POI problem w/ apollo pro 640 50mm in front of day scope

JPK

LSB Active Member
Might want to try calling at night too.

Predators are not so shy at night, and the action can be close and quick, sometimes on multiples. Watching them come charging to the call is exiting stuff.

JPK

lazyeye

ok, thanks jpk, will try that too!! looking forward to it when the snow's gone and the weather's a bit better.

i tried to put an xl sheet attached, but it didn't work.

anyway, i ran the numbers and for the .270 and .300 wm the 200 zero makes most sense as it alone gives protection to the over 200 shot for elk and antelope, with apogees of both between 1.3 and 1.5 at 100 and 150 yds. but with the .223 69 gr hp it's a tossup and depends.

see below: the flatter trajectory of the 100-200 yd zeros make more sense inside 200 yds, but the 50 yd zero gives me the same apogee as i'm used to, up 1.5-1.8 at 100 and 150 that i'm used to with my longer range zeroes! so i think now that i'll just stay with the 50 yd zero that acts in that range that i'm used to w/o thinking, and gives a better dayscope range beyond 200 as well if i need it. if this ar was my first rifle and for this job inside 200 yds i'd go with the 100-200 options. either way you look at it, you're in the kill zone without thinking much about it. i was shooting at targets in total darkness last night and watching animals. lit up like xmas trees. so exciting/amazing.

zero at: poi@ 50 100 150 200 250
50 yd 0 1.5 1.8 0.8 -1.5
100 -0.8 0 -0.4 -2.2 -5.3
150 -0.6 0.3 0 -1.6 -4.6
200 -0.2 1.1 1.2 0 -2.6

buol aka lazyeye

JPK

LSB Active Member
Sounds good. And familiar is good thing too, helps limit the thinking required when things get exciting.

When you give it a try I think you become addicted to night calling. Lots of fun and excitement and the critters are aggressive.

Fwiw, it's a good idea to use a decoy even calling at night. Keeps the critter's eyes on the call or the decoy and allows you more movement to get on them when they get close. The decoy doesn't have to be fancy, a turkey feather tied with fishing line to a stake works fine as a decoy if there is any wind.

Post hunt results when you can!

JPK

lazyeye

will do. still lots of snow here and more keeps coming, so it'll be a while. meanwhile i can unbox the little dvr that came with it and try to learn how that works!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i just got this (first thermal) and have the following problem i can't figure out. i have a rock river ar15 .223 w/ a picatinny rail. using a weaver 3-7x 32 mm day scope i have tight groups at 100 yds about 1.75 -2.0" high on a 2' x 2' target at 7x. when i put on the thermal (with its reticle turned off) after dark and put a hand warmer on the target's center, i see it totally clearly....but i don't hit anywhere on the entire paper!! any help with what i'm doing wrong or what may be going on here would be much appreciated! thanks.

I had the same problem with an ATN Tico clip on thermal. The owner's manual states that one needs to align the crosshairs on the scope with the crosshairs on your day scope. I would make the adjustments, hit "save" and nothing would happen. Called ATN, but their customer service absolutely SUCKS! They were of no help. A friend of mine that is on the sniper squad of the local sheriffs department tried to align the unit, but was also unable to save the changes. After a week of trying, he finally turned the reticle color to black, and I use the illumination on my NF scope. I've attached a photo of my Armalite AR-10 with the ATN Tico clip on thermal. ARMALITE AR10.JPG

lazyeye

see the following from jpk and thread thereafter; worked for me just fine....unless the problem really is that the software won't save the adjustment change. if that's the case, check firmware upgrade to solve the issue or send it back. good luck; report back.
b

I would suggest setting the rifle on bags, in a lead sled or something similar, with the zero'd day scope's reticle centered on the target, and then, without moving the rifle, mounting the thermal. You will be able to see where the cross hairs of the day scope are moved to, and so the error generated by the thermal.

With an unloaded rifle, you could do it at home.

JPK

Robert H

LSB Member
On armasight apollo clip on turn on recticle bore sight it move recticle to poi then go to margin settings and move screen till recticle match up turn off thermal recticle and use daytime scope recticle

Margin setting is the key

Rlh

SANDYB

see the following from jpk and thread thereafter; worked for me just fine....unless the problem really is that the software won't save the adjustment change. if that's the case, check firmware upgrade to solve the issue or send it back. good luck; report back.
b

I would suggest setting the rifle on bags, in a lead sled or something similar, with the zero'd day scope's reticle centered on the target, and then, without moving the rifle, mounting the thermal. You will be able to see where the cross hairs of the day scope are moved to, and so the error generated by the thermal.

With an unloaded rifle, you could do it at home.

JPK
Dude thank you so much for the simple do it at home fix. I was having the same issue. I went hunting last night ans missed a heard of hogs not one hit. It was my first time ever clipping on the apollo 336 in front of my every day use day scope I just assumed it was zeroed. It wasnt. I missed but time. So I did what you said at home and the apollo was causing a 2 ft high ans 6 inch left shift from what my day scope was looking at. So I moved the margins around and walla it was aligned with my day scope. I took it on a off a bunch of times and it stayed aligned and zeroed.
Thank you thank you. You would think freaking armasight would explain it somewhere easy to find.