Reap-IR owners

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
How are most of you using it? Scan with it then slap it on rifle via dloc? Think I read of one guy doing that. I'd like a 640 res scanner but also another 640 res scope. The Reap would seem to come closest to filling both of those rolls. I could upgrade my pulsar scanner, and also gain another 640 optic. Any of you guys used it as a clip on yet? I have a lwrc 5.56 with a nice compact acog I've been wanting to get out at night. I keep going back and forth on a 336 back up scope, but maybe I should be looking to upgrade in a way.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Fwiw, I tried a Patrol with the DLOC mount as a spotter/scope and in the end bought a Pulsar 19A to do the spotting. I have come to the conclusion that a spotter ought to be a spotter and a scope ought to be a scope.

On the other hand, when I was hunting alone, I really, really liked the Patrol as a spotter in combo with an IRD MK II 25mm as my scope. So, maybe buying the REAP-IR as a second scope when you are with a guest and the REAP-IR as your spotter when hunting alone is a winning combination.

I do suspect that if you get the REAP-IR you will dislike going back to your Armasight as your scope. I have compared an Armasight 75mm 3x vs my 2.5x MK II and while the Armasight was nice it wasn't a close run. The REAP-IR is even better than the MK II. (Maybe the Pro line or newer software would make the Armasight competitive though.)

JPK

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's kinda the idea. I want a 640 scanner. It will be used 90% of the time as a scanner. The other times it will be on another rifle as a back up for my Zeus if it goes tits up or in the hands of a guest on said rifle. Or hell I may enjoy messing with it on my day scoped rifles as a clip on. Lol I guess the real fundamental question would be how does it work as a scanner?

JPK

LSB Active Member
The Patrol was a great, great spotter. (It was a pretty good scope too.) With about 1/2 the native magnification of the REAP-IR, for my use the Patrol would probably be the better spotter, but in any country more open that MD's Eastern Shore, the 2.5x of the REAP-IR would be welcome. There are plenty of times the 1x of my Pulsar 19A is left wanting.

The control system of the Patrol and REAP-IR are the similar, which is to say really user friendly and easy to learn.

I am yearning for a REAP-IR to replace my much missed Patrol as my spotter when hunting alone and as a really good scope.

I bought a Pulsar XD 50S as my back up/son's/loaner scope and it fills the bill very well, but it is too big and awkward for use as a spotter. The REAP-IR and Patrol do fill that main spotter/second scope role very well.

JPK

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I pretty well stopped stand hunting and more and more I'm patroling my perimeter gravel roads in a truck or ranger and encountering groups of pigs in with my cattle at distances of 300 yards and longer. The pulsar 38 doesn't have the legs to give me the image I want a lot of times. It's also starting to get a bit wonky on me......a few pixels dying, white hot images going blue, and some other stuff I haven't messed with bc I'm in the field.

Any Reap-IR users I'd love your feed back.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been running a ReapIR the last couple of months. I often use it as a scanner/scope as the 2.5X lens makes a great close to mid-range scope or monocular.

I also picked up a IR Patrol LE100 for a 1X scanner (I like the 1X up in woods/close range vs the ReapIR 2.5X). To me the ReapIR is the first thermal scope I've owned that functions equally as well in the scope or monocular role.

The IR patrol seems more like a 1.25X to 1.5X power to me vs the 1X mono's I have owned in the past.I am not a huge fan of flat 1X thermal mono's myself it always seems I'm needing more magnification while viewing more open areas. Personally, I have always found a 2X thermal mono to give be decent close range scanning and work much much better at longer range ranges for ID. That said the IR patrol seems perfect for scanning 5 yards to 500 yards I really like the patrol as a scanner.

Clarity wise my old Pulsar HD19/HD38 aren't in the same class as my Patrol or ReapIR. Heck in fact nothing I've owned even other 640 core systems are in the Patrols/ReapIR class. These two IRD systems just deliver a great image to your eye.

I've practiced going from neck lanyard to rifle mount with the ReapIR and can get it transferred in 5-10 seconds. It takes about 8 seconds to power up and be ready to shoot so I really don't lose anytime to get a shot off since going from mono to rifle the scope is already power up.

