Who here is buying NV or thermal in the next 365 days?

DerekFSU

New guy here, thanks for all the info!

1. What will you be buying night vision, thermal, or both? Thermal

2. What will you be using the equipment for? Night hunting, mostly hogs

3. Do you have a specific unit in mind if so which one? Considering the Zeus Pro 640 4-32x100 in either 30Hz or 60Hz and/or the Apollo Pro 640 100mm in 30Hz or 60Hz.

STRUTTER

LSB Member
hello, new member here. Long time visitor but decided to bite the bullet and join! I'm going to need a spreadsheet to keep up with all my forum usernames and passwords!

I hunt hogs in the swamps of Alabama and I have found that my best option for the least cost is to have a thermal monocular and a PVS 14. I have a flir PS 24 that I use. It could be better, yes but for $1700 it works great. I pretty much ride around on ATV or Golf Cart scanning. My forearm does get a little tired, but I can cover more ground. This is the most important factor to me, more ground covered = more hog opportunities. The downfall is that at 400 plus yds, you can't identitfy between a deer and hog. I have learned with practice that I can tell by the body movement if it is worth a closer look. For a cheap option for killing hogs, a flir ps 24 and a green kill lite (I use wicked kill lights) mounted on your rifle will have you killings hogs in no time and it sure beats the old spotlight.
I have a PVS - 14 mounted behind my 3x9 scope using a night optics mount. It is a little long and heavy when you add a good ir illuminator and your eye is really close to the objective but with this setup I now can identify with no problem between a deer and hog at 500 plus yds. The down side is my PVS-14 is only rated for .223 or smaller. This really sucks as I would much rather use a .30 cal for hogs. Then again I'm into eradication so if I get some lead into them, it has been a success.
In the future I plan on getting a dedicated thermal rated for .30. I have been reading up on them awhile and there are so many options. Seems most have a video output which for my use is a waste so it's certainly not something I want to pay for.
Having used a few thermal scopes on hunts, I can saw the #1 advantage over NV is the ability to shoot running pigs.
A good example of occurred with me Oct 24th. I had came upon a group of about 20 sows/shoults/pocket pigs spread out in a string along a 100 yds in cut corn. I walked up and got setup waiting for two sows to line up for the first shot. After the first shot and the pigs scattered I was having a hard time getting on the others due to glow that was coming off the cutt knee high corn stalks from my IR illuminator. I managed to get 6, but I was disgusted with myself for not getting more. If I had a thermal scope, there would still be pigs flopping.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Strutter look into the 6.5 Grendel and or the 6.8 SPC both capable of long shots. Although 500yrds is stretching it (for most rifles) unless you are a heck of a shot and are set-up with some type of rest, both calibers mentioned will reach out there and touch things and make them very dead. :) Just an FYI your way?? BANG BANG!!

Jeff

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
300 Blackout Subsonics with Lehigh Defense 174 Controlled Fracturing bullets. Subsonic is OK with the PVS14 (research online, your mileage may vary). These bullets are pretty darn accurate in my Blackout with 10.5 grns of A1680. This is a Lehigh factory load as well.

Click Here --> .308 Controlled Fracturing 174gr Subsonic Bullet

Jeff

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
hello, new member here. Long time visitor but decided to bite the bullet and join! I'm going to need a spreadsheet to keep up with all my forum usernames and passwords!

I hunt hogs in the swamps of Alabama and I have found that my best option for the least cost is to have a thermal monocular and a PVS 14. I have a flir PS 24 that I use. It could be better, yes but for $1700 it works great. I pretty much ride around on ATV or Golf Cart scanning. My forearm does get a little tired, but I can cover more ground. This is the most important factor to me, more ground covered = more hog opportunities. The downfall is that at 400 plus yds, you can't identitfy between a deer and hog. I have learned with practice that I can tell by the body movement if it is worth a closer look. For a cheap option for killing hogs, a flir ps 24 and a green kill lite (I use wicked kill lights) mounted on your rifle will have you killings hogs in no time and it sure beats the old spotlight.
I have a PVS - 14 mounted behind my 3x9 scope using a night optics mount. It is a little long and heavy when you add a good ir illuminator and your eye is really close to the objective but with this setup I now can identify with no problem between a deer and hog at 500 plus yds. The down side is my PVS-14 is only rated for .223 or smaller. This really sucks as I would much rather use a .30 cal for hogs. Then again I'm into eradication so if I get some lead into them, it has been a success.
In the future I plan on getting a dedicated thermal rated for .30. I have been reading up on them awhile and there are so many options. Seems most have a video output which for my use is a waste so it's certainly not something I want to pay for.
Having used a few thermal scopes on hunts, I can saw the #1 advantage over NV is the ability to shoot running pigs.
A good example of occurred with me Oct 24th. I had came upon a group of about 20 sows/shoults/pocket pigs spread out in a string along a 100 yds in cut corn. I walked up and got setup waiting for two sows to line up for the first shot. After the first shot and the pigs scattered I was having a hard time getting on the others due to glow that was coming off the cutt knee high corn stalks from my IR illuminator. I managed to get 6, but I was disgusted with myself for not getting more. If I had a thermal scope, there would still be pigs flopping.
Welcome and now that you have made it here, you can give up all those other forums. You found the best bunch of guys here. Except for that Chopperdrvr guy.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Chopper is the best !!!

