Armasight Zeus 3, 320x256, 42mm 30 hz Brief Review

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The testing on the Zeus 3 was not as rigorous as on the IR Hunter (http://www.lonestarboars.com/threads/ir-hunter-320-2x-19mm-review.1497/#post-19894). The Zeus was provided to me for the purposes of comparison with the IR Hunter and was not the focus of my attention.

To be perfectly honest with you, I expected it to fail early on and basically have nothing to report but the failure. Previously, I had been able to look at 2 different Armasight NV scopes that did not hold up during recoil and would try to reboot after firing, and not always successfully. So I didn't expect the Zeus to do so well on a .308 bolt gun.

Here are my thoughts...

2. Image quality
3. Temperature sensitivity (able to see less hot items much better than with IR Hunter or FLIR PS32)
4. Objective focus, clarity of image
5. Sepia tone color palate option which seems to be a decent alternative to the typical white hot palate.
6. Ease of changing batteries

Dislikes:
1. Menu system is a bit cumbersome, though I did not have time to learn some of the shortcuts. The menu has a lot more options that one would normally leave (a lot of set and forget stuff) that I wasn't familiar with and I didn't have an instruction book to know which things to bypass or not, so I did a lot of navigating through menus which did not go real quickly.
2. Buttons to change selections were tough to use, not with good tactile feedback, and there was a delay between when the button was touched and the selection on the screen changed. In short, there is a bit of lag in the menu system.
3. A multitude of bizarre color options for the palate that I think virtually nobody will actually use for hunting.
4. Wish the display size could have been larger, though it was quite good.
5. Could not get the scope back far enough on my Rem 788 to get a proper eye cup shooting position. The scope seems better suited for an AR with a collapsible stock in order to get proper eye relief.
6. If you are not at the correct eye relief distance and are too far back, you get a bit of fisheye effect (this happens with some other scopes as well and is not unique to this unit).

So the scope was put onto a REM 788 bolt action rifle chambered in .308. I fired 9 rounds through it to get an approximate zero using mil surp 7.62x51 ammo that my rifle did not like (had trouble opening chamber after firing). I had planned on using a lot of this ammo for more extensive testing, but stopped using it when I had to use a cleaning rod to drive the case from the chamber. So I moved to my secondary quality ammo, Silver State Armory 150 gr. of which I didn't have as much (was just going to use it for zeroing after running a bunch of the mil surp through the rifle) and zeroed the rifle at 100 yards plinked using 16 rounds. So the total round count was 25 and I did not notice a single hiccup with the Zeus. After zeroing, it held zero just fine.

I took the rifle out hunting. Saw no hogs during the hunt. It really did a good job of letting me identify targets that I initially spotted with my FLIR PS32 but could not identify. Also, it showed vastly superior thermal sensitivity to everything. Hot items were much more of a visual "pop" than with the FLIR PS32 or IR Hunter. The image was more vibrant.

I had no trouble telling the differences between deer, cattle, and horses at 300+ yards in open, low grass terrain, though a sounds of hogs I spotted in high grass at about 150 yards took a few seconds of study before getting a solid ID. This was all on the drive home, so no footage of me shooting hogs. :-(

I don't know what the run time on the batteries is. It uses 2 sideways mounted cR123 batteries that I did not change (but did take out when I examined how to change them).

The Zeus looks like a promising scope. I knew nothing of Armasight's thermal line before being loaned this scope other than they had thermal scopes for sale. I still don't know much, but the unit I tested seemed to work very well.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the report

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes another good report. I will have to look into this one really never researched them much.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know these reviews are the reason for more people to join us at LSB, we need to share the links back to here for our FB fans to find the info!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, and I do apologize for this not being more in-depth. Had I more familiarity with the unit and more time, there would have been more detail. However as noted, I wasn't reviewing this unit, really, but the IR Hunter.

I will make this point in retrospect. The menu system is fairly extensive on the Zeus and in the time I piddled with it, I did not learn all the ins and outs or subtle differences in settings. I pretty much just found screen colors (palates) and a reticle design and color that worked for me, got zeroed, and went hunting....where upon I saw no hogs. There would have been video had I shot a hog, LOL. So the net result is that this is just a short review and that things seemed to work fine within the narrow parameters of what I was doing at the time.

I think most people do that, find the setting that they like and go with it. A lot of the features on a given scope may go unused. What I did not find on this scope and think should be on all thermal scopes is a white hot/black hot toggle (maybe it had it and I just didn't find it...I don't know). Those are the two most common color palates used by folks and should be readily accessible.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An Armasight dealer has volunteered a Zeus to be used when we do the thermal side by side test. I'm going to hold off and try and do it when been gets his IR Hunter back unless I can source one elsewhere. Still looking for a Thor and any flir options to add.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Brian -

Here is a video on the Zeus, it shows the Sepia color palette.

Screen is small but the image was a nice one.

Only thing I would add as noteworthy from my experience was that the Zeus auto-calibrates (NUC). The screen does a countdown to warn the hunter it is about to occur and there is the typical 1 second pause. Supposedly you can cancel out of it but by the time you find the button it has done its thing.

HTXH

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like that display, very clear

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
good review, I have been reading a lot in the last day about the ATN Thor and the Armasight Zeus, I really have to say I prefer the Zeus better. I think also since it has been around for awhile like the Thor, they have been fine tuned.

Notice that the Thor and the Zeus look very similar, apparently the guy that worked at or owned ATN, started the company Armasight? Just what I read online.

Anyways, I read about the flir guts on the Zeus and people (Mod Armory) said they are the latest thing and they had good faith in them, which I respect Mod Armory's opinion.

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have you say, that looks pretty promising. Since it had been out for awhile, read good reviews on it.

I can get the 336x256, 60hz unit, 3.4x Pal/2.8x NTSC from my dealer for $4995 shipped

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good idea Dave, folks should post what they can get each of these for in their areas or dealers.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My dealer has 5899.00 on the 336x42mm 30Hz model.
I think Dave is getting a special deal! I could not find it listed anywhere that low :)

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Elkbow :)

I think 30hz is sufficient, get the same specs on everything else but save hundreds going with a 30

My 2 centavos

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea you're probably right Ben, but I also look at resale value when I get one, the price he is giving me for a 75mm 60hz unit is well below what others want for a 42mm version

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
What's up with the elkbow stuff lol, BTW, elkbow isn't capitalized lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am sooo confused!~