and close to that in the other direction, the hogs actually circling around us as we were firing. In the well-trimmed orchard, finding hogs was remarkably easy save for one of the distant hogs that ended up behind a pile of brush. A slow drive through the orchard found that one.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video ... good hogs down too!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"The update makes the scope look a lot better. I think you could have tried to mess with the focus a little more or maybe use these settings to improve upon the image quality you already have. I am able to make the scope look better by doing so." Its not the best representation of the scopes abilities.

But looked like a fun time

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked like if you had not warned the other shooter there would have been a shot horse too?? A bit too close for me.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looked like if you had not warned the other shooter there would have been a shot horse too?? A bit too close for me.

I think you're right frank. The horse's were close, but the shooter was the one warning everyone else and he did a good job preventing an accident. The shooter's voice sounds a lot like mine.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
"The update makes the scope look a lot better. I think you could have tried to mess with the focus a little more or maybe use these settings to improve upon the image quality you already have. I am able to make the scope look better by doing so." Its not the best representation of the scopes abilities.

But looked like a fun time

I agree TLM. The video could have turned out better and with a little practice I think the videos will continue to improve. Thanks for the tips.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Alex & Brian for taking the time to post this up. Mine is headed back to San Fran.

Btw nice job - shooting 10 in a night ain't easy. I'm amazed at how long you can continue shooting in the orchard and how many pigs there are. Seems like when I get on a sounder they are outta sight in 5 seconds, lol.