You can tell the ReapIR software has been improved since the IR patrol. The ReapIR saves user presents, has a less sensitive joy stick (better), and the joy stick lock I wish the Patrol had. That said I like the IR-Patrol in the monocular role it's awesome at that.

Sometimes I don't need or like to carry two,or three systems for a night out. That's when I just pack lite with ReapIR only and use it as a "do it all" system and it does that very well. I have tried this in the past with other scopes Thor,MK II and etc etc ,however they just didn't feel natural or easy in the field to change out/use as mono like the ReapIR does. I'm sure this is because the ReapIR/Patrol housing was designed as a Monocular first then adapted to a mini weapon sight so the DNA for mono use was there from the start.

Last edited:

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Terry that's great info thanks man. You haven't used the reap-ir as a clip on yet have you?

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I haven't tried it as a clip-on doubt I ever do that. I've never been a huge clip on fan myself NV or thermal just not my cup of tea. With a good QR mount system on day and thermal scope I change scopes out in seconds and go day/night without the added weight and rail length of a clip on setup. Plus it's always the clearest view looking through a stand alone system.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Good scoop on thr REAP-IR Terry, thanks. I agree with the clip on issue. Easier and better to mount the day optic in a good QD mount and likewise the thermal.

Fwiw, I have a good night hunting bud who is a huge clip on fan. Every time we hunt he expresses envy centered on the compact and lightweight set ups I field vs. his clip on set ups. Compact and lightweight = Patrol and MK II. His clip owns are first rate, like the LWTS, so performance isn't the issue.

Also, fwiw, I would not choose going afield with one thermal. I would always want the spotter and the dedicated thermal scope.

Last note, even the LWTS doesn't provide the view of the MK II. Just not as clear.

JPK

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What is also dumb about me is that all my day optics are in Larue qd mounts, and yet I have yet to remove them nor do I want to remove them. Yeah...I'm nuts. Guess it's about time I pulled those levers and trusted the return to zero.

How would the d-loc work on multiple guns? Ok so the d-loc is qd placed in the particular rail slot and that is the return to zero? Or you could buy an extra d-loc for a gun that didn't have a day optic for expediency purposes?

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DLOC, is attached to the built in rail on Patrol/Reaper and isn't QR on that end. The quick release side has three rail rods and is also spring loaded tension wise something I didn't known until I saw the mount in person. It will grab and rail and hold even before the thumb screw is tightened down.

It goes back to dead on POI on all four different rifles I use the ReapIR on. It's a solid QR mount and has a few pluses to it. The big one is most lever mounts need to be adjusted (be it a nut or screw) to fit out of spec rails while the DLOC doesn't require small adjustments in width for a tight rail grab/fit since it screws down.

The fact the mount grabs and locks to rail under its own spring tension helps me lock on the rail by feel only in the dark also.

And yes JPK , I also perfer to always have a monocular with me also it's the cats meow having both a scope and monocular no one system can match that. However, there are times when I'm packing lite and can't carry my entire arsenal of NV and thermal gear with me. Its nice to have a system flexible enough to cover both needs.

I wish the Patrol 300W had the ReapIR software, but for whatever reason IRD choose not to upgrade the patrol 300 what a shame. Because of that fact I choose to just buy the Patrol 100 vs a higher end patrol.

Last edited:

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So terry you scan with the dloc mounted to the reap?

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No problem scanning and I run my paracord lanyard through the hole on side of DLOC mount so the scope balances horizontal on my chest. I like the way it Carrys vs using the provided lanyard holes vertical carry.

ATLSteve

Couple questions for those who have had them a while (since I just received mine yesterday, wow the picture quality..)

- What firmware does yours say? (see the number during start up - should be 2.XX)
- Has anyone had any sort of issue going from lanyard scanning to putting it back on the rifle and having it stay zero?
- How do I register the item for warranty (since these are not cheap toys)?
- Any one find a site with more detailed information on these (firmware versions, changes, etc..)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Couple questions for those who have had them a while (since I just received mine yesterday, wow the picture quality..)

- What firmware does yours say? (see the number during start up - should be 2.XX)
- Has anyone had any sort of issue going from lanyard scanning to putting it back on the rifle and having it stay zero?
- How do I register the item for warranty (since these are not cheap toys)?
- Any one find a site with more detailed information on these (firmware versions, changes, etc..)?

