Staying Mobile is the Key

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I like the compare the way I hog hunt to tournament bass fishing. In bass fishing you constantly move from spot to spot until the fish strike. I hog hunt in a very similar fashion.

Hogs are constantly on the move feeding and wallowing throughout the night. A typical night of hunting consists of 2-4 people in a truck, without a single light on, and generation 3 night vision mounted on helmets to provide constant watch. We slowly creep through fields and down dirt roads on private properties until we spot the little black piggies in the distance.

Once the hogs are spotted, the hunters dismount the truck, and stalk in for the shot with the wind in their face. The biggest challenge with hunting pigs in the dark is getting used to the equipment and knowing how to play the wind. If one stalks in with the wind going the wrong way or fumbles with the equipment while making too much noise the hogs will be in the next county before you know it.

The approach of constantly being on the move and covering ground helps in several ways. One, it keeps the hunters occupied the entire time. The hunter's brain is on constantly alert scanning, driving, softly talking in the truck. Two, the more ground you cover the higher your chases of bumping into a large sounder (group) of hogs feeding in a field. Three, once the shots have been taken and the hogs have been collected the hunters can easily load up and drive to the next property for another chance.

This is all contrary to what most traditional hunters do by sitting in a blind for hours on end while starring at the same feeder or tree line while twiddling their thumbs. This same approach will work on an ATV, side-by-side, or on foot. Some people worry about engine noise, but I have yet to see a hog run from an engine. However, I have seen them run from the sound of gravel under tires.

This tactic is completely legal in Texas. Check your local game laws in your area first.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Plus it is a truck load of fun. No falling asleep in a blind or getting board staring out the same window. I still like the idea of a golf cart, but battery charge can be a issue. I guess it depends how big of a area you have to hunt. Still mobility increases the odds in you favor.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A lifted 48 volt golf cart with gun racks and seating for four would be awesome. However, for my situation it isn't ideal. I hunt 1400 acres divided into 4 different areas and they are all 3-5 miles from eachother.

I could use it with a trailer behind my truck and I think it would be an awesome rig I'm just not ready for the expense of it all. Lol

Anyone else have any other way they stay mobile while night hunting?

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ya ask obummer if you can borrow a preadator drone on the weekends. Lol

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Mobility and a large hunting area are key to consistently successful hunts. We call it "road hunting" here, and a lot of people scoff at those who do it, but from my experience if you mix road hunting, still hunting areas between water and bedding, and blind hunting over highly desired food sources (ie barley, corn, beans, sugar beets, safflour, wheat) you will catch more game than if you stick to a single style. One of the other key things is to try and not to hunt in the same pattern all the time, hogs are smart and will learn, deer will learn also but not as fast.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A lifted 48 volt golf cart with gun racks and seating for four would be awesome. However, for my situation it isn't ideal. I hunt 1400 acres divided into 4 different areas and they are all 3-5 miles from eachother.

I could use it with a trailer behind my truck and I think it would be an awesome rig I'm just not ready for the expense of it all. Lol

Anyone else have any other way they stay mobile while night hunting?
I would advise any truck with a small displacement 4 cyl or inline 6 cyl with a stock exahust system. The V6s and V8s seem to un-nerve deer more than the smaller displacement engines. Duramax mufflers (2003-2006) make great silencers and spark arrestors for the smaller engines...

The other option would be something like this: http://www.thegolfcartguide.com/index.php?page=ad_view&id=308
with some of these http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/golf-cart/gun-holder-with-removable-floor-mount/HNT GNH FLR REMV
get some clearance here http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-car-lift-and-tire-package-1
If you want a go fast motor... http://www.cheetahsupply.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jplnooi0

Soonlobo

LSB Member
I have to admit that golf cart idea sounds great! Quiet mobility plus a platform for a steady shot.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The older I get, the more I like the notion of road hunting. LOL

