Who here is buying NV or thermal in the next 365 days?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Latest acquisition ... IR-Hunter Mk2 from ******** at TCT. This is 35mm, 2.45x, 640(60) unit. As it has no usable reticle (for my purposes) ... I have moved it over to 5.56(14.5) and moved the Pulsar Apex xd50A, 50mm, 2x, 384(50) over to the 5.56(18). The pulsar, originally intended to be the intermediate scope has now become the LR scope :D ... it has a usable mil reticle (with the PIP feature) and is recoil rated for .338LM. I have run it off my .300WM at 500yds. So now the Pulsar is the LR scope and the IR-Hunter is the intermediate scope. I find that ironic given the difference in price! :) The Odin can mount on rifle using MA/UNV mount and base. So it is an "in a pinch" short distance sight.

EUsenRlh.jpg

I sold the Zeus 75mm, 3x, 640(30) to fund the Pulsar and am selling the Q-14 to fund the Mk2. So I will wind up with 3 thermals. 1 spotter and 2 rifle scopes. If I got a 4th it would be another spotter, probably an HD19a.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
M'be even MORE often. (Ducking for cover) LOL

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can't hide money! You are the man. Wow when you are looking to upgrade and sell some pieces let me know.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Yeah, according to my spreadsheet, I've sold $18,175 worth of crap in the past 5 months and purchased $19,446 and still need to sell the Q-14 ... goal was to pair down and wind up with only the crap I really need while trying to produce at least a nominal cash surplus. Fortunately I had a lot of less useful and/or redundant gun related crap to sell, though that was pretty much a one off event, at least for a long while! And I still need to pay for one more suppressor before 41F takes effect. There's a chance I'll buy one more thermal, probably an HD19A, not sure yet. Need to sell the Q-14 first !

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I just bought my first PVS 14 and IR laser since I spend 90% of my time walking (4-8miles a trip) and calling.

My next buy will be a decicated NV rifle scope. More than likely a thermal that is fairly lightweight and doesn't need to be nuc'd constantly........Not sure what to buy yet!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
In my way of thinking there are three flavors of thermals:

01 - Dedicated Handheld spotters
02 - Dedicated rifle scopes
03 - Combo units

Items like the HD19A and EOTECH x320 would be examples of 01 ... they are only useful as handheld spotters. That's not to say handheld spotters are not useful. When stationary with a lanyard, you can quickly scan about and see critters and then release the spotter and shoulder the rifle and engage. And that might even be faster than flipping up a helmet mounted thermal.

Items like Zeus 75mm or Zeus Pro 50mm or Pulsar Apex xd50a or ir-hunter mk2 would be examples of 02 ... designed to be mounted on the rifle. The actual "scopes" often have optical magnification which is useful for greater precision.

I'll divide the "combo" units into two subgroups ... the helmet mountables and the clipons.

The problem with the clipons is they are pretty much 1x optical ... and when you use them in front of a day scope, if you use day scope magnification, you are zooming in on the pixels and quickly giving up screen size in order to see less pixels more closely. If having a rifle that is primarily a day rifle, but can be used in a pinch as a night rifle is a priority, then clipons make sense (to me). But if you want to optimize night shooting, then clipons don't seen to be the best solution (to me). I have used the apollo has a handheld spotter with a lanyard and then by using Larue rail clips to mark the spot, been able to put the apollo quickly on the rifle in the same spot. But there will be variation/repeatability issues with that approach though for hogs out to 150yds or there abouts that can work.

The final group I'll mention are the helmet mountables. These are the "do everything" bunch.

PAS-29/COTI
IR-Patrol
Armasight A-14
ATN Odin

You can mount them on your helmet while moving ... detach them from the helmet and use as handheld scanner while stationary ... and slap them on your rifle for a short range shot. But they are generally more expensive than the more dedicated solutions and not as good as weapon sights for various reasons. To me, the primary advantage of the "helmet mountables" is to be able to spot while moving.

==
One of the best bang for the buck ways I know of to get well rounded capability is to get both the HD19A and the XD38A.
HD19A, 19mm, 1x, 384(50) street price around $1,900
XD38A, 38mm, 1.5x, 384(50) street price around $2,900

That gets you both a dedicated spotter and a dedicated rifle scope for $4,800

For a bit more you can substitute the XD50A
XD50A, 50mm, 2.0x, 384(50) street price about $3,400

I have the XD50A and it is the second best thermal image I've ever seen, right after the IR-Hunter Mk2 ... and I hardly ever nuc the xd50a, it nucs itself. It is 1.5 pounds ...

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The IR Hunter can also be used as a clip on in front of a day scope I'm pretty sure. U can turn the reticle off on it.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Yes it can, to a limited extent, but only for day scopes that have 1x magnification. And I sold all mine except the Eotech. So at least for me, not much advantage in using the mk2 as a clipon.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For me unlike you hog slayers out there in TX. I only get to use my thermal for hunting yotes unless I,travel for hog hunting. I am trying to,work with a farmer in eastern NC who has a hog problem. We are working on a written agreement and some liability insurance so he is harmless. Good thing he sees he has problem wish me luck. My hunting buddy meet him through his work as a CE. His farm is about 2.5 hrs away. I have a W-1000, Zeus 3 640 72mm and my trusty PVS-14 for me that is a lot of cash. I would like a Thermal Apollo clip on but so far not bad enought to,lay out more money.