Thanks!

First, I don't see a firmware number at start up page with my ReapIR only the 2.5X magnification ---12 FOV---35mm lens

Second, zero issue with POI as long as the sight always goes back to same slots on weapon rail. Personally after having/using the DLOC mount for a while I have to say this has to be one of the best return to POI mounts out there. I remove/move my ReapIR around on four different rifles, after every hunt and sometimes in the field using as a lanyard/scope both. It will still hit a 1.5" sq of foil 75 yards at my home range every time (That's not bad with my human error involved LOL). I'm a huge LaRue mount guy that said the DLOC has some very nice features that just work well in the field.

Warranty, I believe you just save your "dated" invoice and send copy if you need repair?

A while back IRD said they were in the process of building a customer update/service site/system we are all still waiting for it?

And yes the image quality is WOW! Personally, I think IRD products have the best image in there price range/class. The clarity tends to blow people's mind who have seen and used thermal in the past with just one look through the ReapR.

Last edited:

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Terry and JPK thanks for your responses. Can one of you tell me how this things operates as a clip on? I had a sales rep tell me that as you can't colimate this optic to a day optic that you can only put it in front of a red dot, and that it's really only usable to 100 yards. I guess this makes sense but the IRD literature shows the optic in from of a variable day scope and advertises it as a clip on. What's the word?

ATLSteve

Once you turn the unit on, after the logo you will see the firmware version. Just wondering...

I head out in the morning to travel for some pigs and yotes.. Can't wait.

Also, I will be trying out the scanning, then reattach for zero.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Terry and JPK thanks for your responses. Can one of you tell me how this things operates as a clip on? I had a sales rep tell me that as you can't colimate this optic to a day optic that you can only put it in front of a red dot, and that it's really only usable to 100 yards. I guess this makes sense but the IRD literature shows the optic in from of a variable day scope and advertises it as a clip on. What's the word?

Somewhere I have the directions for "aligning" a Patrol as a clip on. I think the process is the same for the REAP-IR. After reading it and thinking about the nice, compact, lightweight sight the Patrol made I never did try the Patrol as a clip on.

Fwiw, my take on using the Patrol as a clip on was that so long as your day optic was a very good low mag variable, i.e. no POI wander as magnification was increased, it would work ok to about 2-3x on the day optic, at which point you are loosing the FOV of the thermal. Zooming the day optic on the thermal screen has an effect on resolution similar to using digital zoom from what I have seen on TLM's videos and have read as well. So it would seem the lighter, more compact set up using just the thermal with digital zoom is the better way to go.

As far as the DLOC as a repeatable QD mount, the one on my Patrol worked great. No issues at all and it was on and off all the time since when I had it and hunted alone it was my go to spotter - and I never deer hunted without it either. (You would be surprised at how many more deer you spot if you have your thermal with you.)

You all have me jonesing for a REAP-IR!

JPK

ATLSteve

Just got back from my first test/hunt with the reap-ir...

Got it dialed in on the range, then tested taking it off and on multiple times with dead nuts on the money out to 100... Happy so far

When in the blind I start using it alone to scan (by its self since I feel good zero is good) looking for hogs.. The disconnect (home made lanyard) works perfect, scanning is very nice. The eye piece was the best as it does not allow light out if your eye isn't up to it.

A few times I start noticing few artifacts on the screen (horizontal lines that where all white), but after NUC they were gone...

At about 11:00 a big black bear comes into my bait pile and will not leave (I swear he gave me the finger when I yelled at him)... So after 30 minutes of him eating I called no joy and left..(middle GA must have bear convention going on, I see them every time here, normally within 40 yards, no city or trash bears here), I admit, I rode that atv like I stole it to get out of there ;)

I spotted him easily at 300 yards coming in, total amazement of the clarity and performance of this thing.. Feel good about it holding zero...

Having only experienced the ATN Thor Hd 364 before, this is like blue ray vs an old vcr .

Not sure if I hijacked this thread, but total amazement of this thing

Last edited:

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Steve keep posting your thoughts on the optic. The more info the better. Hey are you using one cr123 or did you buy or did it come with the extender?