Reap-IR owners

ATLSteve

I was using some CR123 that I had, but do have the battery pack as well, but did not use.

I do wish they sold the cable a little longer, but that is just for how I am using it (hand scanning then mount to rifle)

JPK

LSB Active Member
Taco, I think I read he got the battery pack.

Steve, the artifacts, aka white lines and some loss of definition are signs you were way past the NUC point. The IRD's like their frequent NUC's, especially when you turn them on.

JPK

ATLSteve

Yes, I have the battery pack, just didn't use it. I need to figure out a way to use it while scanning via handheld, and while attached to the rifle (which I don't hold while scanning). Thinking either a longer cord would be perfect.

JPK, thanks for the NUC tip, I was only doing it about 30 minutes..

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You guys that have reap-irs....they came with manuals? I can't find one online. Can one of you read in the manual what it says about the clip on function? I'm not looking to use it a lot as a clip on, if at all. It's a scanner and a scope. I tried calling IRD and no one called me back. I just want the straight skinny. Thanks.

ATLSteve

The manual did come with it, but I would say it is more a flip card style rather than a full blown manual. One the other hand it is pretty darn simple to use. As stated in the past I have used mine disconnected (made a simple lanyard from some 550 cord) and hang it around my neck when not scanning - worked perfect.

I did call IRD before I purchased it and got right through to someone who seemed very informed and nice...

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just spoke to a real nice dude at IRD. In so many words he says the reap-ir sucks as a clip on. That would seem the intuitive conclusion, so I can only question their advertising/literature. Dead horse beaten and buried.

Mcgilbery

LSB Member
Fyi if you want to replace the PVS 14 eye cup with a BC flip up its a size 16 eye.
I love my Reap. I use it to hunt for hogs mounted on a gun, and I remove it and use 550 cord and scan with it at work looking for illegals when deployed to south TX. It's a great duel purpose optic

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sent my Reap-IR back to Cali last week. To my eyes the unit does not focus properly. I'll be shocked if they tell me it checks out and I'll just rid of it. IRD was initially responsive and communicative, and then I just quit hearing from them. I know they're small and busy and just got bought out, anyway I won't rant. I ended up calling and getting the vendor involved and soon had a return shipping label. I want to experiance that this thing is a game changer like everyone says. Should get it back hopefully this week and will update.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sent my Reap-IR back to Cali last week. To my eyes the unit does not focus properly. I'll be shocked if they tell me it checks out and I'll just rid of it. IRD was initially responsive and communicative, and then I just quit hearing from them. I know they're small and busy and just got bought out, anyway I won't rant. I ended up calling and getting the vendor involved and soon had a return shipping label. I want to experiance that this thing is a game changer like everyone says. Should get it back hopefully this week and will update.
Outside of the ends of this thing I've been tickled chitless with it. The cheezy ass Butler Creek cover and loose fitting eye piece have pissed me off no end out in the field. The eyepiece seems to be fixed with a ~.750 wide piece of inner tube over the groove and eyepiece base.
Yes, my $7500 optic has a piece of cut inner tube on it that keeps it from constantly losing it's eyepiece. :confused:

And it's amazing how loud that cap can be out in the woods when it decides to not release and ya hafta pop it off manually cause the cheezy red release tab didn't function. If it wasn't for the handi-ness doing a NUC I'd throw that l'il POS in the trash.
But ever since doing that gig with the lock ring on the ocular adjustment the res has been mondo schweet!! When I have it attached to the Handi I'd rather scan with REAP and the Handi broke open than use the XD19a.
It's THAT much clearer.
It's like they took this friggin Picasso of an optic and stuck it inna $4.99 Walmart frame. C'mon, man! :cool: d:^) Jake..

JPK

LSB Active Member
The eye cup is a standard PVS 14 eye cup, I use a shuttered eye cup on my MK II. But either way, if you want to keep the eye cup on use a thin zip tie, it works fine.

After loosing a couple of eye cups in the field I ran without one, but the light spill was bad and flashing me and my gear, so I bought another shuttered eye cup and zip tied it almost two years ago, no issues since.

Also, rather than the BC with the red tab, the non tabbed version works better. Keep it open when the unit is powered on and just use the ring and pinky fingers on the hand you use for the controller to hold it shut while nucing. The cap snags less crap when open of it opens down instead of up too.

JPK

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well they tell me the scope is fine. Not sure what I'll do. Maybe I'll try some reading glasses but I'd don't have issues seeing fuzzy images with my 75mm 640 Zeus.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Taco, take a look at your PVS 14, binos or some other quality optic with an adjustable ocular and note the adjustment that works for you, then compare it to the adjustment on the REAP-IR. It should be the same. Some of the ocular focus rings on PVS 14s, Patrols, MK IIs, IIIs and EEAP-IR are very stiff. (Same ocular.)

Also, though I suspect you know about it, there is digital focus adjustment in the REAP-IR menu. I use a different then default setting for my MK II to get the sharpest view possible.

And it bears repeating for anyone who reads this thread that the order for best results for the IR fixed objective focus units, at least the one that works best for me, is ocular focus then digital focus then ocular then play a little with the digital focus to see if more improvement can be had.

Keep in mind too that contrast adjustment effects apparent (but not actual) focus. The more contrast the less "smooth" the view, the less smooth the view the more it seems focus needs adjustment, when the route to a better view is less contrast.

Hope this helps!

JPK

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will second the contrast adjustment. For most viewing my MKII likes to be about 1/3 of the way up for the contrast before it starts getting grainy and appearing out of focus.
Also, the digital focus on my MKII does best at "+1" for most viewing.
I have found that when using 4x or 8x digital magnification, the image is best when the contrast is up high and the digital focus is all the way up at +2.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for the replies. They tell me that the scope is perfect in every way. They shipped back ups ground that for some reason takes 6 days to get here. I'll give it another go and either get to liking it or ditch it.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Zeus 100. It's what I should have gotten in the first place. Maybe I figure out the reap though with my eye relief and sharpness.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Maybe so....or just have that pro 100 shipped to me!!! Yeah!