Drift

LSB Member
Strutter, I too use a PVS 14 mounted behind a day scope on the 6.5 Grendel. No problems with the PVS so far. And the Grendel can reach waaay out there-even if I cant. Not to disparage the 6.8 or Blackout-all 3 have about the same recoil and hit hogs a lot harder than the .223

JPK

LSB Active Member
Strutter,

Thermal sure is great, and I have two rifles set up with thermal sights (one for me one for my son or bud,) but you might find more success with a multi power lever, zoomable IR light and your PVS 14. I have found the way to limit IR light flashback from vegetation is to use as little power and as tight a zoom as you can.

Hope this helps.

JPK

STRUTTER

LSB Member
So I have been back and forth for about a month on the 6.5 grendel vs the 6.8 spc. I have read every possible article in existence and I'm still on the fence I have not shot either. I actually don't know if anyone who has one.
If you had choose one, which would it be? Anyone have both?

I have a Ziess 3x9x42 I plan on using.
Pretty much will be used 100% at night.

Below pretty much sums up what I have read:
6.5 Grendel:
Longer range
Less ammo options (I don't reload)
Need 20" barrel so with a can it's going to be long.
I will need another shorter can.

Less recoil (less likely of PV 14 damage)
More ammo options
Can run 18" barrel
Will need shorter can.

I pretty much just need a new can anyway. Can't have too many!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I have been back and forth for about a month on the 6.5 grendel vs the 6.8 spc. I have read every possible article in existence and I'm still on the fence I have not shot either. I actually don't know if anyone who has one.

6.5 Grendel:
Longer range

More ammo options
Can run 18" barrel
Will need shorter can.

Ballistically, the two rounds are closer in performance than many want to admit.

I went with the 6.8, no regrets. The 6.8 is very efficient with shorter barrels. Ammo selection is only getting better too.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.5 Grendel does not need a 20 inch barrel, just an FYI. I think I have said this earlier get both and then make up your own mind. I have both and like the Grendel better but that is just me. Both are nice rifles and have lots of ammo for both. Depending on how you set it up the recoil is the same. Both of mine have brakes and JP Silent capture springs and they do not move at all. Done thought you would have had one by now!!:) BANG BANG!!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

6.5 Grendel:
Longer range

More ammo options
Can run 18" barrel
Will need shorter can.

I do more stalking and like the shorter barrel so I opted for the 6.8. Depends on which PVS-14 you buy, pinnacle tubes are rated for 556 and lower. L3 is rated for .308 and lower.

STRUTTER

LSB Member
I do more stalking and like the shorter barrel so I opted for the 6.8. Depends on which PVS-14 you buy, pinnacle tubes are rated for 556 and lower. L3 is rated for .308 and lower.
I have a pinnacle so I'm trying to see based on recoil if I can run it on a 6.8 or 6.5. I have a 300 blackout that I'm a little worried about trying the PV-14 on. I run cans on all my guns as it increases my multiple kills by about 60%. I'm think this may reduce recoil enough to have no worries at all with either the 6.8 or 6.5.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My PVS-14 is rated for 6.8 and 7.62x39. I believe Ident has a PVS-14 rated for 308. I have used my PVs-14 on 6.8 SBR with zero issues great field rifle with suppressor and 9.25" barrel.still get around 2,300 ft per second with hand loads shooting 95gr TTSX. If you go thermal Zeus 3 is rated to 308

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went with the 6.8 for a couple reasons:

Everyone I hunt with already used 6.8
I like SBR's and went with a 12" barrel
I don't reload, so ammo choices were important.

PS. you can also find a reason to get a new can anyway ;)

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a pinnacle so I'm trying to see based on recoil if I can run it on a 6.8 or 6.5. I have a 300 blackout that I'm a little worried about trying the PV-14 on. I run cans on all my guns as it increases my multiple kills by about 60%. I'm think this may reduce recoil enough to have no worries at all with either the 6.8 or 6.5.

Oh yea .. I forgot about the can reducing the recoil.. pretty much cuts it in half

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh yea .. I forgot about the can reducing the recoil.. pretty much cuts it in half
Interesting it has not been my experience but I could have wrong can.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting it has not been my experience but I could have wrong can.

It probably depends on a number of things ... I wouldn't say exactly half but I've noticed quite a bit with my 6.8.

Last edited:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Was thinking there are two more options out there for you. The 308 and the Creedmoor too. Not to be a smart @&& but there are two forums out there they are the 6.5 Grendel forum and the 6.8SPC forum both will tell you this is the rifle to go with and both have many of those folks making SBRs and everything in between. You are going to have to make up your own mind and go from there. The two main bullets used MOST often are the 120 gr SST for the 6.8 and the 123 SST for the Grendel and both are easy to find and both whack a lot of stuff and make them very dead. There are others that show promise also but the 2 listed are the most common. Neither one of these calibers I would try to take anything out to 500 yrds with. I have whacked a turkey at 300 with a Grendel (with witnesses) and have shot targets out to 700 with the Grendel (18 inch barrel) but for hog and deer I personally would try to keep it to the max of 200 maybe just maybe a tad more but not much. Softer targets I would throw lead at anything else all day long and would not care how far they are out there. See, there is just another opinion. Go with your gut and if it don't work out there is someone out there that will buy it provided it is a O-K rifle then get a different one, trial and error to what fits you. Do not make it any harder than it already is. The rest is up to you. Good luck. BANG BANG!!