Staying Mobile is the Key

Zstingray

Watch it on the batteries. An old cart with batteries that are near the end of their useful life can cost a lot of money to replace the batteries. A gas powered cart is pretty quiet if you don't gun it, but you have to be careful your exhaust doesn't start a fire.
Go ahead and ask me how I know.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
On that note... if the batteries are still serviceable... here's an option to kick around to keep 'em going. I stumbled onto this a couple of months ago, pretty inktristink reading.

http://batterychem.biz/

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a 97 EZGO electric golf cart.
I bought it used for 1000.00 when it was 3 years old in 2000.
I've replaced the batteries twice and the forward/reverse switch twice.
I have put a set of heavy rear springs to support the back seat/flat bead.
I use stock sized tires but replaced the rib tires with turf tires to keep the load on the electric controller the same.

If you put oversize tires/rims on an electric and don't beef up the controller, cables and F/R switch with heavy duty versions, the stock stuff will melt and leave you in the middle of nowhere......yeah, melt....as in get hot enough to melt the solder out of the lugs on the end of the cables.

Am in the process of resurrecting B'Ugly (pronounced be ugly) for my hunting buggy.
I built this thing from scratch about 7 years ago based on shortened VW beetle IRS.
bugly20.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like that vern!! RD there are several rejuvenates on the market, Epson salts work too, seems de calcifying the lead plates is what they all do.

I am so looking for a gas cart style as I want to leave it at the lease and don't have electricity at my area.

Last edited:

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you go gas, make sure you put Stabil or some other stabalizer in the gas.
If you do, you can go out there and use the cart.
If you don't, after a few months, it will run like crap from a gunked up carb.
After 6 or 8 months, you are probably looking at a carb cleaning/rebuild.

Stabil keeps my mowers, blowers, pressure washers etc. starting and better yet, running.
It's cheap insurance!!

Second tip: get and use Slime or some other sealer in the tires.
Most cart/mower tires are 2 ply and ment to run on a manicured lawn!
The thorns here in CenTex will do in a tire quickly and Slime is just another step to keeping it going.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use "SeaFoam" as a fuel stabilizer, it also works as a fuel system cleaner, and helps allowing moisture to burn off. One pint treats 20 gals of gas. My last lawn mower netted me 14 yrs. before I ended up replacing it. (And, I think the alcohol in the gas they shove on us trashed my fuel lines and gunked things up).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have always used Stabilt ethanol treatment every tank and seafoam 1 time a year...Recently in FL the Gov signed the act that says stations do not have to serve ethanol fuel but it has not changed yet!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I despise ethanol. Hard on engines, less mileage, worse emissions. Another example of a overreaching government and fools believing in the global warming hoax. And before you start on the ice melting and sea levels I've found seashell fossils on top of hills in the desert.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, when you use a food product to make fuel you have already lost. Corn is one of the worst and inefficient products to use and look what it has done to animal feed and hunting bait..never made sense in the first place.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They Can Collect More Taxes When They Force Us To Use More Of It... Bastages.

jerrod

bad motha trucka
I have several properties we hunt and have great success with using my 2013 f150 fx4 that is camo wrapped with a high rack in the back. I have black out covers for the lights and its nice and quiet. Also it helps that I use thermal imaging and gen 3 night vision scopes.......just a bit. Some guys say its not a fair hunt doing it that way but we aren't going for a fair hunt, we are going to kill as many as we can everytime and it works!!!

coondog

LSB Member
Thats a pretty nice cart. My sister has one like that in camo. 72volt is the way to go. I have a 48 volt CC DS with 22 inch tires and 6 inch lift. It gets around pretty good. I gave 1,250 for it. My cart is shinny black and I would like to dull the shine or just do a camo pattern color of some sort.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lookin Good guys. I am still hunting out of my truck. Sucks to disconnect brake lights and cover the dash lights, then reconnect them when I hit public road. Plus I can never install a performance exhaust as that will make the truck too loud.

I really need to hook up a toggle switch to quickly disable/enable them.

The thing I like about using a truck is if the wind isn't right and when I spot a sounder I can quickly close the windows to minimize my scent downwind, then reposition of the stalk. Doesn't work all the time, but has worked a few times.

BTW Coondog. I can hook you with a guy at my work for a paint job, if your lookin for a pro job. You just have to pay for materials and his time. Or if you want to tackle the paint job yourself I have a high quality paint gun you can borrow and I can lend you a hand if need be.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
With my headlight s/w in the OFF position my break lights do not come on. In the ON position they are on all the time and no change when you hit the brake. Needless to say,this s/w is left in the OFF position when hunting/calling. I have a red light that I attach to the bar where my gun rack is mounted. It produces 200L on high and about half that on low. The CREE is red and it takes one 18650 batt. I carry a hand full of the 5000 mAH batts and it will quite easily last me all night.

It lights up the roadway 20ft in front of me and when I stop to call I cut it off with it's tail s/w. All my lights run on 18650 batts. My headlamps included. This,in all colors(red,green,and white). --- pruhdlr

Last edited:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice buggies guys

I like the idea of the accessories not taking away from the drive batteries.

Would a solar panel on the roof be of enough help to be worth the cost?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I tried my headlights ONCE to make sure they worked ....... THEN.......I blocked them out with some black material. Even when off,they reflected any moonlight available. I also covered my brake light and the batt charge level light mounted on the dash.

I have now attached two lights under the bar that holds my NEF Handi 300BLK in the above pic. They are attached with regular hose clamps. The 200L red light is there,plus a 4800L white light. Both use the 18650 batts and I carry a bunch of spares in the 5000mAH variety.

AND --> the longivity of these newer 72V machines is amazing. It's a true "all nighter". ---- pruhdlr

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, when you use a food product to make fuel you have already lost. Corn is one of the worst and inefficient products to use and look what it has done to animal feed and hunting bait..never made sense in the first place.
Do not understand why they do not use switch grass more sugar content and does effect corn market.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nobody has a switch grass lobby

too many hands out along the 'food chain' of subsidies. it does not require intensive cultivation like corn so not as many tractors wearing out

I assume you meant "Do not understand why they do not use switch grass more sugar content and does not effect corn market."