Last edited:

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey guys. Been lurkin a good bit, gettin in the mix now. The grand plan is to purchase some thermal when our place sells down here on the coast. Which in theory should be in the next coupla/few months. My hunt club up near Ellerbe is lousy with well educated deer dog-harrassed pigs. Kinda hoping to gain an edge with the thermal.
Anyways, been doin a ton of research and still no solid answer. Currently leaning t'wards IRD products MkII & III and sniffin the REAP-IR best I can pre-release. Can't say I've put much thought into Pulsar or Armasight and I really couldn't tell ya why. ATN just seems a bit "not right" from my experience with the l'il X-Sight. It works, but there's a definite bit of cheesiness to it. Cute at $400. Not so cute at $4k+.
Really wanna hold out for a while and see what shakes loose from SHOT and such with all the s'posedly forthcoming new releases. The combo's wigwamitus mentioned may be something I'll check into as well. No real set budget, but I don't wanna go batcrap with it either.
Thanks much for you guy's investment in this forum. :cool:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
UNV has a rent program ... and IIRC rental cost can be applied to purchase cost if you device to keep the device ... so kind of a "rent before you buy" sort of option ... so depending on what you want to do that might be something to consider. I think the 3 day rental charges are in the $200-$400 range for the types of devices you are talking about.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What's the terrain like of your hunting spot? What ranges do you figure you'll be shooting?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ir defense X series is supposed to be coming out relatively soon. Same software and housing is the Ir Hunter and patrol. Lower price point. 320 resolution but will be 10 micron (microns are distance between pixels. Lower microns = closer pixels = better image... I'm not good at explains this stuff texhnicologically) vs 12 or 17 and an 800x600 display screen vs 640 vs 480 display (display resolution not core resolution). They're thinkin picture quality will be better than current 336 resolution 17 micron scopes. But not as good as the 640s.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
UNV has a rent program ...
You'd be correct, sir. Best I can tell from reading you can apply one rental to purchase price. But with all the online help it shouldn't be too hard to get an idea of what fits the bill ahead of time. So one may be enough. I'd like to be able to tell dog from hog from deer to 350ish and be able to aim properly at said beasties to 200- 250ish if I can stand to swing the coin.

Taco- The club is paper company land. Everything from non-thinned looks-like-a-wall new pine forest to wide open cutover. With a l'il in between hard woods and a coupla rivers. Almost every bottom is wet and shows pig sign. I'll attach a few pic links. (Somebody lemme know if it's best to post links or pics. Didn't wanna jam the thread up with a buncha unnecessary pics.)

theblakester- Ya did a fine job of 'splainin. That's a thing about tech. A new improvement is always just around the corner. Each one with the potential to jack the value of what was previously purchased.

This first is a ground blind. About 175 yards. The cutovers pic'd are 3-400 yards across.
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah98/Schneekymon/RvrBotRd_zpsupml0rgw.jpg
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah98/Schneekymon/RvrBot22_zpsbqlqysfv.jpg
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah98/Schneekymon/Luther2_zpsv8r4k3hk.jpg
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah98/Schneekymon/RvrBotPigTree_zpsf2bk2i19.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
use the img link at PB and they show up live here without taking space up

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is that your SCAR? I can't remember if the theory that "scars are real hard on optics" has been hashed out over here.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is that your SCAR? I can't remember if the theory that "scars are real hard on optics" has been hashed out over here.
Yup. That's my l'il buddy. They might be tough on optics with that factory muzzle brake cause it seemed like it might cause reverse recoil. It was also one of the most obnoxious things to shoot with. I ditched the factory brake for the Specwar setup. Shoots like a pussycat with the 125 SST's I load for it (personal preference & BLK commonality) and wayyy more friendly on that occasional unprotected ear. It hasn't beat up on either of the Leupy's it's sported so far.

FrankT- I'll keep that in mind. Thankyasir!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep Cape Fear Wilminton area has some pigs. I also think you might have some big old bears as well.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I had three Armasights, two pulsars and one each IRD and ATN. And most simply put I'd say the IRD has the best "detail" (identification) ... and controls are easy to use one handed with gloves but that best "detail" comes at a premium price. I currently have the IR-Hunter mk2, 35mm, 640(60).
Best "bang for the buck" I'd say is Pulsar ... I currently have the XD50A, 2x, 50mm 384(50). The Pulsar has the second best "detail" I've seen and controls also easy to use one handed with gloves. Pulsar was under $3,400.

The Zeus 75mm, 3x, 640(30) came in at #3 in terms of detail
The Apex xd75a 75mm, 3x, 384(50) came in at #4.

My other two thermals are spotters, not rifle scopes though they have reticles and can be used in a pinch
Q-14, 1x, 19mm, 640(30)
Odin, 1x, 17mm, 320(30)

And I had for 15 months, but no longer have
Apollo, 1x, 42mm, 324(60)
It was between the Zeus and the xd75a on image, it was a clipon but could be used as a 1x scope and I used it that way or as a 1x spotter.

==
If I was buying today for your application, I'd go with the pulsar xd50a. NCS and TCT should both be able to get those ... probably others can also.