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hunt out of a truck. We have 2000 acres and is set up where we can work it for both south and north winds. A few get away here in there but it works quite effectively.
As you said fumbling around with the gear will spook them.. Yes it does. I learned real quick when I first got into this whole night vision game!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Staying mobile is fine, only if you have enough land to hunt

You can stay mobile on an acre but you might not see much!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am in the hunt for a gas cart to leave at the lease and use for working and hunting. I don't want Ele as I have no hookup and don't want to haul it. Been looking all year, about $2500 but well worth it! I am so tired of sitting in a blind, I do walk around some but tough on the old man.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am in the hunt for a gas cart to leave at the lease and use for working and hunting. I don't want Ele as I have no hookup and don't want to haul it. Been looking all year, about $2500 but well worth it! I am so tired of sitting in a blind, I do walk around some but tough on the old man.
Yea Im hoping to score a gas powered one myself this year. My lead has not panned out so far.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Why don't you guys just get an old Jeep? They can be made street legal, they are easier to work on than a new vehicle or any UTV/ATV, parts are readily available almost anywhere, and they can be had for a lot less than any of the hunting rigs that are sold ready to go. My family has picked up 2 in the past 3 years, both for less than $2500. Found both of them on craigslist.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Why don't you guys just get an old Jeep? They can be made street legal, they are easier to work on than a new vehicle or any UTV/ATV, parts are readily available almost anywhere, and they can be had for a lot less than any of the hunting rigs that are sold ready to go. My family has picked up 2 in the past 3 years, both for less than $2500. Found both of them on craigslist.

I have a landcruiser that I use to hunt! It's a great off road on road pretty much anywhere rig. It's fairly quiet but not near as quiet as the golf carts! I think that's the main draw to the carts noise, or lack of it!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a landcruiser that I use to hunt! It's a great off road on road pretty much anywhere rig. It's fairly quiet but not near as quiet as the golf carts! I think that's the main draw to the carts noise, or lack of it!

I agree they do make some noise, some way more than others, but for what one of the golf carts rigged out for hunting or badboy buggies cost it may be better to spend some money on an exhaust system that quiets the motor down.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well a jeep would be OK it you could make it quiet, a gas cart can be had for 2500 and you can make them quiet. Even a small 4cly truck would work. I would get an ele cart but no place to plug in. All of these are raised and have knobby tires on them. The new UTV's are 10-15K, I cannot afford that. My dilemma is I have been looking for a small truck I can drive back and forth to the lease(50 miles each way) and hunt out of, so it need to be more reliable and would want A/C, I am spoiled!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well a jeep would be OK it you could make it quiet, a gas cart can be had for 2500 and you can make them quiet. Even a small 4cly truck would work. I would get an ele cart but no place to plug in. All of these are raised and have knobby tires on them. The new UTV's are 10-15K, I cannot afford that. My dilemma is I have been looking for a small truck I can drive back and forth to the lease(50 miles each way) and hunt out of, so it need to be more reliable and would want A/C, I am spoiled!

with the kind of temperatures and humidity the southern states have A/C is not a want it is a need, especially in the summer when you can get heat stroke/stress easier!

I had a buddy that used an old 70-80 something toyota 4x4 puckup (the small ones) and he cut the top and back of the cab off, added a soft top to cover the whole thing and it worked great. Of course practically no A/C if you cut the cab off...

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have been looking into one of these hybrid electric/gas UTVs but it is pricy for a UTV. I am not to sure how well it would hold up though on our ranch. It is some rocky rough country. My personal hunting vehicle is a '94 2-door blazer that is pretty quiet and has working A/C which is nice this time of year. I can still use night vision with the headlights off to navigate the ranch and get pretty close to hogs without spooking. It also helps that in our part of the world the wind is almost always blowing 15mph which covers up a lot of noise.

http://www.badboybuggies.com/sport/ambush.html

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The more I talk to you guys a small truck or jeep may be the thing to use, lots tougher than a golf cart and may be easier to find in OK condition.