IR Thermal

Aquatic_Robotic

I have a chance to compare 10 different thermals in about two weeks

Most ATN Thor and Flir and both versions of the IR Thermal. I have never owned a thermal unit nor had an opportunity to play with any. This should give me an opportunity to make some good in the field comparisons. I will not be firing with any mounted as they are all new units. I am supposed to be able to use them mounted on various rifles, just not fire with them mounted. I have done a fair amount of research and both Thor and Flir, but have not seen much on the IR Thermal

I am ready to purchase a unit and was wandering has anyone had an opportunity to handle the new IR Thermal? If so, what are your impressions. Being a new company and a new product I am little concerned about what issues might arise? I understand they are very hard to come by at this time as well.

I would appreciate any comments about the IR Thermal units.

Aquatic_Robotic

OK I just needed to read further down the lists to see the reviews done here. Excellent write up on the IR Themrals. I will still check them out when the opportunity comes about. I stared looking at ATN Thor and still have keen interest in these units because I am supposed to get one at cost.

Sorry to have jumped the gun in my question. I will read further ahead before posing future questions.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cousin, you need any help? I can buy the iced tea and BBQ

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here are some thermal comparison videos from this site. I also included a link to "hunt txhogs" YouTube channel. He does some good demo and comparison videos as well. Hopefully these videos will give u a good idea on how u want to structure your comparison video. Whereabouts are you located?http://lonestarboars.com/threads/thermal-scope-side-by-side-comparison.1659/

http://lonestarboars.com/threads/another-thermal-weapon-sight-ir-defense-ir-hunter.1472/unread

http://lonestarboars.com/threads/ir-hunter-320-2x-19mm-review.1497/

http://lonestarboars.com/threads/armasight-zeus-3-320x256-42mm-30-hz-brief-review.1499/

And of course lonestarboars YouTube

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
By IR Thermal do you mean the IR Hunter line?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And I would seriously like to help

Aquatic_Robotic

Thanks for info and yes IR Thermal Hunter. He says he will have " both models", but not sure what that means as there are several models on their website.

Unfortunately this is a brief look at a number of models with only a few hours to sort through them. I will have a chance later to use one or two I choose before I purchase. I don't expect a detailed or in depth utility of most units on this first outing, but just a brief quick look.

I will post my brief observations and thoughts, bearing in mind I am a complete newbie on thermals.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
As per earlier reviews, I would wait on the IR Hunter until you know the issues are solved. It looks like a promising scope, but as with anything new, could have some bugs.

Aquatic_Robotic

We are looking at thermal Wednesday night. He says he is bringing:

ATN Thor - several
Flir - several
IR Hunter - 2
armsight - 1

I am wanting:

quality & reliable
minimum 3x optical
fast acquisition and target identification from 25-200 yards
repeatable zero with excellent windage and elevation turrets
excellent battery life
quality video capability
fair price

What should I look for?? Any units that possess these qualities of the units he is bringing?

Thanks

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
640 core
$budget$????
repeatable zero is one thing, turrets is another
minimum 42mm glass
be sure to look at the 'clip on' style or type
how many hours at a time would your hunts last?

start with a T-75 and work your way down

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
We are looking at thermal Wednesday night. He says he is bringing:

ATN Thor - several
Flir - several
IR Hunter - 2
armsight - 1

I am wanting:

quality & reliable
minimum 3x optical
fast acquisition and target identification from 25-200 yards
repeatable zero with excellent windage and elevation turrets
excellent battery life
quality video capability
fair price

What should I look for?? Any units that possess these qualities of the units he is bringing?

Thanks

We talked earlier, but if something falls through with him, I have several like new Armasight demo units I am selling.

Aquatic_Robotic

BRD

Budget is not unlimited, but I just a long range rifle with a S&B on it so I have cash right now.

Delta

What model's do you have available and may be able to look at that specific model tomorrow night.

Do any you have fit most of the parameters I am seeking.

Thanks guys

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
BRD

Budget is not unlimited, but I just a long range rifle with a S&B on it so I have cash right now.

Delta

What model's do you have available and may be able to look at that specific model tomorrow night.

Do any you have fit most of the parameters I am seeking.

Thanks guys

I've pretty much got them all. I think I do have something that would fit the bill, but it really comes down to 3 things: Budget, distance, and how you want to use it (dedicated scope, clip on, hand held, so on)

Aquatic_Robotic

Budget $$?? $5-6ish

25-200 yds if possible

dedicated thermal scope no clip on

Heading out about 7:00 to see what my buddy has to offer. Will give a brief synopsis when done.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
BUY ONCE

Aquatic_Robotic

Looked at 7 units and bear in mind a complete thermal newbie. Short impressions of what we looked at. We had about 2 hours with the units and got to look hand held at livestock 50-150 yards. We then drove around 200 acres and spotted some deer and a coyote with some of the units weapons mounted. No firing was done as we had no opportunity or time to zero the units. His Flir units did not come so we did not have these units to review.

IR Hunter 336 3x
Zeus 3
ATN 320 1x
ATN 336 1x 19 mm
ATN 336 3x 30mm
ATN 640 3x 50 mm
ATN 640 5x 100 mm

We very quickly eliminated both the low end and high end of the ATN units. The lower end unit =320 just did not have the clarity of the 336 or 640. The 640 5x 100 mm was fantastic, but out of my budget for a first dedicated thermal weapon mounted unit. I will state that there's was noticeable in the 5x 640 unit and the other units. I did not notice I a vast increase in utility, FOR MY PURPOSES in the 336 and 640 with the 3x optical. The biggest thing I saw was the difference in the 30 & 50 mm lenses. I really preferred the 50 mm lens especially as the distance increased. The 3x optical was very close in what I think I want in a thermal unit. We spent most of our time, after a 30 minute overview of all the units with the 336 3x 30 mm and the 640 3x 50 mm ATN units.

The IR Hunter 336 3x was a very nice unit and despite not having a focus = auto focus it stayed in decent focus throughout all ranges we viewed. Since my time was limited and their have been numerous negative reviews here and other forums, I selected not to spend time in the filed with this unit. Once the bugs are worked out of the IR series, I think it will certainly be a very worthwhile unit to revisit.

The Zeus 3 was not on par with the mid range ATN units ( my very quick newbie opinion). The clarity and delineation at known objects in the 300-400 range was not very good compared to the the mid range ATN units. We were looking at some running water pumps, donkeys, and roosting birds at the 300-400 yards. The ATN 336 and 640 3 x units did very well at distinguishing characteristics and the Zues 3 did not at these distances.

I took the ATN 336 3x 300mm and ATN 640 3x 50 mm units into the field, both weapon mounted on AR platforms. We looked at deer and a single coyote. Deer at 75-175 yards were very easy to identify with both units. again at these distances I think the 50 mm leans was advantageous, but I could tell very little difference the 336 and 640 units. I obviously did not have time to use all the different programs on the units.

What I am doing is having my buddy get in a 336 3x with a 50 mm lenses for an in depth review. This is the unit I am leaning towards, but may find so little difference in the 3o mm and 50 mm lens that 8 opt for the smaller lens. I am suppose to get his demo ATN 336 3x 30 mm unit to use Sat- Sun. I hope to mount it and fire it over the weekend. Further review will follow.

Please bear in mind this was first look at thermal units and my first review. If there are any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great info thanks for posting the follow up. One thing I am interested in is between the THOR 336 3X Vs. the THOR 640 2.5X did you see a noticeable difference in overall image quality/image sharpness with the 640 scope? I'm also looking at buying one of these two scope models myself I'm just trying to figure out if its worth spending the extra cash for the 640 model.