PVS-14 Dying: Video of a dying tube

SC-Texas

Texas Gun Trust
My old stand by PVS-14 appears to be experiencing its last days:
I don't know how old it is or what tube is in it, but its been a good one.
I thought everyone might want to see what "shading" or "going to air" looks like.
I will be replacing the tube with a new ITT or L3 tube in the near future.
Anyone have questions or comments . . . .ask away.
General:
1. The tube was never exposed to bright light
2. It was stored in a pelican case with lenscaps on
3. Never stored with batteries.
4 Never dropped
5. Never weapon mounted since I have had it.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good info and good video.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would stab myself!

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, how much does it hurt when you need to replace one of these tubes?

Smitty

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, how much does it hurt when you need to replace one of these tubes?

Smitty
Tubes are supposed to last 40,000 hours or more. But the tube is 90% of the nv cost I think.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Tubes can range in price from $1000-$2000 depending on the specs, model, and if it has blemishes. Yes, most of Tue cost of the unit is the tube.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm having to send mine back to ITT for the second time. When I have it weapon mounted and shoot, the damn thing turns off and will not turn back on until I remove it and wait approximately twenty seconds before it will turn back on. I'm using it on a 556 only.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's why I love dealing with the guys at Ident. If something goes wrong I can drive up there and get it fixed. I've also seen several people who bought nv elsewhere getting them fixed right at ident. This is after several failed attempts to get it fixed from the original store.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It's still under warranty, but if the guys at ITT don't send me a return number I may have to suck it up and get Ident to fix it. The original store does not do any repairs, they referred me back to ITT.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm no pro but sounds like loose power terminals from the power supply to the tube. Just a guess.

Jason would know by just sniffing the thing. The guy has forgotten more about night vision than I will learn in my lifetime.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Smitty did you not send your first unit back due to the recoil making it stop working?

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Smitty did you not send your first unit back due to the recoil making it stop working?

My PVS-14 hasn't had any problems. I did have a Pulsar N550 that only lasted a couple of rounds on one of my 6.8s before it died. I sent it back for a refund.

Smitty

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a friend who's been running one for over three years with no problem. I bought from the same company who I cannot complain about. I sent it back once and was told it had loose connections. You nailed it T-Bone. I'll try to send it back again. I really like the unit and hope to get it back up and running. It bites when you shoot and cannot see the results.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well I got my return number today from ITT. I'll be shipping it off shortly. I hope they get it right this time.