Reap-IR owners

Mcgilbery

LSB Member
Bad news my Reap-IR is not focusing anymore either. I have pictues inside of the unit too. Image is very blurt and the detail is gone. I couldn't distinguish what a 150 lb hog was at 60 yards the other day. Going to give IRD a call hope they fix this unit and not give me the run around. I have tried adjusting focus and contrast and eye piece it doesn't help. started noticing the image getting blurry about 2 weeks ago.

JeremyV

LSB Member
I almost got one of these but decided to go with a Zeus and now I'm glad I did.
Hopefully you get your scope replaced.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
who bought IR and are they responding at all to your concerns and issues?

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Trijicon bought IRD I believe. They're excellent so I would expect their good service would pass on through. That's a shame about y'alls reapers. I had high hopes for that unit but now I'm glad I went heavy on the Zeus's. I'm pretty pumped about my 100 that's coming. They're like 2 weeks out from building from my last correspondence with them.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The issue I've encountered with them is it seems like IRD has very few employees and they work 4 days a week. It can be hard to get ahold of them bc when they are there they are extremely busy.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My experience has been that Sometimes they don't answer the first time I call during the week. But typically I've called back or called the other line and they answer or call back pretty quickly. And when they're on the phone they never seem to rush me or make my issue seem minor or unimportant.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
While my reap-IR has been in California I bought a 42mm 640 Zeus. I really like this scope. Was out most of the day with it and a rangefinder looking at cattle, horses, turkeys, and some geese. At about half the price it does what I wanted the reap to do as a scope. When I get the reap back from super slow 12 day horse drawn carriage UPS I'll get them both out and compare side by side.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just got my reap-ir back from IRD. They had told that there was nothing wrong with the scope. I don't know what they did but the image to me looks entirely different. I've been messing with it for the last hour lookin at cows out to 700 yards. There is a level of crisp detail that I was not seeing before. In other words this thing looks really, really, good. The blur on native mag seems to be gone and the image looks great. I'll try to get out tonight for further evaluation but so far this is a real relief.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Congrats. Glad to hear it.. would suck to spend that money and be dissatisfied. I am getting one myself

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
always bothers me when they say noting wrong and send it back...good luck

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hunted with the reap-IR as a scanner tonight. Had the 42mm zeus on a dpms .308 and killed 3-4 hogs. Conditions were terrible....foggy and a driving mist. I have to say the Reap is pretty amazing. These things are as billed......it's a much better picture than my 42mm Zeus. I'm impressed.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've ran my Reap-IR hard several days a week since this last summer harvesting around 100 hogs. So far I've been real happy with the Reap-IR, it's not perfect by any means,but dependable with great resolution compared to all the other thermal scopes I've owned and used. The Reap-IR image clarity is so good I bought a IR patrol mono to go with my setup it's awesome dual punch.

My main dislike is slow power up to be shot ready, like 8-10 seconds till I can get a shot off. About like the pulsar units I've used.

Other than that there's not much to dislike so far plus the small/compact size/weight is #1 in my book. I like the controls,ease of use and the performance in challenging conditions is excellent when you adjust the contrast/sharpness settings to match the conditions.

Right now on today's market there isn't anything thermal scope wise I would trade for it. I heard maybe some new stuff coming 2017 we will see how the market looks next year.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Terry,

Fwiw, IR D told me that turning the scope on and off at the rate of a couple of times an hour was more of a drain on the battery than just leaving it on the whole hunt because boot up is power intensive. Since you have a Patrol as well, maybe comparing the battery life of the Patrol left on and the REAP-IR cycled on and off will confirm this.

Also, if your REAP-IR stays on your rifle through a hunt, I can highly recommend Ultimate Night Vision's remote, rechargeable battery pack. It comes with a pouch which can be easily mounted to the off side of the stock or forward of the scope. The Anker battery can be charged in the pouch or it can be removed from the pouch for charging. The charging cable has a USB connection, so you can charge the battery via 12v or 110v. The pack provides all night power and then some. And, as I am sure you know, the IR D units become pretty stable and require less and less frequent NUCing the longer they are on.

JPK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here's my take on it. Both Armasight and IRD make great scopes every company has issues these things are electronic and man made, even toyota has a engine go out every once in a while while most go 400k+ with just general maintenance.

We see a high number of issues with these scopes here because one a lot of us use them and two when people are having issues and search for thermal they find us, especally armasight people since I uses to be pro staff for them and I still use their scopes in my videos. The guys with no issues never search they just enjoy the product so we never hear from the majority of them.

Armasight and IRD have both been recently acuired by very reputable companies but with and move/ownership change there are going to be logistic issues. So if you have problems while this is occurring it sucks.

I have looked through and used the top scopes from both companies, the IRD has a very slightly better image in good conditions but it's very slight if the Zeus is set up properly. So I guess that is a con for the zeus along with the lack of contrast but that has been fixed now. The IRD has cons as well no adjustable focus on most units, no shutter for the nuc, bad video out.

But those things are all minor annoyances both units will serve you well whichever way you chose. It's the Ford Mustang, Chevy camaro thing all over again one year one is half a car lenght faster than the other, the next it switches.

ATLSteve

mainscreen.jpg
Turkey.jpg
Bear.jpg
First a question, then some eye candy..
Once you turn on the Reap-IR and get past the first logo screen mine show's 2.18 in the upper left side, does anyone know what that means (firmware revision?)..

Also here are some images of Turkeys and a bear I ran into while out before... Sorry, the pictures were from my phone looking through the eye piece..

Steve

Mcgilbery

LSB Member
Good news got my Reap back had to send it in to Trijicon to get it to focus. They updated the software and it apparently cleaned up the image looks new again. Took approximately 30 days. Trijicon sent me a shipping label so no out if pocket cost. It sucks that it broke, but they took care of the issue at no cost to me.

D

djones

Also, rather than the BC with the red tab, the non tabbed version works better.
which BC cap with out the red flipper fits the obj lens? i can't find one for that size.

Fwiw, IR D told me that turning the scope on and off at the rate of a couple of times an hour was more of a drain on the battery than just leaving it on the whole hunt because boot up is power intensive.
i tried that and got about 3 hours, which is approx what is advertised. but that implies that turning it on/off 6 times would drain the two batteries. i got the battery pack because i want to leave it on anyway, but without the pack i'd probably experiment more with turning it off.